Bandai 1/72 PG Millennium Falcon (also the Revell Germany rebox)

Re: Bandai 1/72 Millennium Falcon

I don't know if this helps

attachment.jpg

J

Attachments

• Bill George Falcon original.jpg
    Bill George Falcon original.jpg
    485.3 KB · Views: 991

Are those colors you pulled directly from the photo or are they Archive X swatches?

Just picked from the photo,....I'm doing a Studio Scale B-Wing at the moment & I was having a hard time determining what shade of blue was on the ship in various places,....then I decided to use the paint picker in PhotoShop,.....helped me a lot,....just isolating that particular area from the surrounding colours

J

Just picked from the photo,....I'm doing a Studio Scale B-Wing at the moment & I was having a hard time determining what shade of blue was on the ship in various places,....then I decided to use the paint picker in PhotoShop,.....helped me a lot,....just isolating that particular area from the surrounding colours

J
Very nice! It sure does simplify.

What do you all think about forgoing primer and base coat and going straight to weathering and painting on the bare plastic? The color of the plastic looks pretty good to me.

My opinion is that paint always looks better.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I didn't prime mine first. I went right to weathering. The Bandai plastic looked good to me. But I don't agonize. I've done enough models to be able to just get on with it. Plus, I don't let other people's opinions deter me. I did, however, look at a lot of reference photos and others people's builds to get a feel for the look I was after. Plus, I had plenty of time to make up my mind about a lot of things while put the bloody thing together!

Last edited:

What do you all think about forgoing primer and base coat and going straight to weathering and painting on the bare plastic? The color of the plastic looks pretty good to me.

Plastic has an inherent translucency your eye can detect. It might be subtle, but it's there. If you prime it (primer is a must) and then paint it, the details will pop sharper because the translucency is now covered and your surface is fully opaque.

Plastic has an inherent translucency your eye can detect. It might be subtle, but it's there. If you prime it (primer is a must) and then paint it, the details will pop sharper because the translucency is now covered and your surface is fully opaque.

This^

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

for those who are in Sydney/Australia, Hobbyco at QVB has a few PG Falcon in stock, the asking price - a whopping $625 (AUD)! There are definitely cheaper options on ebay etc, but if you are like me who has no intention of buying it, but still want to hold it in your hands to drool over it, go nuts :)

Has anyone tried using oil paints for weathering on this falcon yet?.. I'm doing the falcon discoloration technique I've seen on YouTube..i used it on my FM falcon & my Hasbro hero series conversion falcon after primer& paint.i like how it looks.. but I don't know about using this technique on the bandai falcons because of the bandai plastic problems with oil paints..the Abteilung 502 oil paints that I have are expensive & I want to use them.. but afraid to. Help!!!

Bandai 1/72 Millennium Falcon

Quick question-

Is it just me or are the radar and the guns on the 5 ft falcon a different shade of grey that the base on the rest?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Has anyone tried using oil paints for weathering on this falcon yet?.. I'm doing the falcon discoloration technique I've seen on YouTube..i used it on my FM falcon & my Hasbro hero series conversion falcon after primer& paint.i like how it looks.. but I don't know about using this technique on the bandai falcons because of the bandai plastic problems with oil paints..the Abteilung 502 oil paints that I have are expensive & I want to use them.. but afraid to. Help!!!
I used oils as one of my mediums on my falcon with no ill effects. I should say that I used automotive primer under AS-20. I don't know if that makes a difference or not.
14b0bc00345dfea21906d92ecbc5fda2.jpg

Kokkari, what method did you use for paint chipping, the paint and scratch method or some masking fluid?
Yes [emoji16]. I used both latex making and scratched other areas with the dremel. Although I would have to say it's hard to get little chip effects at this scale with the latex mask. I sometimes go back over with the Dremel to try to add finer chipping to the latexed areas if that makes any sense.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back