Bandai 1/72 PG Millennium Falcon (also the Revell Germany rebox)

Re: Bandai (& Reboxed as Revell) 1/72 PG Millennium Falcon

It's news to me so thanks dude(y)cheers
I'm sure everyone has seen this already (the only bigger SW nerds than me are the ones on RPF! :D), but if not, making-of ESB documentary by Michael Parbot was uploaded to YouTube at the beginning of the month. Includes behind-the-scenes Hoth stuff, including models (Falcon, Slave 1, SD, etc), at the end.

Quality isn't great but....it's Empire!

If this is really old, lame news, please feel free to ruin my life.

LINK

hm, does anyone know why Revell re-boxed falcon is available for pre-order on every european amazon, except amazon.de? Or maybe I'm searching it wrong?

Just cause it's awesome !!

Falcon Ties.jpg

Falcon Ties.jpg

That's been part of the fun for me on this kit: finding out how the miniature was made, where it's parts came from, and how has changed over the years. I usually don't invest the kind of time and energy into the archeological research that I'm doing on this kit, but I'm going for something very specific with this kit. I'm trying to recreate the miniature as it looked -- exact as I possibly can make it -- when it was photographed for ANH in 1976 and early 1977. Why? Because it's fun for me. The Bandai PG is as close as I'll ever get to owning the miniature I saw on the screen in 1977. So sorting through the reference photos to determine which ones represent the miniature during that time is part of the process.

Yeah normally I wouldn’t be that fussed about getting every detail right. But I only got interested again in model making a couple years ago. And so for me, like a lot of middle aged people I expect, the whole model thing is a way of revisiting aspects of childhood and youth. And I just remember how disappointed I was when I realised how completely **** the MPC Falcon kit was. That realisation that I’d been swindled in a way - the toylike crap in the box was just a cheap approximation of the photo of the movie miniature on the box. So a big part of the game for me is finally, decades later, settling that frustration by getting a nice and accurate model that actually looks right! Rather than a chunky block covered by random details.

But like Hunk of Junk, I don’t personally care what direction other people go with their models. It’s one of the reasons I often make different variations of my 3D printed parts - it gives people a choice! Some people will want to fix barely noticeable minutiae with their models even if most people don’t. And that’s totally cool. All that matters is what makes me, and each individual model maker, happy! Surely that’s what every escapist hobby is about. :)

Also pah - RPF auto-censorship of my choice of language!

And I just remember how disappointed I was when I realised how completely **** the MPC Falcon kit was. That realisation that I’d been swindled in a way - the toylike crap in the box was just a cheap approximation of the photo of the movie miniature on the box. .

Bingo. Same here. I remember my sequence of emotional events: Seeing the box sitting under the Christmas tree -- realized immediately what it was and spent the next two weeks plotting ways to take a peek under the wrapper without my parents finding out. I remember the excitement of unwrapping the box and staring in lust at the "Photo of actual STAR WARS TM special effects model." Then opening the box, lifting the lid... and... the crushing disappointment. Sure, it was big -- especially for a 12-year-old -- but even at that age I knew it didn't look right. I mean, dang, the real photo was RIGHT ON THE BOX! Seriously, if I still had that original MPC box, I would've taken all the sprues from the PG and put them inside just so I could reopen the box and exorcise the demons of that 40-years-ago disappointment once and for all!

But the story finally has a happy ending. What I wanted was this:
MPC box.jpg

And now I finally have this:
IMG_1726.jpg

I win.

MPC box.jpg

IMG_1726.jpg

Dang. A couple of middle aged saddos. :) Ha.

I'm just a bit embarrassed that the realisation didn't sink in until I decided to paint the model. Then I noticed how awful it was.

Though I do remember being really annoyed by that stupid light switch handle sticking out the side...

"An authentic replica of the actual Star Wars spaceship" "Extensively detailed"

How misleading of MPC...lol...

Bingo. Same here. I remember my sequence of emotional events: Seeing the box sitting under the Christmas tree -- realized immediately what it was and spent the next two weeks plotting ways to take a peek under the wrapper without my parents finding out. I remember the excitement of unwrapping the box and staring in lust at the "Photo of actual STAR WARS TM special effects model." Then opening the box, lifting the lid... and... the crushing disappointment. Sure, it was big -- especially for a 12-year-old -- but even at that age I knew it didn't look right. I mean, dang, the real photo was RIGHT ON THE BOX! Seriously, if I still had that original MPC box, I would've taken all the sprues from the PG and put them inside just so I could reopen the box and exorcise the demons of that 40-years-ago disappointment once and for all!

But the story finally has a happy ending. What I wanted was this:
View attachment 849339

And now I finally have this:
View attachment 849340

I win.

I loved my three or four attempts with the Airfix/MPC/Ertl Falcon.....my pride & joy, marking various stages of my life......great fun, learning & enjoying model building

J

I loved my three or four attempts with the Airfix/MPC/Ertl Falcon.....my pride & joy, marking various stages of my life......great fun, learning & enjoying model building

J

I wish I could say the same. Every attempt -- 3 or 4 -- was pure pain and frustration. Same with the FM. You're a better man than I, J.

I picked up my first MPC at a hobby shop about 20 years ago, was on consignment. I had no idea. It sat in the closet forever, finally built it in 2016...THEN, I realized it was a grossly inaccurate POS. Then I did #2, modified the sidewalls myself, looked kinda crappy but better than the first attempt. #3 was an inflight, same wall mods, better engine grille. It's in my office at work. All had lots of LED and FO. #4 was a cut-away, same wall mods again, but FO out the yang cause I did the whole interior up...looked kinda ok I guess. The came #5...every 308 bits part there is on that one. I think it's better than a FM (got one in the closet still) But yeah, MPC's what a monumental disappointment and outright crime what they did with that. Still got a few MPC's in the closet and made molds of nearly all the upgrade pieces. But you know, it was a journey of enlightenment and skill enhancement. Now, as we all have one...the PG is waiting a couple more weeks but I can't wait to dive in and go absolutely nuts with it!:lol

Yeah, I totally respect folks who have tried polishing the turd. I tried for years, gluing bits of sprue and sliced styrene sheet. I even plunged in and tried to cut down the sidewalls. Never got it past looking a total mess. I was a kid at the time, admittedly!

Yeah, I did the hours of surgery on them, adding greeblies and for what they were, they weren't so bad...but still not right. Then I discovered SHAPEWAYS!!
Yeah, I totally respect folks who have tried polishing the turd. I tried for years, gluing bits of sprue and sliced styrene sheet. I even plunged in and tried to cut down the sidewalls. Never got it past looking a total mess. I was a kid at the time, admittedly!

Nope, I'm going full bat-schmidt crazy. One of the archive photos shows a hair that got painted over in 1977 and is still visible today. View attachment 848334 Just to be a stinker (and as a joke) I pulled one of my dog's hairs out of the carpet (I'm balding and my own hair is too precious!) and painted it on using Testors canopy glue. What can I say. I got a wild hair and just did it! :lol:facepalm

Did you ID which kit that hair is from? It might give some clues as to other donors on different models that have hairs on!

hey there Haystack! how's doing brother? You know...if you ever decide to put out you very own Falcon kit, I'm down for one. love your work dude!:thumbsup
Did you ID which kit that hair is from? It might give some clues as to other donors on different models that have hairs on!

I suspect the hair came from the 1976 J. Johnston kit since he seems to be the one in all the pictures of the Falcon being painted. :p

That Solo movie gets better with each view! I may have to see it again tonight....:D

Very much agree. I've watched my 3D blu-ray a couple times now and it's really well constructed. Even the darkness at the beginning of the movie has grown on me because it intentionally lightens up and gets less monochromatic as the movie goes along. By the time they get to the final Sabacc game, it's bright and the colors pop (and Lando is in a tropic-themed leisure suit!). It corresponds to Han's character finding his "family" in Chewie. It's too bad we'll never see a follow up to show how Han got more cynical and surly by ANH.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back