Bandai 1/72 PG Millennium Falcon (also the Revell Germany rebox)

Re: Bandai 1/72 Millennium Falcon

As long as you aren't flooding the surface, model paint skin should be thinner than the human eye can detect, and thus not a concern of filling in detail.

And honestly I've done some pretty serious flooding on test pieces with both Vallejo and Tamiya just to get a feel for what I could get away with. These paints are extremely self-leveling and I really can't see them obscuring even the smallest detail when sprayed in any reasonable way. Same goes for the Tamiya rattle cans, which I used for years.

I HAVE seen some great models done by weathering right over the plastic, of course, but there's really no need to worry about ruining details with paint.

Just so I'm clear, the cockpits can be swapped out by just pulling off the canopy? Or do you need to pull the two halves apart?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Just by pulling off the canopy. The back half of the set interior will remain inside the cockpit tunnel regardless of which cockpit interior sits beneath the canopy cover.

I basically just pressed the saw against the front edges of the side walls and carefully sawed straight down (hopefully that makes sense, you can kind of imagine it from the image -- I could also post another image showing exactly what I did). It really does not change the aesthetic of the set interior.

Last edited:

I HAVE seen some great models done by weathering right over the plastic, of course, but there's really no need to worry about ruining details with paint.

I haven't. Plastic is translucent, and thus betrays it's nature as plastic without a paint job. The translucency itself can make detail appear soft that would otherwise be sharp under primer/paint.

I haven't. Plastic is translucent, and thus betrays it's nature as plastic without a paint job. The translucency itself can make detail appear soft that would otherwise be sharp under primer/paint.

Oops, yes you're right. Very good point. And internal lighting would bleed through. Forgot all about those.

I mean I really have seen some stuff done that way that I think looks good. The examples blakeh1 posted above look good. I'd probably never do it myself. For me the whole point of buying a model IS to paint it, that's the fun part!

This

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Paint question for the experts. Is Polly Scale Reefer White a reasonable equivalent, color-wise, to Floquil Reefer White? I've got a bottle and I'm holding it against the PG sprues and it looks pretty damn close.

Also, I found a rattle can of actual Floquil Reefer White enamel. If I decanted that, would I be looking at the same paint ILM used on the original?

Paint question for the experts. Is Polly Scale Reefer White a reasonable equivalent, color-wise, to Floquil Reefer White? I've got a bottle and I'm holding it against the PG sprues and it looks pretty damn close.

Also, I found a rattle can of actual Floquil Reefer White enamel. If I decanted that, would I be looking at the same paint ILM used on the original?

I was chatting to Guy Cowan on fb the other day about the Falcon base coat & he said that the Falcon was painted Floquil Reefer White with Rattle cans

J

All these were weathered keeping the original Bandai plastic color, no basecoat, unpainted.

IMG_0748 by Oscar Baez Soria, on Flickr

IMG_0739 by Oscar Baez Soria, on Flickr

IMG_5130 by Oscar Baez Soria, on Flickr

IMG_5155 by Oscar Baez Soria, on Flickr

269A4422 by Oscar Baez Soria, on Flickr

269A4463 by Oscar Baez Soria, on Flickr

It can be done. In the case of this Falcon I dont have a clue how effective it can be. Perhaps I will grab one in the near future and have a better opinion later on, but, you can indeed keep the plastic original color and weathered effectively.

Yeah, that AT-AT was one thing I was thinking of when I said I'd seen some nice stuff done this way. I remember seeing it when you first posted it.

I'm uncertain how the weathering on these models is going to be as durable without a base coat to adhere to.

I'm uncertain how the weathering on these models is going to be as durable without a base coat to adhere to.

Im not. The plastic usually receives a light sanding to get rid of the excessive shine, weathering is applied and then seal with a matte clear coat. Also the plastic could receive a matte clear coat initially to serve as a primer or clear primer can be used. Bandai colors are spot on. I consider a futility to apply a basecoat that is close or almost exactly as the plastic original color and call it a success when the original color can be easily used.

All these were weathered keeping the original Bandai plastic color, no basecoat, unpainted.

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7677/27641668410_4d528e2b9b_z.jpgIMG_0748 by Oscar Baez Soria, on Flickr

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7139/27920168465_f34248e42f_z.jpgIMG_0739 by Oscar Baez Soria, on Flickr

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/543/31943049211_6dc62871fb_z.jpgIMG_5130 by Oscar Baez Soria, on Flickr

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/733/32022963956_43dc10dd4e_z.jpgIMG_5155 by Oscar Baez Soria, on Flickr

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4222/35209611416_37ff2d2e6c_z.jpg269A4422 by Oscar Baez Soria, on Flickr

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4288/35209762526_2a8d20035a_z.jpg269A4463 by Oscar Baez Soria, on Flickr

It can be done. In the case of this Falcon I dont have a clue how effective it can be. Perhaps I will grab one in the near future and have a better opinion later on, but, you can indeed keep the plastic original color and weathered effectively.

They can look fine under certain lighting conditions, but as soon as a strong light source hits them, such as a studio light for photography, the thin bits will have light shine through them and glow.

I was chatting to Guy Cowan on fb the other day about the Falcon base coat & he said that the Falcon was painted Floquil Reefer White with Rattle cans

J

So it's THE paint? Man, I'm scared of the rattle can. With the smaller detail on the PG I think I would want to decant it and thin it before airbrushing.

Are there any thoughts on Polly Scale being an equivalent?

They can look fine under certain lighting conditions, but as soon as a strong light source hits them, such as a studio light for photography, the thin bits will have light shine through them and glow.

Incorrect. Not in my opinion. They look fine in all lighting conditions. Another hobby of mine is photography, have used such lights and that has never been an issue. Most of my images use natural light because I prefer it that way. Either way if that worries you you could very well apply a coat of matte black paint on the side. I have yet still to find a reasonable argument to paint this models with a basecoat. Bandai just nailed the hues. The figures I have made followed the same procedures as my ships with excellent results. If you have images of models that show what you claim please feel free to prove me wrong.

IMG_2022 by Oscar Baez Soria, on Flickr

IMG_3943 by Oscar Baez Soria, on Flickr

IMG_3969 by Oscar Baez Soria, on Flickr

IMG_0876 by Oscar Baez Soria, on Flickr

IMG_9670 by Oscar Baez Soria, on Flickr

IMG_9695 by Oscar Baez Soria, on Flickr

IMG_0632 by Oscar Baez Soria, on Flickr

So it's THE paint?

kyK06vrm.jpg

if somebody who had a hand painting it in Van Nuys California in 1975/76 said so, sure

perhaps one of you could talk Pablo into researching it. eh?

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back