Bandai 1/72 PG Millennium Falcon (also the Revell Germany rebox)

Re: Bandai 1/72 Millennium Falcon

Great images in that piece!

My only complaint is I wish they'd made the option for an ESB undercarriage. With their precision moulding they could have done a pair of replacement parts that align with the panel joins, making any swap-out undetectable! (unlike the demo model they had on display a couple years ago, where you could see the join lines underneath)

Ah well.

I agree this would've been a fun option -- and something doable, given Bandai's level of perfection -- but adding the ESB undercarriage would've also meant new front pieces for the headlamps and lighting options for the red landing lights that ring the lower saucer. That's in addition to the extra sets of landing gear and (maybe) bluer engine light options. At that point, anyone making the ANH version would left with a lot of extra plastic and lighting hardware. I suspect their calculation was that instead of raising the kit price to provide an option that may leave lots of extra stuff, they'd sell this version first and then later down the road offer the ESB version as a separate kit. Instead of potentially selling fewer of the ANH version because the cost is really high, they have the chance to sell more of the first kit now and perhaps another batch of kits later.

As we all know only too well, there are so many different versions of the on-screen Falcon that I don't fault Bandai for drawing the line somewhere.

How about we give MPC some love

Port Underside.jpgSB Underside.jpg

They obviously had some great reference material way back then

J

Yeah the level of research into this model is beyond cool its a real passion to make the best possible model ever made. Its a work of Art i would never get tired of looking at or exploring, it will fill me full of happiness for the rest of my life. And we get the fun of building and painting it too! Im really liking this early Falcon, the shape underneath the front is soooo cool :cool

Hopefully we will get the fantastic AT-AT in 1/48 and a 94cm Star Destroyer, 60cm+ Blockade runner & Hammerhead Corvette, Large Tydirium Shuttle, Sandcrawler, Lukes Speeder ect. these Model Kits would be the highlights of my collection :popcorn :love

How about we give MPC some love

View attachment 747999View attachment 748000

They obviously had some great reference material way back then

J

They apparently had great reference material for these pieces, but do we need to compare photos of the sidewalls, or the upper engine deck detail, or the overall proportions of the hull? Yes, they got those pieces surprisingly right, but I can't help but think of that old saying about how even a broken clock is right twice a day... :angel

Everything is represented on the MPC......very simplistically, but its all there......the thing they & FM got wrong was the hull thickness at the centre....turret to turret......that started off a chain reaction that ruined those models

J

Thankfully I have the patience a younger me did not, because I am so buying this. Later. I sure hope they don't make it a short special edition run never to be seen again!

they have the chance to sell more of the first kit now and perhaps another batch of kits later.

Well that's the key isn't it? It's a marketing decision, not a technical one. Bandai are no fools. While we as consumers may armchair-guess their decisions, their job is to sell product. So if they do a limited edition ANH today and an ESB model later, they've upped their revenue stream. :)

To who? :lol

Harsh lol :)

Im going to just hold onto my MPC and maybe finish it in the distant future.I do have some shapeways extras that i might try and sell,Although im sure Perfect grade fever has spread worldwide so even that might be a tough sell.

I have 2 MPC's.....one started correcting the hull curvature, it would be shame to abandon it, I wouldn't bin it,....maybe I'll make it into a variant

J

Hopefully the price of the MPC kits will begin to go down now.... it's a diamond in the rough, with all Tony's shapeways work, my resin kit, the bluemoon kit, and the ingenuity of modeller's it doesn't take an unreasonable amount of work to make it shine.
But it sure isn't worth the £70+ people are asking on ebay....maybe £40 maximum

It was a great kit for its time, and in many ways, excluding simplified detail, it was a actually more accurate to the 5 ft than the Fine Molds kit

Realistically though, I have 3 MPCs (one I originally built back in 1980), one ROTJ boxing, and the Cutaway version. I will probably keep the cutaway version, but I just don't have to room for all those falcons on top of the Fine Molds 1/72 and now the Bandai one

I did start trying to accurize it a bit y putting in the missing frames and lowering the sidewalls as well but I just don't have the time with so many other kits, especially when I can build the Bandai out of the box

I'd happily sell it for for a fairly cheap price

Last edited by a moderator:

One thing I always found really interesting about these boards, and I am not referring to anyone specifically here, is how some people spend endless hours analyzing the most minute details with some of these models, (e.g. Is the representation of the airfix 1/24 Mustang part accurate?), but totally disregard the overall shape of the ship. Or visa versa, "the shape looks good so I'm happy". I remember pointing out the mandible problems of the FM to someone that was dissecting some of the details of the greeblies and they could of cared less of the obvious oversight in the overall design.

Just an overall observation, not pointing the finger at anyone. It seams as though we all have our specific areas that we get hung up on. It seems as though this model has both the accuracy of shape and detail. Can't wait! Honestly, I wish it was bigger, but I'm probably in the minority.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

It seams as though we all have our specific areas that we get hung up on. It seems as though this model has both the accuracy of shape and detail.

Well, that's the thing about Bandai's models, though. They have the shape and proportions down perfectly. So what else is there to get hung up over other than the details?

On a different topic - anyone else researching thin grey 3M Scotchlite stickers? :)

I wish I could afford it. :cry
Get part time job, save $?

Not meant to poke fun at you and maybe your up to your neck in life's busyness already, so not judging. There were times in my life all heck was going loose and the cards to buy things for myself were just not there.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I wish I could afford it. :cry

I hear ya

I was only able to get it thanks to the timely convergence of my 20th work anniversary (gift cards) and the release. Otherwise it is out of my range and no way I could justify spending that much.
The most expensive thing I bought previously was the Fine Molds falcon back when you could get them for around $200

Get part time job, save $?

Ugh. I don't even like having ONE job. The thought of getting another activates my fight or flight reflex.

Any chance the Culttvman pre-order might work for you? $150 now and the rest in December?

That sounds good now, but winter bills kick my butt, man. My power bill triples - sometimes quadruples - and I'm never prepared.

I'll just have to live without this for now, and hope that it pops up again some time in the future for a more reasonable price.
It'll be okay - I've lived without it for 40 years, what's a few more?

The model looks great. I have to say, though, the paint and weathering job on the display Falcon (not the one in the battle diorama) is... well, not good. Not a lot of subtlety there.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back