Bandai 1/72 PG Millennium Falcon (also the Revell Germany rebox)

Re: Bandai 1/72 Millennium Falcon

I might have spotted another possible (very very minor) error of this kit.

It's this strip at the tip of the upper jaw box.

View attachment 801146View attachment 801147

It's not about the chipping, but the color.
In the promo photos depicting the initial state of the filming miniature, the strip looks red, whereas in the photos taken at exhibitions, it looks orange. The decal of this strip included in the kit resembles the latter.
I could think of several possibilities;
a) The original red strip fell off and was replaced by an orange one (which was probably when the chipping was applied).
b) The strip, which was originally red, became discolored to look orange.
c) The strip was always orange, but somehow (lighting conditions, mal colored printing etc.), they turned out looking red in the promo photos (in which case, Bandai's decal is correct).

I thought c) was least likely, so I made a red strip out of the decal sheet's Bandai logo to replace the orange one.

Another decal related detail I noticed is this strip.

Looking through the archival photos, I think this orange strip was an applied decal. The strip seems to have fallen off and doesn't exist in the present model.
There is no decal for this strip in the kit, although Bandai may have intentionally left this out, as with all the hash marks.
I have also made this out of a spare decal.

I have also noticed that the kit's decals for these strips do not seem to resemble their width very well, so I replaced them also.

I am making very slow progress lately, and am still working on the cockpit quadrant.

Where exactly do you live? Romania? Tazmania? Or Insomnia?

And FYI, all of those were changes by Han Solo--mid-flight, mind you--so it's markings wouldn't match those of a ship that blasted its way out of Mos Eisley.
Mike Todd

Bandai 1/72 Millennium Falcon

I have a question regarding the Falcon color-

Ive noticed that nearly all of the 5 ft falcon pics show the ship having the trademark grayish off-white/ cream color.
However, theres a certain set of falcon photos which show the ship being almost entirely light grey.
These seem to be the pics that have the Falcon with a totally black background.
The MPC pic seemed to be taken from one of these pics.

Anyone have an idea as to why these specific set of pics show the Falcon being almost entirely light grey without and warmth?

Im guessing its either the lighting or the black background.
If its the lighting, what kind of lighting do you suppose was used?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Thanks for the warm comments.

Where exactly do you live? Romania? Tazmania? Or Insomnia?

I wish to live in a place where I don't get interrupted by continual phone calls and other miscellaneous stuff when I am applying streaks and wet decals.

However, theres a certain set of falcon photos which show the ship being almost entirely light grey.
These seem to be the pics that have the Falcon with a totally black background.
The MPC pic seemed to be taken from one of these pics.

I have seen same pictures in different hues, which shows that not just lighting conditions but all sorts of stuff affect colors of photos.

1979mpc-t.jpg

The one photo which I personally feel is the most evenly lit photo of the Falcon, is the Bill George image that Jaitea shared in this thread.

https://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=262348&page=91&p=4357401#post4357401

Last edited:

Thanks for the warm comments.

I wish to live in a place where I don't get interrupted by continual phone calls and other miscellaneous stuff when I am applying streaks and wet decals.

I have seen same pictures in different hues, which shows that not just lighting conditions but all sorts of stuff affect colors of photos.

View attachment 801271...

Ever see this one from the old board game? Nasty yellow patches all over it.
game.JPG

So my glassless canopy is slightly warped resulting in a noticeable gap on the port side. I’ve already disassembled and reassembled multiple times and the fit is the same so it’s definitely warped. It’s on the side facing the sidewall but I’ll know it’s there. I was hoping I wouldn’t have to glue it down just in case I wanted to swap out the canopy or modify the cockpit down the road. Was hoping you master modelers can give me some advice!

It's been quiet here in this thread... I was watching it for months. Is everyone done with their Falcons? Bueller...... Bueller.....

Man I’m still stuck at half a base coat. Work and life have just kept me away from the model.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I ran out of Reefer White with only 1/4 of the way to go (rear deck and quarter panel)! Talk about sad and frustrating. And I think Guy is on vacation or out of town or something. :-(

I knew I should've bought two bottles. Oh well. Rescued Academy CH-53E from Shelf of Doom while waiting for him to reply to my messages.

I'm decaling right now, a slow and tedious process with all the tiny stencils!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Just finished my Reefer White basecoat...used a bottle & a 1/4 to do it.
Working on figuring out the lighting next. Ordered a cockpit console and back wall from 308 bits and some of the figures from Falcon3Dparts.
55c71ebbf795d6fbfd773d11622a7994.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

A friend is printing a 3d mount point for me. I'm wondering what might be the best glue for attaching this?

brrftxpl.jpg

You could screw it into place. Hide the screw heads under the round disc of the lower turret.

Looks like it perker back up huh! I wouldn't worry abut this thread dying out anytime soon. I'm working on a few things for my Echo Base diorama while I wait for Tony 3080 Bits (Shapeways) to square away the add on landing gear bays (ESB) and then I'm starting mine :thumbsup
It's been quiet here in this thread... I was watching it for months. Is everyone done with their Falcons? Bueller...... Bueller.....

Actually, you know what'd be a super-sturdy way to put the attachment point on the underside of the hull? Small bolts. The bolt heads would be covered by the turret, and then the nuts would be on the inside of the hull.

Then all upwards force would pull up against the bolt heads.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back