Bandai 1/72 PG Millennium Falcon (also the Revell Germany rebox)

Re: Bandai 1/72 Millennium Falcon

Has this been posted yet?

884A79BB-C063-4D04-916F-8E836A4AEC91.jpeg

So let me guess, they won't be able to distribute outside Japan and it will be a Bandai store exclusive

I don't mind the poses, they can be modified. It's mostly the facial likeness and helmets that are hard to scratch build. Repositioning arms and legs is pretty easy

I am about half way through weathering the cockpit quadrant, and while looking at reference photos, I think I have found a little detail which is missing from the kit.

It's this thing.

1979mpc_r.jpg1979mpc_r2.jpg

The thing isn't there in the photos of the 5 footer taken in exhibitions, but instead a black line and a dot, which might be traces of the thing that was once there.

1979mpc_r3.jpg

Looking at the Chronicle book, the thing looks to be there in the publicity photos taken right after the model was finished, but had fallen off by the time the monochrome photos where taken in 30th Oct. 1978.
Since Bandai must have done a very thorough research to reproduce the 5 footer in its initial state, I am not really confident about my discovery, but I made the thing as I see it in the publicity photos, and attached it to my model.

DSC06206rs.jpg

I can easily remove it anyway if I find that it was wrong.

Good eye! However, I'm more impressed with your paint work. I can't wait to see it when you're done. May I ask how you did your little blast marks? They look so much better than mine.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I am about half way through weathering the cockpit quadrant, and while looking at reference photos, I think I have found a little detail which is missing from the kit.

It's this thing.

Looks like it might be a sledge hammer from a tank kit.

It's this thing.

Boy, it's virtually impossible to see in the screen grabs from ANH whether the piece is there or not. Clearly the piece was intended to be there, since we can see the black primer under the base coat where the piece originally sat. So I think you're right. It was likely there originally, but fell off relatively quickly -- either during the shooting of ANH or shortly thereafter. Since it was obviously intended to be there, I think you're right to add it. I think I'll do it too. Great find!

It's definitely there in this photo of the Falcon from '77, so I think you're safe to add it, Lab. I'll keep looking through screen grabs.
1977 copy.jpg

Edit: Confirmed! It was there during the filming of ANH! The piece definitely needs to be there. You are the MAN, Lab!
1977 mystery piece 2.jpg1977 mystery piece 1.jpg

Last edited:

Wow! So Lab, how did you scratchbuild the piece? I'll need to add it as well.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Thank you for the many comments. I am grateful for all the info.

May I ask how you did your little blast marks?
Those were done with Tamiya's weathering master, plus sharpie-type markers.

Wow! So Lab, how did you scratchbuild the piece? I'll need to add it as well.
I just used a wire lead that I chopped off from a resistor that I used for the engine lighting, plus a chip of plastic that I sliced off from one of the tabs of a sprue of this very kit.
But now that the doner part is specified, there might be better ways to resemble it, like transplanting the equivalent thing from a 1/100 tank kit.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back