Stranger Things (Netflix)

I finished this around the middle of the month, and it was INCREDIBLE. I'm really looking forward to Season 2, which I hope is a little longer but still just as compelling. And I hope Eleven comes back.
Agreed on all counts.
More episodes would allow them to build the characters, and expand on backstory. For starters, we've not seen all the kids' parents, and it'll be interesting to see more of Will in the 'real' world.
Mostly, Eleven has to come back, maybe not right away, maybe we only get glimpses where she's the one trapped this time.. but without her I'm not sure the show would be as strong, even though all the kids are great actors.
Of the secondary characters, I was really enjoying Nancy and Jonathan. Simple things, such as when they discover she can shoot better so she has the gun - no argument or resentment.
Is Barb really dead? Probably, which is a shame because I like her. But the creators has promised 'Justice for Barb' so I'm keen to see what they mean by that.
Prediction: I think the Theslhydra (sp?) is a red herring. It would be too on the nose if that was the next big monster.

They've announced the episode titles, so it will still be a shorter season, judging by that. And really, I'm glad they keep it short. One of my favorite aspects of season 1 is that it is short enough that it plays out like a long movie. I hope season 2 has the same sort of feel, and plays out like the sequel.

I'm really afraid Season 2 will be more a product of its popularity than of the original vision that created the first season. Its already showing its being influenced by fan reaction and desires. I dont want to see something that is constantly referencing itself and winking at the audience, so I just hope it doesnt go that way.

I'm really afraid Season 2 will be more a product of its popularity than of the original vision that created the first season. Its already showing its being influenced by fan reaction and desires. I dont want to see something that is constantly referencing itself and winking at the audience, so I just hope it doesnt go that way.

The brothers have stated they have plans for several seasons worth of material for the show. http://screencrush.com/stranger-things-several-seasons-plan/

I would be curious to know what you think this “influence” from the fan base is so far.

Well first off, anything relating to Barb. Right after the show came out they basically said "yeah, Barb is dead, done." Now they have to address it more because people demand it. And bringing back Eleven, if they hadnt planned on doing it, they almost certainly have to now, since she's been such a focus of fan reaction to the show. All I'm saying is I hope it's success doesnt influence it too much going forward. One of the things that made it great was that it came out of nowhere and did it's own thing.

Hey, here comes the merchandise! https://funko.com/blogs/news/stranger-things-are-happening-at-funko

Last edited by a moderator:
Well first off, anything relating to Barb. Right after the show came out they basically said "yeah, Barb is dead, done." Now they have to address it more because people demand it. And bringing back Eleven, if they hadnt planned on doing it, they almost certainly have to now, since she's been such a focus of fan reaction to the show. All I'm saying is I hope it's success doesnt influence it too much going forward. One of the things that made it great was that it came out of nowhere and did it's own thing.

Hey, here comes the merchandise! https://funko.com/blogs/news/stranger-things-are-happening-at-funko

Barb is dead. They've never wavered on that. And from as recently as the weekend after the episodes went live, there have been comments from the brothers that season 2 would deal with some of the fallout of Barb's disappearance.

I think you're reading more into it than ought to be, personally.

Also... HELLS YEAH, they're going to put out merch. Productions like that aren't cheap and the income to Netflix will mean they can keep the budget where it needs to be, Also, I want an 11 Funko for my desk to join what my husband affectionately terms my "Funko Assault Squad"!

Last edited by a moderator:
all the lobbying to bring back Barb... they clearly didn't see the prop body for her...

She insides are mostly on her outside.

I don't think they expected Barb to be so popular. It's a shame she's dead, because she seemed so interesting. Also, while we'd like to believe we'd be one of the main-characters in the adventure if something like this happened for real - most of us know we're really more like Barb: Redshirt monster-fodder.

I don't think they expected Barb to be so popular. It's a shame she's dead, because she seemed so interesting. Also, while we'd like to believe we'd be one of the main-characters in the adventure if something like this happened for real - most of us know we're really more like Barb: Redshirt monster-fodder.

See, to me, what made Barb compelling wasn't that she was interesting. It's that she was the every-girl. Literally, every girl in high school either had that friend they dragged along to be their excuse for getting out of the house to see the cute boy or they WERE the girl that got dragged along. She was extremely relatable for the women who watch the show and more than anything, I think, is why she resonated so powerfully.

That's why she was interesting to me, because she was 'ordinary'. she wasn't the 'victim that sets the series in motion' or the girl that realises that, gosh-darn-it, she can kick ass. She was just a dork, who knew Nancy's bras well enough to know she was wearing a new one... and then she died.

That's just it, the third wheel drag-along gets screwed over, and with the monster and all, that was simply brought to its extreme.

See, to me, what made Barb compelling wasn't that she was interesting. It's that she was the every-girl. Literally, every girl in high school either had that friend they dragged along to be their excuse for getting out of the house to see the cute boy or they WERE the girl that got dragged along. She was extremely relatable for the women who watch the show and more than anything, I think, is why she resonated so powerfully.

^^spot on, everyone knew or had a friend like her

Just read those casting additions, and I also approve.

This was an amazing set of episodes in that first season...something I didn't really expect, and to me it came out of left field because I hadn't really heard anything about it until a coworker asked me if I was going to watch it. Started the first episode one night, finished the last like two nights later...which for me is about as much of a "binge" as possible with my schedule.

I really enjoyed everything about it, and from what I've read the Duffer Brothers have quite a bit of material that they want to continue to explore, so I have really high hopes for the next season as well.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back