Battle starship

Lovely progress!

I do like the rings, but I feel they detract from the squid motif you've got going. The lengthwise pipes in those trenches (to me anyway) evoke the tentacles, and the broad rings covering them break that up too much. Also, I'm not sure what practical purpose they serve in the fictional world this ship is a part of.

Just throwing in my two yen!

--Alex

Looking awesome.
Soooooo.......couldn't help myself. Even if your not done, its cool to see it flying.

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a382/JediMichael/Starship.jpg

Oooh, that's the great shot!!!. Looks like my ship is starring a scene of the movie.
You know, this pics rewards my few weeks miserable work.

That pic tells me that the metal surface will reflect the color of lighting of the surrounding environment.
If this ship turns and get in a good angle to catch the sunlight in a real space, it will be interesting.

Thank you so very much, Michael-san!

Lovely progress!

I do like the rings, but I feel they detract from the squid motif you've got going. The lengthwise pipes in those trenches (to me anyway) evoke the tentacles, and the broad rings covering them break that up too much. Also, I'm not sure what practical purpose they serve in the fictional world this ship is a part of.

Just throwing in my two yen!

--Alex

Thanks for telling me the persuasive opinion.
As you are watching my build so closely from the first place, your point of view is always worth hearing.
So far, I don't have a good idea for this part, Iwill move on to any other parts for now.
When the total tones and rythms will be revealed, the answer might come to me as usual.

Last edited:
More thoughts on engine pod side rings...

First off I really like them. They tie the top and bottom engine pod sections together and create additional depth of detail which is already fantastic.

As for functionality I imagine them as heat radiators for the engine systems. The outer surface of the panel (insulated from the inner surface) reflects a suns heat while the inner surface is shaded allowing internal system heat to be radiated into cold space regardless of which side of the ship is facing a sun. Could be radiators for dissipating excess shield energy as well if the ship is intended to have some kind of energy shields.

As for a sea life analogy they strike me as gills. Gills <=> radiators. makes sense to me. There are 5 of them so that makes this shark like. It is a battle starship after all. And tying into the squid analogy mentioned above who is to say that squid do not have 5 gills in the universe of this project? The possibilities of creation are endless. :D

What ever the musings, in the end I continue to be surprised by the directions this build is taking. It is a pleasure to watch it evolve. :cool

Keep up the great work Yummi-san!

Great idea using sheet aluminum instead of plastic sheet! I am going to have to steal that as soon as possible !!:D

Great build so far, can't wait to see more!!!:popcorn

More thoughts on engine pod side rings...

First off I really like them. They tie the top and bottom engine pod sections together and create additional depth of detail which is already fantastic.

As for functionality I imagine them as heat radiators for the engine systems. The outer surface of the panel (insulated from the inner surface) reflects a suns heat while the inner surface is shaded allowing internal system heat to be radiated into cold space regardless of which side of the ship is facing a sun. Could be radiators for dissipating excess shield energy as well if the ship is intended to have some kind of energy shields.

As for a sea life analogy they strike me as gills. Gills <=> radiators. makes sense to me. There are 5 of them so that makes this shark like. It is a battle starship after all. And tying into the squid analogy mentioned above who is to say that squid do not have 5 gills in the universe of this project? The possibilities of creation are endless. :D

What ever the musings, in the end I continue to be surprised by the directions this build is taking. It is a pleasure to watch it evolve. :cool

Keep up the great work Yummi-san!

Thank you very much for your profound consideration,Hagoth-san.
I am very proud to know that there's someone who concerned this build so much.

Your theory is very convincing to me. I didn't come to a thought that it's a radiation devices.It's a great idea. That'll give me some background for the further build of this part.

I am building this model for my fun of course but also I know many of my friends here watching my work very carefully.
That's why I don't want to build any part of this model with easy going way. And that turns out to me a bigger fun to me.

Great idea using sheet aluminum instead of plastic sheet! I am going to have to steal that as soon as possible !!:D

Great build so far, can't wait to see more!!!:popcorn

Thank you very much for the kind comment, srspicer-san.

I have been doing this tin toy work for more than a year.
Not much but there are some tips and technique I learned on this build.
I'm willing to share any of it with you anytime.
I hope your project will be a good one.

This morning, I had sit by my work bench and do nothing but thinking about the end cap of the engines for an hour.
And I stopped thinking and go for action anyway. Sometimes it gives me a solution.

I couldn't find the metal tube witn a appropriate diameter. Let's make it.

Then made a hubcap.

And it goes here.

Thank you very much for looking,

katsu

Last edited:
It's amazing to see how every little handmade piece breathes life into this model. I'm sorry if this is a dumb question, but what do you use to attach pieces like those end caps to the rest of the body — metal to metal? Thanks.

The lighting looks great!

Cool to see tubing made the "old fashioned way"

back in college I was working on a metalsmithing degree (I used to make jewelry) we had to hand make tubing for one of the classes out of sheet metal. I love that plastic form you used to help shape it.

It's amazing to see how every little handmade piece breathes life into this model. I'm sorry if this is a dumb question, but what do you use to attach pieces like those end caps to the rest of the body — metal to metal? Thanks.

Hi, Bones-san.

Thanks for asking.

For the smaller parts not being expected to have any tension or stress, I'm using a super glue.

You may have to wipe off the surface of the sheet metal cleanly because if you sanded the surface, fine powder dust will remain on the surface.

I'm using hot glue for the most of the parts especially for the wide area or large parts to attach strong.

Here's a little tip for hot gluing.

As you see the pic, use the burner to attach sheet metal tightly. Don't light the burner too long. Only 2 or 3 seconds is OK.
I'm using this small jet lighter.

Wipe off the excess glue out with thinner carefully.

Unlike the gluing with super glue, you can peel off and glue again very easy with using a burner.

The lighting looks great!

Cool to see tubing made the "old fashioned way"

back in college I was working on a metalsmithing degree (I used to make jewelry) we had to hand make tubing for one of the classes out of sheet metal. I love that plastic form you used to help shape it.

Wow, so you are an expert of the metal work. Please give me any suggestion for my further work from time to time.
The plastic form I used is maybe a tube core of the roll screen.:D

Here are some little progresses.

Not much progress but was took 6 hours.:sleep

This is the 70th box of bento ever since the day I started to cook.

It's a Hamburger bento this morning.

Tomato sauce rice and omelette. and meat ball.

Dry chicken curry rice.

Octopus rice with sausage and sweet egg roll.

Frilled fish and octopus rice.

Grilled salmon and fried Toufu.

Grilled chicken, salmon green pepper and Chinese steamed dumplings

They should give me a degree of bento cooking. :D

Thanks for looking!

katsu

Last edited:
Every time I come back to catch up on your build it makes me laugh out loud, I laugh with amazement on how your skills can turn little bits of metal into something amazing and breaths more life into your ship
katsu-San you are truly a talented and inventive human being

Ben

Thanks the reply and hot glue tips, all very helpful. Also, for some strange reason, I'm very hungry again. Hmmm...

You are welcome and thank you !!

Such skill and talent. Behind the scenes info is always so interesting... to me....

... I'm going to get something to eat...

Oh, you too?
Thanks!!

So true! I love this thread and always am eager for any updates.

Thanks for always, I'll post soon.

Even Katsu-san's meals look like art.

Thank you!:$
Here comes a season for the BBQ even here in Japan.
I may have to learn about the great art of American BBQ.:rolleyes

Today, I tackled a PC game DCS combat flight simulator.
Spent a couple of hours to beat Su-27 Flanker.

Screen_120831_233316.jpg_Thumbnail0.jpg

Thanks for looking.

The dangers of reading your posts when it's still over two hours before lunch... The lunches look amazing (even the octopus, I guess. :) )

I love what you're doing with the engines, especially how you made the "hubcaps."

Today, I tackled a PC game DCS combat flight simulator.
Spent a couple of hours to beat Su-27 Flanker.

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/upload/iblock/1da/Screen_120831_233316.jpg_Thumbnail0.jpg

Nice! Never played the game but from the looks of the HUD and what I can see of the canopy frame as well as the cannon fire coming from the right side I would guess you are in an F-15C Eagle?

You live a varied and rich life. Every time I read an update there is something surprising and delightful shared. I think it's good to have so many pass times that you are engaged in. Sharing all these aspects, even if somewhat off topic for the forum, make the actual thread topic so much more relevant to me and so highly enjoyable. Once again, thank you for such a unique thread. Just more context and insight to your creative and active mind.

The dangers of reading your posts when it's still over two hours before lunch... The lunches look amazing (even the octopus, I guess. :) )

I love what you're doing with the engines, especially how you made the "hubcaps."

Thanks Tom-san,
We are the minority nation love to eat the octopus. But it's tasty.:lol

It is so fun to pack up a small space of bento box with some variety of foods left in the refrigerator.:D

Nice! Never played the game but from the looks of the HUD and what I can see of the canopy frame as well as the cannon fire coming from the right side I would guess you are in an F-15C Eagle?

Yes, you are right. It's F15C.
DCS (Digital Combat Simulator) is the ultimate sim world for the combat flight sim fans. If you have a good PC and joysticks and head movement tracking system, you only have to buy the plane you want to fly. It's very convenient.,
So far, I own F-15C, A-10A, Su25 and P-51 Mustang.
Please check some YouTube video clip. You'll love it.

You live a varied and rich life. Every time I read an update there is something surprising and delightful shared. I think it's good to have so many pass times that you are engaged in. Sharing all these aspects, even if somewhat off topic for the forum, make the actual thread topic so much more relevant to me and so highly enjoyable. Once again, thank you for such a unique thread. Just more context and insight to your creative and active mind.

Thank you for your comment for me.

I thought I want you all to know the ordinary life of the people living in small island on the other side of this planet.
Sometimes I eat strange and creepy foods. But also I love my family and love housekeeping work just like you do.
And most of all, we can share the pure joy of model building. No contest, no competition.
And I thought maybe my off-topic things might help you to know and understand my thought for the model building.

Thanks again

I thought I want you all to know the ordinary life of the people living in small island on the other side of this planet.
Sometimes I eat strange and creepy foods. But also I love my family and love housekeeping work just like you do.

Woah, woah, woah! Easy now...
Housekeeping is something I have to do in order to have a dust-free environment for airbrushing models.
I don't enjoy it...

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back