Bandai 1/72 PG Millennium Falcon (also the Revell Germany rebox)

Re: Bandai 1/72 Millennium Falcon

At the moment I'm sort of thinking of taking a "do everything in as screen-accurate and stupidly anal a way as remotely possible" for the PG Falcon, since it is so accurate. And then goof around and do whatever fun stuff on the DeAgo Falcon, if I ever get around to finishing that one, since it's not that brilliant. Just big! :)

Same here. I have a big Hasbro I'll get to eventually.

We are now so spoiled by the Bandai kit.

Personally, not only did it change my perception towards the Finemold kit, it also had an impact on the way I look at the 32 inch model.

204D8207-034B-4CEF-8A5E-B5AC4BF4CC8B.jpeg2DD6236C-118C-4D8E-8FD3-8C8858551064.jpegFB174339-CAC6-4192-B9BF-E82698DF8A5C.jpeg0E5640E0-264C-4858-A6C0-6E30D057AA2B.jpeg

This guy did these mods a few years ago when it was generally accepted that the FineMolds model was the best available,....at that time folks were fixing the most obvious flaw with the kit,....the mandibles & jaws

What this builder undertook is truly inspirational & his kit turned out fantastic....

J

Yeah - don’t get me wrong. His work is excellent and enviable.

it is weird that, decades after those original summer popcorn movies came out, we have more detailed and more accurate information on how they were made than ever before...

- nkg

Man. I dunno. I mean full respect for such dedication and such an incredible amount of precision craftspersonship. But all the work and the saucer angles are still wrong. Wouldn't it be better to build something from scratch at that point?

This reminds me of the 1/43-ish MPC X-wing I built while in college (mid 90s). I was really getting into altering kits, re-scribing kits, Superdetailing (on the cheap) kits. I used the blue prints books, primarily, as reference. I sliced and diced that fuselage. I threw out the rear-engine parts and replaced them with engines from a 72nd scale Fujimi F-14 (the internal engines, not the nozzles). I scratchbuilt the entire cockpit, gear, and gear wells. I used various copper and aluminum tubing from a LHS to create the lasers. One of my favorite builds of all time. Accurate? Not in the least as far as details. But it looks so much better than what I started with and it looks cool as hell. And that was like 5 percent of what this guy did with the FM kit.
Mike Todd

A new xacto tip did the trick. Definitely not one of the fun mods, though...

20180109_220334.jpg
20180109_223416[26822].jpg

I don't think I'll know how worth it this was until I paint the model. Doesn't seem to add too much right now.

Is anyone offering replacement decals for the Falcon? Not the panels but the little decals all over the ship.

Definitely worth it! That see-through lightness of the real Kettenkrad greebly is a key part of the sidewall. I remember noticing it as a kid.

I spent far too long making a 3D print of the damn thing. And then I was watching the Last Jedi on Friday, and noticed that Luke's mechanical hand actually has half a Kettenkrad greebly built in! How's that for an obscure reference?

If you didn't do it, you'd notice it every time you looked at the model. The only thing I did differently is that I didn't drill out the smaller mesh holes. I figured that once I put a little wash in there it would look the same as actual holes.

- - - Updated - - -

Little tiny Chewie is done!

View attachment 786412

That's a great Chewie! Very nice!

kettenkrad.jpg

From the trailer. It's like someone made a half a Kettenkrad greebly by hand from sheet metal.

Bandai 1/72 Millennium Falcon

QUESTION for the color gurus!

Is it safe to assume that the Bandai PG Falcon is molded in the same base color as the original 5 footer Falcon model?

Im using Vallejo paints and Im getting information that Vallejo air White Grey is a match to the Floquil reefer white used in the original 5 footer....however Vallejo Air white gray is close, but not an exact match, to the molded plastic on the Bandai PG falcon.

I would say the values match but the hue is a bit warmer on the Vallejo air White grey than the molded plastic.

So, is Vallejo white grey closer to Floquil Reefer White or is the Bandai molded plastic closer?

In my opinion, the molded plastic of the PG falcon doesnt look warm enough. But thats just my guess.

Can anyone confirm or offer info?

Heres a pic-
Molded plastic left
Vallejo white grey right

d9edc82f2c200ec5829e4e54d17c8535.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

so, just wanted to plug Matt at Hobbyworld USA. Just got the kit from him for $319 shipped by UPS to my door.!
Pretty hard to beat. Still has a couple left.
K

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back