Bandai 1/72 PG Millennium Falcon (also the Revell Germany rebox)

Re: Bandai 1/72 Millennium Falcon

There were definitely engine lights on the falcon
You can see it lit up here
millennium%u00252Bfalcon%u00252Bstar%u00252Bwars%u00252Bat%u00252B40%u00252B1977%u00252Bmark%u00.jpg

"Almost all of the modelshop team worked on the Falcon at one point with Peterson himself taking care of the rear quarter, the semicircle that housed the Falcon’s engine banks. “These were made of oxidised brass louvered screens,” he wrote. “The back slot of the Falcon was capped with a piece of high-heat milk glass, which would diffuse the glow of the multiple six-inch bar halogens."

millennium%u00252Bfalcon%u00252Bstar%u00252Bwars%u00252Bat%u00252B40%u00252B1977%u00252Bmark%u00.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

There were definitely engine lights on the falcon
You can see it lit up here
View attachment 763571

"Almost all of the modelshop team worked on the Falcon at one point with Peterson himself taking care of the rear quarter, the semicircle that housed the Falcon’s engine banks. “These were made of oxidised brass louvered screens,” he wrote. “The back slot of the Falcon was capped with a piece of high-heat milk glass, which would diffuse the glow of the multiple six-inch bar halogens."

There it is. Thanks blakeh1. I just found that photo too. I was worried this would start devolving into a "Luke yells 'Carrie'" debate. :sick Anyway, halogens would explain the need for cooling fans! I wonder how many of the six-inch bar lights were in there. At least four, I would imagine.

Last edited by a moderator:

There it is. Thanks blakeh1. I just found that photo too. I was worried this would start devolving into a "Luke yells 'Carrie'" debate. :sick Anyway, halogens would explain the need for cooling fans! I wonder how many of the six-inch bar lights were in there. At least four, I would imagine.
Lol! Wait, Luke says "Carrie"?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I stand corrected on the engine lights. Thank you internet.
And Luke clearly yells, "Barry!" at the end of ANH. :lol

I'm pretty sure you could assume Bandai was referring to lights as much as you could assume they were talking about rotoscoping. By that logic I could also say they said nothing about rotoscoping.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I said I seem to remember that the engine lights were rotoed in, not that Bandai said it. Like almost always, you jump in to disagree before you really understand what was said. Trying to always be the expert can be hard on you, I'm sure, but at least read the person's post before giving your "expert" disagreement. It is tiring.

I see in that photo that there were lights in the Falcon model, but they might not have read bright enough, so they might have had to punch them up in post. I know I heard something about having to rotoscope the engine lights somewhere along the way.

Last edited:

I said I seem to remember that the engine lights were rotoed in, not that Bandai said it. Like almost always, you jump in to disagree before you really understand what was said. Trying to always be the expert can be hard on you, I'm sure, but at least read the person's post before giving your "expert" disagreement. It is tiring.

tenor.gif
This isn't the first time you've thrown a temper tantrum with personal attacks for all to read on these boards is it? I admire your internet courage. It's legendary.

Here are some 5-footer ANH screencaps to cleanse the palate.
star-wars4-movie-screencaps.com-6452.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

star-wars4-movie-screencaps.com-6483.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

And another.
star-wars4-movie-screencaps.com-7337-1.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Here's another.
star-wars4-movie-screencaps.com-7631.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Woop, there it is.
star-wars4-movie-screencaps.com-7652.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Woop, there it iiiissss...
star-wars4-movie-screencaps.com-10929.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

I like big butts and I cannot lie...
star-wars4-movie-screencaps.com-11004.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Looks like real engine lights.
star-wars4-movie-screencaps.com-11111.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Hold together...
star-wars4-movie-screencaps.com-11150.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Look at the stripped red paint on the piping at the base of the dish. Never noticed that before...
star-wars4-movie-screencaps.com-11185.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Worth noting how the different lighting makes the colors pop.
star-wars4-movie-screencaps.com-11563.jpg

I believe that is the close-up section used in this sequence only, not the 5 footer.

It's definitely the 5-footer. There were only two Falcon models created for ANH, the ILM model and the live-action full size set. That's the beauty of the 5-footer. They could get this close in and it still looked huge! You can see that red striped pipe at the base of the dish here.
8424801094_1910139818_b.jpg

Wow. They really missed the alignment on this one.

Whenever I see a shot like this I have to remember that in 1977 no one was thinking, "We better make this shot perfect because someday audiences are going to be able to go through each shot frame by frame in high definition detail." :lol Everyone assumed audiences would see a movie in a theater or broadcast on TV. Even early VCRs in the 1980s had very limited pause ability. I know because my friends and I wasted hours trying to pause on the good parts of certain videos when our parents weren't home! I mean Star Wars videos, of course. ;)

It's definitely the 5-footer. There were only two Falcon models created for ANH, the ILM model and the live-action full size set. That's the beauty of the 5-footer. They could get this close in and it still looked huge! You can see that red striped pipe at the base of the dish here.
View attachment 763762

Oh, cool then. I thought I remembered seeing some model of a big radar, but it must have been for some other shot, or I'm just out to lunch altogether.

Oh, cool then. I thought I remembered seeing some model of a big radar, but it must have been for some other shot, or I'm just out to lunch altogether.

The big Radar-Dish was built for Episode 5, when Lando pics Luke up from top of the Falcon under Cloud City...

Greetings,
Peter

Maybe this is what you saw. I could be mistaken, but I don't think ILM ever made a larger separate model of just the dish. They had to motion control the dish being hit and separating from the Falcon in ROTJ, but I can find no evidence that was another dish.
Lando-rescue_3.jpg
Peter H beat me to it!

Last edited:

It seems clear that a large model dish, larger and independent of the five foot set, was made for Star Wars (1977), but it was only used in a very brief moment during the Death Star escape sequence. Which is odd they went to all that trouble, as it's a pretty motion-blurred pan of a clip. Perhaps they were thinking of using the model elsewhere but never did.

You can see that there are a few subtle differences between the five foot dish and the large dish. The battle scars are different, the pipe details are slightly different, the curved edge has additional detail on the large dish, and so on.

Five foot dish, from movie freeze frame:

five-foot-dish.jpg

Large dish, from movie freeze frame:

bigdish-clip.jpg

Large dish model, from Chronicles book:

bigdish.jpg

So to summarize... I think this should be a fairly accurate list of all the physical representations of the Millennium Falcon, bar various matte paintings, used in the original trilogy films as they existed before the computer-modified Special Editions:

Star Wars (1977)
- "Five foot" or "four foot" model (depending on if you refer to the length or the saucer diameter).
- Large model of the radar dish for extremely brief scene.
- Full-sized set, scaled to maybe 40%, of the starboard half of the ship exterior.
- Cockpit interior set.
- Hold set including some corridors and interior view of the ramp and door.
- Single gunbay interior set, used to represent both gunbays.

The Empire Strikes Back (1980)
- Five foot model as above; modified with extra landing gear and lights.
- 32" model (or 2' model) for action sequences and the first shot on the back of the Star Destroyer
- 10" model for the medical frigate closing sequence.
- 2" model for the long shot on the back of the Star Destroyer.
- A large model of the starboard rear quarters, for the scene where a doll of Lando emerges from a hatch.
- Full-sized set, scaled to maybe 40%, of the whole ship exterior. Includes corridor view up the ramp.
- Cockpit interior set, lengthened and with added greeblies
- Hold set, modified slightly from SW.
- Possibly a full-sized model of the radar dish for the deleted Luke rescue scene, though it seems likely that this was the dish from the full sized set.

Return of the Jedi (1980)
- Five foot model as ESB.
- 32" model as ESB.
- Full-sized set, scaled to maybe 40%, of half the ship exterior for deleted Tatooine scene.
- Cockpit interior set, as ESB
- Corridor interior sets used in deleted scenes of rebels running around.
- Single gunbay interior set used in deleted scenes.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back