Stranger Things (Netflix)

You know they're gonna do time travel. But they have their work cut out if they are going to take S2's taste out of my mouth.

This. I need something that feels tighter and more linear than S2. My initial hope was that they would only do a few seasons of it before they closed the arc with the group that we have now. One of the big attractions to the first season was that it recaptured a bit of my youth. These kids are getting older fast, so they better figure out the end of the arc before we end up in a high school drama.

There's something really appealing about taking a scifi/ horror/ adventure narrative and packing it into a setting focused on the age of innocence. Kids create really interesting situations and a bit of comedy. High schoolers are just terrible people. I don't want to see what our young heroes are like in high school.

Doesnt Hawkins seem like a tiny podunk town that never would have even had a mall? I know why theyre doing it...nostalgia, but it just seems weird.

Doesnt Hawkins seem like a tiny podunk town that never would have even had a mall? I know why theyre doing it...nostalgia, but it just seems weird.

Nope, it just seems like a regular small town that would have had a Pic 'N' Save and one video store. In fact, Hawkins seems way too much like my hometown circa 1980s.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hawkins is an interesting place.

From what I understand, the series was originally supposed to take place in a real place, Montauk, NY...which has a population of like 3,500 people.

This suggests it’s fairly small.

However, it has the county coroner’s office, which suggests it’s the county seat, and most likely the largest town in its immediate area. It also has a general hospital, which again suggests it’s the largest town in the area. It’s officially the City of Hawkins, which in general suggests it’s slightly larger, but different states have different laws for how cities/villages/towns are classified. I also remember Hopper mentioning a mayor, which again suggests it’s a bit larger.

So let’s say it’s something in the lower 10,000s...like 20,000. Is that enough to entice a developer to open a mall? Probably not...but...if it’s the central location and largest town within several rural counties, I’d think it’s entirely possible. Remember...this is the 80s and malls were the future of retail...not today when malls are ancient relics that nobody wants to go into.

In southern Illinois there are a bunch of small towns with a larger town in the vicinity that was usually a hub, with all the big stores and a mall like this. Hawkins might just be in the middle of a bunch of smaller towns where a mall like this would be a perfect spot... besides, it was big enough to support a large "government" building ;)

stranger-things-gamestop.jpg

Those Ghostbusters figures make me more excited about those kids being the new Ghostbusters over the recent film they made. But then I come back to reality knowing that was just a season 2 highlight.

I have been home sick with strep throat. I ended up finally bindge watching season 1 yesterday.

I am in freak’n love with this show!! I wish I started watching it when everyone was telling me to

I just started watching season 2 last night, i haven’t finished yet maybe today depending on how i feel, but does anyone know when season 3 is suppose to come out?

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back