Bandai 1/72 PG Millennium Falcon (also the Revell Germany rebox)

Re: Bandai 1/72 Millennium Falcon

Simon mentions that he is not well at the end of the video. Seriously. Give him a break, he's certainly the only guy posting build videos at the moment and I for one love his work. Keep it up, Simon.

"Give him a breaK" is why YouTube has so many incompetent people foisting their stuff on the public. He is not the worst out there, and certainly not one of the incompetents, but I reserve the right to critique anyone who puts their stuff out in public. I would hope that people are watching the good producers on YouTube and learning.

Just for information, the part which he says " .. not shure where that goes yet ... it doesn't actually say" is addressed quite clearly on the page of the instruction manual that he is looking at.

IMG_9020r.jpg

He seems to be having a little trouble applying the decals to the cockpit panels, and for that, I would like to defend him.
Instructing to apply decals to those engraved panels, without filing it to some extent, is one of the few apparent faults of this kit.
I think no mark setting liquid would suffice to give satisfactory results to anyone other than the most casual of modellers.

So the work around would be to paint instead of using the decals, or to file the panels before applying the decals, if not going the afterparts route.

"Foisting"? How is he "foisting"? He's doing a build vid, not trying to sell anything. Watch it or don't. I admire your right to critique, but I also adhere to the ideology of "If you don't have anything nice to say..."

I think ScaleModelJedi is a honest guy, he even states he is still learning in his videos. You dont have to be a media personality to be on youtube,its kinda the point of that platform.

I would rather someone be themself than the fake soundbite over the top,Advert pushing drivel you often see from large youtubers.

Give the guy a chance as he is no different to alot of people on here. Everyone is learning,everyone is at a different stage in the hobby,No one is above learning new things. Is it not inspiring to see people at different levels always getting better?

Its extra work filming and editing video on top of doing the model hobby, and to me a good oportunity to see this new kit being built. He is the first UK person i have seen with the PG falcon!

The fact people can just go to youtube and learn from others for free, is why this hobby has never been better to get into.Bandai build there kits for realitve beginners and too some,what SMJ is doing is far above thier level of knowhow, Its the same with QuickKits. People who learn in front of others is how confidence is built. I would know nothing if it were not for others asking questions i also need to know.

Lastly, he cant be too bad if 1.6K people are now subcribed can he?

Last edited:
Bandai 1/72 Millennium Falcon

I agree, give the guy a break.
This thread isn't about becoming an expert at Youtubing.

Anyhow, I felt bad for the guy with his decal mishap. Still, pretty cool that hes doing a build vid.
Kudos to him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is anyone else a little bothered by the gaps that he pointed out during his part 1 vid?

Is anyone else a little bothered by the gaps that he pointed out during his part 1 vid?

Yea a little. Especially around the cockpit canopy. Even on some of the videos from comicon it's not sitting on there tight. I'm probably going to glue most of my stuff anyway.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Yea a little. Especially around the cockpit canopy. Even on some of the videos from comicon it's not sitting on there tight. I'm probably going to glue most of my stuff anyway.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I really dont want to use putty on this kit so I will probably go the glue route as well.

Nope. That's what TESTORS in a tube is for.

Also, re: his mishap with the decals:
1) Wash parts in dish soap. Let dry.
2) Coat parts with Future. Let dry.
3) Apply decals. DO NOT LET DRY!
4) Apply Micro-Sol LIBERALLY!
5) Babysit that thing with a Q-tip, a paint brush, and a blunt toothpick until it's dry.
6) Interlock fingers behind head, lean back in chair, admire.

Last edited:

There is a trickiness to building this kit, perhaps in a way more to experienced builders who are used to using cement, than to casual modellers who would just snap-fit.
I shall write what I learned, just in case.

- There are parts which leave disturbing gaps in their early stage of assembly, but become close tight at a later stage when pressure is applied by snapping on other parts.
- Because of this, gluing and puttying as you go along could become problematic if the parts are not perfectly attached (with pressure) according to the kits design, potentially causing gaps to appear in other places.
- In such places, it would be better to "inject" extra-thin type cement or putty, after snap-fitting all the parts which could have any potential effect.
- Take care not to get paint or primer on the pins and sockets, and make sure the pins and sockets look clean before snap-fitting.

For the record, I believed that John Simmons also messed up the cockpit decals on his.

Decals on a raised surface are always hit or miss

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

If you snap-fit this kit together without gluing, you're a baby, and should have just bought the new LEGO set.
There. I said it.
Come at me, bro.

I watched and subscribed to his channel last night.
Personally I found him to be an honest and likeable guy. Those cockpit decals were always going to be tricky.
The guy has got talent, just look as his zombie diorama if you have any doubts.
I think he'll do a great job on his Falcon and I'll be interested in watching his progress.

Ah..I misunderstood

I gotta say, I wish he would hold off. He's gonna set the bar so high on this before anyone gets out of the gates. His work is so good
Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I know....he's the best.....his FM Falcon was the ultimate....(I say was, because he sold it,....not that there has been a better job)

The way I look at it,....it's better to have a great build to aspire & aim towards,....and also to get those up close new reference pics

J

If you snap-fit this kit together without gluing, you're a baby, and should have just bought the new LEGO set.
There. I said it.
Come at me, bro.

Extending your joke, in the realm of traditional Japanese craftsmanship, to build things by just snap-fitting wood is considered more elegant and civilized than employing nails and adhesives.
If I were to build this kit a second time, I think I shall challenge completing it without using a drop of glue.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back