Battle starship

That poor chief engineer! :D

Yeah that might not be good. Who knows how many times have they almost been destroyed because the captain's wife thought the bridge was too cold in the middle of a battle... ;)

:D

My wife loves get to the bed in a ice cold room.
I often see a nightmare that I am wandering around the snow storm field of north pole, looking for the toilet.:cry

As we learned in training from Space Trajectile Usage Project International Division....:lol guns do shoot in space.

You just need some way to counteract the force from the gun so you don't get thrown back. I am assuming this could be done with some kind of thrusters counteracting the blast

On a side note, you have to watch out though. If shooting in orbit around a planet for example, you could theoretically shoot yourself in the back :D

https://www.livescience.com/18588-shoot-gun-space.html

Fires can't burn in the oxygen-free vacuum of space, but guns can shoot. Modern ammunition contains its own oxidizer, a chemical that will trigger the explosion of gunpowder, and thus the firing of a bullet, wherever you are in the universe. No atmospheric oxygen required.
The only difference between pulling the trigger on Earth and in space is the shape of the resulting smoke trail. In space, "it would be an expanding sphere of smoke from the tip of the barrel," said Peter Schultz an astronomer at Brown University who researches impact craters.

Wow thanks for the info. That video is interesting.

katsu

Last edited by a moderator:
The latest progress here.

I've made a rest of the gun turret and finished the rough part of the nose section. Then I built an atmospheric engine air intake part.
It took whole day for just a single unit.

Air intake

WhVb3Fl.jpg

Making a turbine wheel.

sPIW6pX.jpg

qfwmco2.jpg

JmHJJNq.jpg

OiH05h6.jpg

Assembling

5hu5IBx.jpg

USFZONf.jpg

ISbJRai.jpg

And test fitting.

wd3abjd.jpg

S4nvtjC.jpg

GtOyker.jpg

PjsUKv6.jpg

VDBEjwC.jpg

TMjLyvV.jpg

The rest of the unit will be done by this weekend. I hope.

Thanks for looking.

katsu

Nice! And since the hull shields the intakes while the ship is traveling in space, there's not much danger of sucking a space pigeon into the engines.

Been away again traveling. Really enjoying the progress you are making in the last three weeks. Sweet!

Those cannons are awesome! Love the evolution from concept drawing to actual miniature. I imagine them being advanced hyper-sonic versions of Metal Storm technology. You get the metal projectiles, a canister of say 10 rounds loading and ejecting from the cannon as the barrels rotate, and massive amounts of projectile weight coming at the target. Scale wise compared to the people on the bridge they are at least what... 24" projectiles?

Have you considered raising the one in the back up higher to shoot over the one in front?

Impressive job on the engine intakes. As for mincing whatever enters them... space pigeons in = hot bento boxes out the other end. Mess is served. :lol

Been away again traveling. Really enjoying the progress you are making in the last three weeks. Sweet!

Those cannons are awesome! Love the evolution from concept drawing to actual miniature. I imagine them being advanced hyper-sonic versions of Metal Storm technology. You get the metal projectiles, a canister of say 10 rounds loading and ejecting from the cannon as the barrels rotate, and massive amounts of projectile weight coming at the target. Scale wise compared to the people on the bridge they are at least what... 24" projectiles?

Have you considered raising the one in the back up higher to shoot over the one in front?

Impressive job on the engine intakes. As for mincing whatever enters them... space pigeons in = hot bento boxes out the other end. Mess is served. :lol

:lol Otsukare-sama, Hagoth-san and thanks for the detailed technical explanations.

Actually I haven't decided the place for those canons to go.:p
I am working on this model for 5 to 6 hours every day except Saturday and Sunday everyday, every week.
But it seem no significant progress that I can show you though.

But anyway, here is the latest situation.

ztXzfp8.jpg

0al6NWP.jpg

7kwCoVs.jpg

Above is the looking tower for the shuttle and fighter launching catapult.

The allover build has been almost finished.

Nose section.

3geDoJV.jpg

DjaG33k.jpg

PxbpzL7.jpg

CfOnuoZ.jpg

x45qMgX.jpg

AHFqsql.jpg

s6qmXah.jpg

Aft section.

b35NvO0.jpg

ekOJURX.jpg

pOhb3HV.jpg

gyhQDMo.jpg

Engine intakes.

I7LjaMA.jpg

sJYk37X.jpg

DmGxsLd.jpg

u0q4yLH.jpg

PxbpzL7.jpg

tUrVgxk.jpg

1BAkmNB.jpg

gyhQDMo.jpg

As I look into it by myself, there are many place that I have to fix or mend.:facepalm

I will continue to build the detailing for the mid section.

Thanks for looking.

Last edited:
Katsu-San, I’ve loved every minute of your build, with all the finer details you are adding it is turning more and more into a truly amazing piece of hand crafted art , it will be a sad day when you finish this star ship:cry but it will also be a truly happy happy day when you start on another :D

Ben

I was wondering, while this model is metal of course, when you do use styrene, when making the outside of the ship (or whatever you are making), what thinkness do you use?
For my battlecruiser, I'm going with 2mm, which is pretty tough to cut, but figured it would make it stronger.

Yes, I completely agree with "wow." That's probably the word I use most often every time I scroll through this amazing thread.

Katsu-san, have you thought about what material you might use for your next build? Metal again or something else?

Otsukare-sama - Best I can translate is "good satisfying hard work". Lots of it and very well done. Respect on both ends. :thumbsup

5-6 hours a day. Sigh, I'm lucky to get 5 hours a week.

Each picture... all those impressive little details. Imaginative indeed! And how can I post and not repeat it, as others have stated... Wow!

As usual.. WOW

I'd love to have 5 to 6 hours a day for modeling. I guess that is one of the perks of retirement

Thanks for the comment and honestly, you are right, blakeh1-san.
I've always thought that the days after retirement would be so full filled and joyful.
And was true. 24 hours flies like an arrow.
You should look forward to the day to come.

Katsu-San, I’ve loved every minute of your build, with all the finer details you are adding it is turning more and more into a truly amazing piece of hand crafted art , it will be a sad day when you finish this star ship:cry but it will also be a truly happy happy day when you start on another :D

Ben

Thank you very much, Ben-san.

I'll tell you about the next model below.

I was wondering, while this model is metal of course, when you do use styrene, when making the outside of the ship (or whatever you are making), what thinkness do you use?
For my battlecruiser, I'm going with 2mm, which is pretty tough to cut, but figured it would make it stronger.

Michael-san, Thank you very much.

When I built last few model made of styrene, I mainly used 0.5 to 1.0 mm sheet.
2.0 mm sheet was even able to cut with scribe and snap method but I think it's too much thick unless you gonna use it for vacuum forming.

If you model would be over 1 foot long big, you should think about the stiff base structure. If your model would be over 6 foot or more, you may need the steel pipe armature. When I built a 2 foot model, I made a simple structure made of an acrylic plate of 3 to 5 mm thickness. If you don't have an appropiate circle saw, you should use a smaller acrylic plate and build up the base structure. If you use a proper acrylic glue, it's gonna be a very strong base structure.

Here are some pics of my previous work.

This is the basement structure of the model I am building now.
I've used 5 mm thick acrylic plates.

P2HcTMG.jpg

RETOJ1L.jpg

jfXa6gK.jpg

And this was for the 2 foot long star ship I built several years ago.
I've used 3 mm thick acrylic plates.

5LXpNOc.jpg

xMo0f1j.jpg

txo1jg1.jpg

QVwhkpk.jpg

And this was for the ground vehicle.
I've used 2 mm thick styrene sheet for the upper structure and
3 mm acrylic plates for the lower structure.

62OYzTA.jpg

OAng13t.jpg

q3e1woc.jpg

JQ6YeA3.jpg

meJMWvo.jpg

Yes, I completely agree with "wow." That's probably the word I use most often every time I scroll through this amazing thread.

Katsu-san, have you thought about what material you might use for your next build? Metal again or something else?

May be I mainly use metal again.
I'm now designing the new mech but as I go into it it look after AMEE. That was really A great design.

Here are some sketch for that. Promise me you don't laugh!!

DEt1Guh.jpg

3vQNHZx.jpg

WtKvZ0x.jpg

:facepalm

Ok,

As I salvaging those old pics above, I realized that the many pics in those thread of previous models are lost now.
So, let me salvage them again to recall the memory of your kind support and friendship.

Please be my guest for a while.

This is the first original model I built. Fully kit bashing model. 'Tempest' That was almost 10 years ago.
Using a 1/350 Tamiya Enterprise, 1/32 AH64 Apache, F-104, German 88 mm Flak gun and many more.
3 foot long. took one year to be finished.

68EVtKV.jpg

5rPXdjk.jpg

WbprdWv.jpg

UhpztjM.jpg

xFhNwch.jpg

r6ScqrZ.jpg

SKtSObb.jpg

ss2TbJv.jpg

Inside of the aft hanger deck.

SKJUOTB.jpg

On-board crafts.

2eiMh9x.jpg

2eiMh9x.jpg

OryQ4oz.jpg

4xx1Qpk.jpg

kM40CS6.jpg

0JeYFEb.jpg

heEmaHd.jpg

W7qns5V.jpg

EVkA6Wm.jpg

GtxZrBQ.jpg

qrVlYTH.jpg

AliqtWW.jpg

VTUj3C7.jpg

This is the star ship I built by full scratch.
2 feet long. 6 years ago.
Passenger ship. 'Hyperion'

xh60gyW.jpg

ZYcxQxW.jpg

BlgZEcf.jpg

Small beach with palm trees.

uDJt04i.jpg

ta0mCLV.jpg

n7fc9M2.jpg

grJRKT1.jpg

fUaPmAa.jpg

DZXxdRQ.jpg

AGzWj05.jpg

0JZH7Oa.jpg

Park, woods.

PIAksco.jpg

MaEIixD.jpg

OlZGd3O.jpg

sZTgUBC.jpg

Shopping street.

vhx9KF3.jpg

f7wImcj.jpg

6i4qrtp.jpg

Theater hall.

PbaBcVh.jpg

EdFJmRr.jpg

vNYEhMR.jpg

Dc5vKQf.jpg

iO2bCoC.jpg

7NtolWa.jpg

Nose hanger deck.

Vsd2UUC.jpg

Small landing ship.

u2p8r8J.jpg

udjUkLd.jpg

QavsgFj.jpg

jTCHPqH.jpg

And the Planet Explorer 'Taiowa'
20 inches long. full scratch model.

AmzZZAC.jpg

hk4BhKE.jpg

8I7IYuG.jpg

LAfXc9P.jpg

Gshs5oN.jpg

Meeting lounge

PaRJZl6.jpg

I5hl7iY.jpg

1JkSC6o.jpg

Labo, Medical.

gqg5HOC.jpg

xHPVi4J.jpg

2kyj0Wa.jpg

Cockpit

Lz2dud3.jpg

lRu5Upj.jpg

mDuFAJk.jpg

2jJQQ8H.jpg

8M2zL1J.jpg

VLwHSVs.jpg

xSoNF9m.jpg

G5pN4LE.jpg

I think my ship will be around 2 feet long. But I kind of make it up as I go, but I think 2mm should be fine, I just need to make sure it has a good support.
And those pictures of your older stuff.....why do we even all try......no competition. You'd win everytime.
Oh yeah, and the one ship you made called the Hyperion, funny is, the BattleCruiser I'm making. In StarCraft 2, theres an even bigger version also called the Hyperion. Look up Starcraft Hyperion and you can see pictures of it. Its crazy detailed. I don't think mine will be that detailed.

Thanks.

Only you should worry about is mind the warp of the styrene sheet.
No matter how its thick, it might getting warp in several years later, so just put something stiff material into is as a backbone.

And, no, you are wrong. Whatever things you can imagine, you can make it because you are a modeler.:thumbsup

Regarding #672....

Absolutely Bloody Brilliant !!! .... Katsu- san , Your good self , and , a couple of other RPFer’s I’ve had the great fortune to ‘ stumble upon ‘... here , honestly do blow my mind :eek:confused:p:$ .
I’m familiar with the 1st spacecraft ( the one that made me subscribe to your thread ! ). , the others are completely new to me . Thank you for sharing them again (?) ... Fantastic , imaginatively detailed ideas brought to life .

THANKYOU
:cheersGed

Last edited:
Thank-you for the trip down memory lane, Katsu-san! It was a real treat. I have been lucky that I only missed the first model, I think. It has been my great pleasure to follow you thrue your last three creations. I hope you never stop building. And you next concept looks inspiring. You decided to make something more "organic". I know it will be extraordinary! :)

I remember the Hyperion but had forgotten about all the rooms in it, not to mention the little landing ship that fits in the deck. In fact, I had forgotten a lot of details about some of these models.

Katsu-san, have you ever considered showcasing all of your models in a book-on-demand that people could purchase? It could be filled with several pages of each model being built and then a few beauty shots. I know that would be a lot of work but it might be worth considering. You've really created a collection here that deserves to be preserved and made accessible for years to come. And since internet sites can be very fickle (looking at you, Photobucket!), a physical book might be one possible answer.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back