The Legend of Zelda Series

Late to the party but...

I had the Legend of Zelda, Link's Adventures, and played my buddy's A Link to the Past on my SNES. They are the only ones I played and enjoyed. I started...I can't remember the name, the first one on the 64 or Gamecube maybe...the one where you start out with Link as a kid. It was my friend's but I had moved onto Playstation/PS2 at that time so it didn't really interest me so I only played it for a couple of hours. I honestly haven't played any of them since...but now I'm feeling the itch to play the first 2...I think I have them on my emulator...

I'm a huge fan.
windwaker changed my life. I hadn't played a game since about '93.

But then in 2005 I broke up with a girlfriend. The type of girl who hated sci-fi.

Anyway, in order to get my life back I marched into Walmart and bought a GameCube and windwaker. It was like I was 8 years old having an adventure in the woods at the cottage.

My favorite Zelda Is definitely twilight princess. (Mind you, I wish the score was better) the latest one on the 3ds was also amazing

But I'm VERY skeptical around this open world Zelda. And I pray to the triforce that there isn't any online play.

If I were to reinvent Zelda i would do it with setting, not with style. One of the greatest things about the series is that concept of "all this has happened before and will happen again" scenario. So they need to play with that a bit more. As fun as it is playing out this battle in medieval hyrule, why don't they let the world evolve a bit. Wouldn't it be great to see hyrule in a futuristic setting? Or even modern day? What if the "rebirth" of hyrule became a part of the plot?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
By the way, for any of you Zelda fans out there who are interested, you should definitely check out "beyond good and evil". Very similar gameplay and it has one hell of a story

As fun as it is playing out this battle in medieval hyrule, why don't they let the world evolve a bit. Wouldn't it be great to see hyrule in a futuristic setting? Or even modern day? What if the "rebirth" of hyrule became a part of the plot?

I think a TRULY modern setting would be an absolute disaster ( I'm talking like present day, Link riding around on a Harley) but my personal vision for a more modern Hyrule would be something akin to the "Legend of Korra" setting. Diesel/steam punk tech, larger cities etc. but still rooted in a bit of that medieval fantasy world. Maybe even have a situation where Hyrule has gone through a period of rapid industrialization only to be attacked by some ancient threat from the Spirit Realm. I don't want to see Link wielding a gun obviously so I would keep firearms FAR away from all of this, but it would be fun to explore some big mechanized city surrounding the ruins of Hyrule Castle

I think a TRULY modern setting would be an absolute disaster ( I'm talking like present day, Link riding around on a Harley) but my personal vision for a more modern Hyrule would be something akin to the "Legend of Korra" setting. Diesel/steam punk tech, larger cities etc. but still rooted in a bit of that medieval fantasy world. Maybe even have a situation where Hyrule has gone through a period of rapid industrialization only to be attacked by some ancient threat from the Spirit Realm. I don't want to see Link wielding a gun obviously so I would keep firearms FAR away from all of this, but it would be fun to explore some big mechanized city surrounding the ruins of Hyrule Castle
Obviously I don't mean modern day earth. I mean hyrule. And link is still a boy. Not a badass assassin or anything.

Tatl from Majora's Mask is my choice out of the two fairy companions

i always felt ripped off with that story line... tatl gets stuck with you... i felt like it was a cheap explanation of keep the game mechanic around. if they made a 3rd game with Z targeting how would that fairy join you?

i always felt sad at the end of ocarina of time when navi leaves you at the end and goes into the light... like she's fading from existence... god i love this game

Obviously I don't mean modern day earth. I mean hyrule. And link is still a boy. Not a badass assassin or anything.

yeah I gotcha, I didn't think you were implying a game set in our present, I've just seen people's ideas like that and it always sounds terrible to me. I'm personally okay with Link being a little older in a potential future installment, more in the late teens-twenties range, but I don't think it's completely necessary.

i always felt ripped off with that story line... tatl gets stuck with you... i felt like it was a cheap explanation of keep the game mechanic around. if they made a 3rd game with Z targeting how would that fairy join you?

i always felt sad at the end of ocarina of time when navi leaves you at the end and goes into the light... like she's fading from existence... god i love this game

well in Windwaker the Z targeting mechanic is unexplained and is just part of the game without a fairy, so that worked pretty well. Don't get me wrong I love Navi, I just have a personal affection for Tatl for some reason, probably just because I really enjoy the world of Majora's mask.

yeah I gotcha, I didn't think you were implying a game set in our present, I've just seen people's ideas like that and it always sounds terrible to me. I'm personally okay with Link being a little older in a potential future installment, more in the late teens-twenties range, but I don't think it's completely necessary.

well in Windwaker the Z targeting mechanic is unexplained and is just part of the game without a fairy, so that worked pretty well. Don't get me wrong I love Navi, I just have a personal affection for Tatl for some reason, probably just because I really enjoy the world of Majora's mask.

i totally forgot about that!!! yes! i remember now! wow can't believe i forgot that

i totally forgot about that!!! yes! i remember now! wow can't believe i forgot that

it really is such an important part of the 3D games that I bet they probably just didn't care how it was explained for the sake of stronger gameplay. I can't imagine the series without it now

It's amazing to see a zelda thread from before BOTW came out.

All of my skepticism about an open world zelda has been put to rest. In a way, BOTW was the game that ruined zelda for me. I don't know if I can go back and play those closed system games. This new one also showed me how brilliant the first one is.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back