Battle starship

I love getting these notifications.
Katsu-san, you are a true Master! Plastic, metalwork.. Incredible.
No matter what you use, you make it look so easy.

So glad to see you building again..
Jim

I love getting these notifications.
Katsu-san, you are a true Master! Plastic, metalwork.. Incredible.
No matter what you use, you make it look so easy.

So glad to see you building again..
Jim

Thanks Jim-san,

So far the progress is slow but I'm getting used to this metal work.
It's very fun to do.

katsu.

Those look like some very clean cuts and bends in your metalwork!

What's that blue foam spaceship in the first picture of your first post? Is that a mock-up of this one?

Hi! Mike-san,

Thanks for the comment.
I am using a 0.3 mm thick of aluminul sheet. You can cut the alumi sheet just like you cut the sheet plastic if the thickness is less than 1.5mm.
I am bending with my hands so far but looks like U.S provides many good tools for the metal sheet work like bead roller of BOSRON.
It seems many of those motorcycle fans are making their custom tanks or parts with these thick aluminul sheets.

Yes, that little blue thing is the rough mock-up of this one.
As usual, the finished model would be drastically different. :lol

katsu

Here are some progress on basic structure.

P_20160630_111532_zpsxjoj7dhu.jpg

P_20160630_112729_zpsnvnjxw8u.jpg

P_20160701_065252_zpsdbzcnez9.jpg

P_20160701_091434_zpseewz3gxc.jpg

P_20160701_091313_zpsyxxhorzg.jpg

P_20160701_123146_zpsppcteys7.jpg

P_20160701_155105_zpsj9fln65a.jpg

P_20160701_154026_zps19fy1rnx.jpg

P_20160701_154046_zpsw59wuicu.jpg

P_20160701_154120_zpsvhtncjn1.jpg

P_20160701_154148_zpsyiikxj0i.jpg

Thanks for looking.
Any question welcomed.

katsu

may i ask you a question and i do i no means want to offend you but do you have a autism spectrum disorder? why i ask? your attention to detail is something i see back in me and my son. we both fall into higher functioning autism and we both share the attention to detail if we do something. although we dont realy build models but we have rebuilding lawnmowers (yeah go on point and laugh :) ) as hobby and when we clean the things and repaint they look better that new.

again. sorry if the question is offending. it isnt meant to be, im just curious.

Hi, thanks for asking.

I have checked the syndrome on wikipedia but those symptoms haven't match with me so far.
I love the detail and love to build it but also I love it going easy.

Last edited:
Yyyyyyyeeeeeeeeeeeehhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaaawwwwwwwww your back, I missed your return , good luck launching your next ship,
now everyone else push along on the bench and shush

Hi! Vacformedhero-san,

Thank you very much for dropping by and sending me a cheerful comment for the launch.

Hi! Andrew=san

Long time no see, How are you ?

Thank yo very much!

katsu

Battle in space

I have seen many Sci-Fi movies featuring space battle sequences. Many of them are completely fantasy like Star Wars. On the other hand, some nearly realistic movies as Star Treck. But I've never seen avery realistic one.

Most of those space battle scenes were using some laser beam or some kind of unknown energy beam weapons. Most of the starship is able to maneuver freely like the aircraft. Recently, I have been thinking that how you fight the real space battle in a realistic environment and realistic technology which we are able to foresee. It must be interesting to speculate what it will be. Before I start describe, maybe I should put some condition on it.

Fighting ship:
Battleship has been designed and built by known or possible technologies and should be controlled by human races not by an alien from outer space. It doesn’t matter if it’s intercontinental war orcolonial or civil war but any way no aliens.
The size of a battleship or a cruiser equipped with conventional thruster. No warp drive. Maneuver is possible with vector thruster.
Gravity control, basically no.

Sensors:
Radar and optical sensor
What else? Gravity anomaly detector? Hum…..

Weapons:
Magneto electric rail gun
Conventional cannon
Some said that if you fire gun in space, it may cause vacuum deposition phenomenon(what?) and it make the gun jammed. I have never heard or seen someone fired gun in space in a long history of US space project. Or would no gunpowder isignited in the ultra-low temperature of the universe? Maybe NRA knows that?
High power laser cannon
Guided Missile (Torpedo) with restricted maneuverability
Multiple Launch Rocket System

Other
Stealth capability, cloaking and countermeasure system

Well, let’s start

Target detection and designation

Combat Range
Possible combat range in real space battle should be limited by its sensor capability and effective range of the weapon. The conventional warfare used fought on the surface or sea hasn’t been bothered by the response time of using sensor system.
In the aerial combat on the earth, the response of the radar or laser is instant. Even in a sea sub combat, the sound speed is much faster than that of in the air and the speed of the weapon like torpedo is rather slow than any other surface or an aerial weapons. Unlike the battle on planet surface, the possible combat range in real space battle would be limited by its sensor capability. The speed of electro magnetic radiation such as light, radar beam would be the factor to determine the battle range. For example, if you fight the foe in the distance of earth and moon, the dot on your radar scope is about 3 seconds old. That time rag might be the fatal in the future combat scene. Computer may continuously calculate the possible enemy position instantly but still it may be limited by its distance anyway. Also the stealth capability, somecloaking device and counter measure might make the battle range closer. No enemies might be appeared as it is in the battle condition. Like every soldier wears a camouflage uniform and hides behind the cover. Every fighter plane deploys chaff and flares. Every submarine launch counters measure and go silent mode. So, why not for space battle? Complete pitch black back ground of star field should be easy to hide the matte black painted hull and the future radar stealth technologies might easy to make whole battleship vanished.And of course, decoys. Thousands of decoyswill be deployed at the moment they come in range of the sensors. Thesefactors of battle would be concluded that the battle in space will possibly befought in close quarters or point blank range. Close enough to verify anddesignate the enemy vessel by Mk.1 Eye Ball Sensor. The first shot would be the key to victory. If you missed the first shot or fired upon a wrong target, you will be counter attacked immediately. After that, the battle moves to hit enemyas much as possible and to withstand to be hit. You may have to have many and valuable high power weapons.
Here in a space, to hit the target is rather easier than that of the planet surface. You don't have to consider about the drag of air, humidity, bullet drop and ballistic even a firing ranges. Once the bullets leave the muzzle, it will neither be getting slow nor dropping down. Never ever. The bullets keep the power forever. The ballistic computing will be easy enough even for the hand held computer. Time to impact target and lead angles and that's all. Sniper in space is going to be a boring occupation.
Oh, yes, you should think about the recoils. Thus the laser cannon would be one of the ideal weapons for this kind of battle if it has an enough power to penetrate the armor plates of the enemy vessel. When you fire the physical bullet, you'll have to face the action and reaction issue. But that's not the major problem at all. Put the weapons on a big and heavy platform like old WW2 battleship and some ah.. Good stuffing or something like automatic counter thrust system might absorb the recoil. …I guess..
Also you may need to cover the vessel with thick armor plates. It’s heavy and cost you to build and bring it up to space ship yard but hey, it’s the things in the future. The government will find new financial resources. Just raise our tax.
Of course, you can be equipped with some guided weapons like missile or torpedoes. However, as you know the maneuverability of those projectile or flying objects may be very restricted in the space. Control wings like rudder or aileron won't work. Only some vector thruster will be effective to guide them to the target.
The most effective tactic is simple. The concentrated barrage fire in a close distance.
You see the opponent coming closer head on in a rather faster velocity.
When in range, blow counter thrust and kill the speed.
At the moment you are passing through opposing side by side.
You open fire.
Thousands of bullets and rockets fill the space between each other.
View from the third person perspective, hell of a furious firefight in complete silence.
View from the first person perspective,canned in a drumming thunder.
When you passing by, gain speed as quickly as possible and take enough spacing to turn around and get back to the second match.

The real space battle would be silently but more dramatic and dynamic than I thought at the first place. It may remind me the great fleet battle happened in WW2. 'Battle of Tassafaronga' November 30 1942.

Thanks for reading.

KF

Last edited by a moderator:
Well thought out!

Depending on what sort of engines and maneuvering thrusters the ship might have, it could be possible to track the enemy with infrared sensors, but only when the ship is maneuvering. I would imagine that it would be very much like combat between two submarines.

Also I think drones would be very useful in space combat. That said, if they weren't completely autonomous, the drones' signals could be detected, which could lead back to whatever ship is controlling them.

Well, if we're going to bring realistic physics into the space combat model, then you don't get to have stealth in space at all. Period. Any maneuvering rocket is going to have to burn hot enough to be seen easily from many light-hours away. Even if you do your burns at a considerable distance and approach on a purely ballistic trajectory, (1) you probably were being tracked when you did your burns, (2) you're going to take forever to reach your objective in a Holman orbit, and (3) the shipboard systems just to keep your crew alive are going to be hundreds of degrees hotter than surrounding space and you'll always be visible on infrared. You can't perpetually store your heat on board, you'll have to have radiators to expend it into space to not cook your crew. (This is even an issue with real life space craft... the reason why the NASA space shuttle always orbited with its payload doors open is that the thermal radiators were built into the doors so they radiated to space to keep the crew comfortable.)

Some have suggested that you could route all of your cooling to radiate off the back of your attack ship so the target couldn't see it, but that only works if your target is stationary and has no eyes elsewhere. But even if you have no patrol craft and you're a stationary facility, if you are in a setting where space battleships are practical, then you would have the capability of peppering the area around you with fairly passive observation satellites which would be more than able to locate any incoming aggressor. (In fact, the technology to build and deploy such satellites is already mature today, but, fortunately for us, space battleships are not yet a credible threat.)

No doubt, you would have some sort of electronic countermeasures suite to give you a bit of an edge on spoofing the incoming fire. Also maybe chaff and the like will have an application. Decoys would not be that useful as they would need to have the same mass and engine performance as your real ship in order to fake out your enemy. The burn characteristics of a ship would be so specific that you would probably be able to ID specific vessels by their engine plume, much like modern sonar can ID specific ships be the sounds of their engines, though on a much farther range, as, again, plumes are visible for several light-hours. At that point you might as well just build additional warships. (I've speculated about a spacefaring nation that would subsidize merchant freight ships that operated within a mass and engine performance range that matched their warships to provide cover for their military movements.)

You probably also wouldn't have much armor at all. More and more mass with make bigger and bigger demands on the rocketry to actually maneuver this beast. It would require more and more volume of the ship to be concerned with carrying propellant and decrease the ability to carry tactical systems. Realistic space battleships would likely be open frameworks with hard-points for weaponry and the propulsion bus and little else. Very likely, space combat would be like jet or most submarine encounters: one hit, one kill.

This is a fascinating topic, but I gotta get to work this morning. It'll be great fun to see how this discussion influences your design!

--Alex

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back