Bandai 1/72 PG Millennium Falcon (also the Revell Germany rebox)

Re: Bandai 1/72 Millennium Falcon

I haven't sized it up, so I'm not sure. I was speculating that it would given the dimensional similarities. however, I can pull the stuff out and see. I have quite the inventory of falcon parts...it's sickening really since I made molds of most of the 308 stuff and still have all the originals. I have a Blue Moon kit, an original HH kit and gobs of 308 parts for MPC...gobs. I have like 2 or 3 MPC kits left and figured I'd use the original 308 pieces on the next build, then the HH, and I may just use the Moon stuff on a hang from the ceiling build, just to use it up. After that I don't see doing anymore MPC's. As for the molds I guess I'll listen out for anyone wanting a set of stuff and offer to do up a set for cheap for anyone on a budget. :confused One things for sure though...I know the MPC's now inside and out, top to bottom :lol

That would be awesome if you could check for me! Plus, if you ever plan on doing any molds of your MPC parts, I'd take some! lol...

Sure man, no problem. I haven't really looked at the PG stuff too closely just yet so I'd be curious too if it turns out I'm not happy with the Bandai part. As far as the MPC stuff, let me know what your interested in and I see if I got molds for it and I'll whip some up for you. Though I wasn't able to mold some of the 308 stuff as it just wouldn't work. like the front sides, but then I like the HH side walls better because they are a tad shorter, but those molds are all good. Rather than list everything, perhaps we can have a phone call this weekend and go over it if you want :thumbsup
That would be awesome if you could check for me! Plus, if you ever plan on doing any molds of your MPC parts, I'd take some! lol...

Sure man, no problem. I haven't really looked at the PG stuff too closely just yet so I'd be curious too if it turns out I'm not happy with the Bandai part. As far as the MPC stuff, let me know what your interested in and I see if I got molds for it and I'll whip some up for you. Though I wasn't able to mold some of the 308 stuff as it just wouldn't work. like the front sides, but then I like the HH side walls better because they are a tad shorter, but those molds are all good. Rather than list everything, perhaps we can have a phone call this weekend and go over it if you want :thumbsup

Sounds good to me, man! Sometime Saturday would work for me. Just shoot me a text.

That sucks. I was hoping to see aftermarket options for both. Bandai's decals are awful, I can see the dots in photos. And the etch is lacking in detail, that's the kind of thing that could be improved on. Green Strawberry's multi layer approach with the engine grills really added a lot of relief, which would look good on the cockpit grill as well.

I was hoping for a Green Strawberry release also. I agree with Bandai decals. They need to change there decal printing method.
But I'm still hoping for aftermarket products. I believed there will be more STANDARD released then the DELUXE version.
And this should be enough to trigger the demand and the interest to invest to produce the product.

I think so as well. The aftermarket HAS to know not everyone is gonna spring for the deluxe kit...and there in lies their market :popcorn
I was hoping for a Green Strawberry release also. I agree with Bandai decals. They need to change there decal printing method.
But I'm still hoping for aftermarket products. I believed there will be more STANDARD released then the DELUXE version.
And this should be enough to trigger the demand and the interest to invest to produce the product.

- - - Updated - - -

Great news! This thread is going to go on for a LONG time and that's an awesome thing. How are you Joe? Things finally back to normal? Great to see you chiming in again brother!(y)cheers
Well, I finally gave in and ordered one of these with the LED units and the rest of the goodies.....damn. LOL!

I still don't get the marketing of the standard version at all. The only place I can find it now is e-bay. (I am in the U.S., and I'm guessing that makes a difference.) On e-bay right now, there are at least 2 options (sellers) for the PG ship at about $330 with free shipping. (I got one of mine from that online hobby shop that had them for under $300 with shipping included.) I only see one option for the standard version at $270 plus $80 for shipping. That's $350 for the standard versus $330 for PG. (Again, that my be a location issue.)

But besides all that, consider this. It might cost Bandai, at the most, $10 to print those decals. The PE stuff might be $20--their cost. Taking those out reduces their cost by $30-ish. If it was straight across the board in pricing, who would pay $30 less for the standard kit? Who would do that with the idea of later paying retail for AM decals and PE, which would cost more than that $30? And if Bandai takes more than $30 off the price, using the logic I've just put forth, they would be losing money, especially considering the serious discount that would start to make the deal make sense. I have two brothers-in-law who have MBAs (one from Harvard), and when I discussed this with them before, they agreed with my assessment--on the surface (both specialize in marketing, but neither knows anything about the industry). Anyway, I know there is more behind the scenes, but the whole thing is a head-scratcher. And from this perspective, I'm not one bit surprised AM companies aren't too crazy about decal and PE sets. Now, if the PG is discontinued--even more so if it was a limited release that was discontinued long ago--we'd probably see AM replacements. (And AM decals might some of those details Bandai left out).
Mike Todd

I'm pretty sure in the "standard" kit, you don't get the lighting either. That might explain the difference :confused
I still don't get the marketing of the standard version at all. The only place I can find it now is e-bay. (I am in the U.S., and I'm guessing that makes a difference.) On e-bay right now, there are at least 2 options (sellers) for the PG ship at about $330 with free shipping. (I got one of mine from that online hobby shop that had them for under $300 with shipping included.) I only see one option for the standard version at $270 plus $80 for shipping. That's $350 for the standard versus $330 for PG. (Again, that my be a location issue.)

But besides all that, consider this. It might cost Bandai, at the most, $10 to print those decals. The PE stuff might be $20--their cost. Taking those out reduces their cost by $30-ish. If it was straight across the board in pricing, who would pay $30 less for the standard kit? Who would do that with the idea of later paying retail for AM decals and PE, which would cost more than that $30? And if Bandai takes more than $30 off the price, using the logic I've just put forth, they would be losing money, especially considering the serious discount that would start to make the deal make sense. I have two brothers-in-law who have MBAs (one from Harvard), and when I discussed this with them before, they agreed with my assessment--on the surface (both specialize in marketing, but neither knows anything about the industry). Anyway, I know there is more behind the scenes, but the whole thing is a head-scratcher. And from this perspective, I'm not one bit surprised AM companies aren't too crazy about decal and PE sets. Now, if the PG is discontinued--even more so if it was a limited release that was discontinued long ago--we'd probably see AM replacements. (And AM decals might some of those details Bandai left out).
Mike Todd

I wrote on that before. From a marketing perspective, the standard version is not illogical in any way. On the contrary, it is a pure tactical marketing device than a 'product' so to say.

https://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=262348&page=165&p=4486034&viewfull=1#post4486034

As I product to sell and make a profit on, I don't see the point. Your description of a marketing perspective for the brand as a whole could be achieved in other ways, with other kits or with displays. I'm not sure anyone hanging out here really knows the sales figures for Japan versus the rest of the world. Bandai has a home market and even the license has some market restrictions, but those restrictions are almost non-existent to people in the U.S. Bandai SW kits are in stores and sold online at very fair and reasonable prices--even before Bluefin was a part of this. Seems to me the only really non-existent kit is this white elephant MF kit. So who cares? If this standard MF kit is going to remain, for us outside of Japan, as a kit that's too hard or expensive--and even worthless--to get, than so what. If it has some marketing effect for the brand in the home market, okay. I'll just have to accept it (and ignore it). But then I saw the question above about someone who actually bought the kit and wants decals and PE stuff. I don't question a branding/marketing issue, but I do question it as an issue of a product that has been purchased. I would be curious what the street price of this standard kit is compared to the street price of the PG kit--in the same markets. The street prices I quoted above is what I see in my market. About $330 shipped for a PG kit (which almost makes me want to order a 3rd kit) and about $350 for a standard kit.
Mike Todd

Ross, you are correct. The standard version does not include the lighting kit, either. Which, in my opinion, is quite alright. I don't understand the waterslide decals not being included, though. But I picked my standard version kit up for $280 with shipping. Without shipping, it was $260. So I was ok with that price. Honestly, I had thought I was bidding on the non-standard version, but only noticed it wasn't after I won...lol... Oh well!

Yeah, I thought I had heard that, probably from you actually. but yeah, no water slides? that's just stupid. Even a cheap 10 buck POS WW2 airplane model comes with freakin' decals! :angry Who want to build a 250 buck plus kit with STICKERS!?!?
Ross, you are correct. The standard version does not include the lighting kit, either. Which, in my opinion, is quite alright. I don't understand the waterslide decals not being included, though. But I picked my standard version kit up for $280 with shipping. Without shipping, it was $260. So I was ok with that price. Honestly, I had thought I was bidding on the non-standard version, but only noticed it wasn't after I won...lol... Oh well!

That decal issue in the standard kit is going to be the dead horse that never stops getting beat to poop. I'm not attacking anyone here, either, because it's quite understandable why people are peeved. A big WTF thing, that's for sure.
Mike Todd

couldn't agree with you more, it's total BS to delete a 10 buck decal sheet in a 250-330 kit. don't know what they were thinking. i can see the lighting and the PE, but the decals?! most certainly a HUGE WTF? I mean, I got the deluxe kit so everything is there, but I'm just as PO'ed in support of you guys that didn't go that route. :thumbsup
That decal issue in the standard kit is going to be the dead horse that never stops getting beat to poop. I'm not attacking anyone here, either, because it's quite understandable why people are peeved. A big WTF thing, that's for sure.
Mike Todd

It is a shame about the photo-etched engine grilles. I’ve made 3D printed grilles for the PG Falcon, and they look okay. But because of the physical limits of the 3D printing process, they can never look good as the etched metal ones.

Well brother, most of us here know what you do, for us and the hobby and we appreciate your efforts cause we know you don't just do it for yourself or particularly the $$ You're a good dude :thumbsup
It is a shame about the photo-etched engine grilles. I’ve made 3D printed grilles for the PG Falcon, and they look okay. But because of the physical limits of the 3D printing process, they can never look good as the etched metal ones.

The decal issue is the only thing really holding back the standard version. I could care less about the PE kit and the lighting kit, but, like Ross said, when you're paying that much money, you need to differentiate the pricing with something other than what should be a standard accessory to any model kit. I'm going to see if I can recreate the water slide decals somehow and do a test print. I don't care about the colored panel ones, I want all the tiny little markings that you see. The different panel colors should be done with paint anyway.

agreed, You guys that bought that kit must have had a major jaw dropping WTF?! when you found no decal sheet in the box...totally ridiculous and unacceptable.
The decal issue is the only thing really holding back the standard version. I could care less about the PE kit and the lighting kit, but, like Ross said, when you're paying that much money, you need to differentiate the pricing with something other than what should be a standard accessory to any model kit. I'm going to see if I can recreate the water slide decals somehow and do a test print. I don't care about the colored panel ones, I want all the tiny little markings that you see. The different panel colors should be done with paint anyway.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back