Bandai 1/72 PG Millennium Falcon (also the Revell Germany rebox)

Re: Bandai 1/72 Millennium Falcon

A few shots with the engines lit...
IMG_8841.jpgIMG_8844.jpgIMG_8843.jpg

Got a link?

If you search auction sites for "carbide micro drill bit" you'll get a bazillion hits. The ones in Asia tend to be dirt cheap. I think many of those are used drill bits - they're too worn for use on printed circuit boards, which is their intended purpose. But that's totally fine for us, as they're still plenty sharp to drill through soft styrene plastic!

nkg

Screen Shot 2018-01-02 at 20.11.13.png

I know some of you likely think I'm crazy for modifying the gunport to remove the Bandai gunport, but I will be able to display the model with the lower gun in place.

You're right. You're totally crazy. Bonkers.

And I'm very impressed! :)

- nkg

Grill? We don't need no stinkin' grill!

Looking sweet.

Thanks! I've gotta say, I've never minded the grill -- in fact, I think it makes sense given that something needs to go in there -- but seeing that pure band of white light just feels really really right.

Guys, I don't know if it's helpful, but I've run across a comment from this forum over a decade ago that states the Millennium Falcon base coat was not Reefer White, but in fact Krylon Platinum Gray automotive primer. He also states the closest match to that was Model Master Camoflauge Grey.

https://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=915&p=20644&viewfull=1#post20644

I once painted one of my falcons in model master camouflage grey and liked the result. It resembles the Grime color of the 32 inch.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Guys, I don't know if it's helpful, but I've run across a comment from this forum over a decade ago that states the Millennium Falcon base coat was not Reefer White, but in fact Krylon Platinum Gray automotive primer. He also states the closest match to that was Model Master Camoflauge Grey.

Im going to be using Vallejo Air acrylic to paint my Falcon and the consensus among those who i have asked who also have access to the Floquill paint is that the Vallejo equivalent would be “insignia white”.

Its basically almost a cream color.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Polyscale reefer white I'm using is identical to the plastic. Unless Bandai's research is really off (and they had access to the 5-footer), I have to think it's fairly accurate. If its really the Krylon Gray, that's a good thing to know.

The Polyscale reefer white I'm using is identical to the plastic. Unless Bandai's research is really off (and they had access to the 5-footer), I have to think it's fairly accurate. If its really the Krylon Gray, that's a good thing to know.

Reefer White and Krylon Platinum Gray are very close to each other. It seems Krylon Platinum Gray is only for ships used in ANH. For ESB and ROTJ, Reefer White was indeed used on some X-wings. Apparently it was also used on the 32inch Falcon mixed 50/50 with Grime. Either way, they're all in the same ballpark for sure. 1976 Reefer White on the left, 1976 Krylon Platinum Gray on the right.

CuMnLg1.jpg

Im going to be using Vallejo Air acrylic to paint my Falcon and the consensus among those who i have asked who also have access to the Floquill paint is that the Vallejo equivalent would be “insignia white”.

Its basically almost a cream color.

Insignia White is a close starting point. Vallejo "White Grey" 71.119 is "exact" pretty much, but, I think it looks too dark on a model of the sizes we work with. It's always good to lighten colors a bit the smaller scale you go, so Insignia White is a damn good starting point.

Reefer White and Krylon Platinum Gray are very close to each other. It seems Krylon Platinum Gray is only for ships used in ANH. For ESB and ROTJ, Reefer White was indeed used on some X-wings. Apparently it was also used on the 32inch Falcon mixed 50/50 with Grime. Either way, they're all in the same ballpark for sure. 1976 Reefer White on the left, 1976 Krylon Platinum Gray on the right.

https://i.imgur.com/CuMnLg1.jpg

Insignia White is a very very close starting point. Vallejo White Grey is "exact" pretty much, but, I think it looks too dark on a model of the sizes we work with. It's always good to lighten colors a bit the smaller scale you go, so Insignia White is a damn good starting point.

Vallejo Model white grey is what I used on my Bandai 1/144 falcon.

I noticed that Vallejo Air “white grey” more greyish and less warm than Vallejo Model “white grey”

Odd, since they are both Vallejo except one is “model” and the other is “air”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Murph and kokkari both have valid points.

The etch that Bandai created is a single layer, and so doesn't fully reproduce the look of the Koolshade material. Koolshade had raised perpendicular wires, angled louvers and woven wires. The plastic parts reproduce the two raised parts and the woven wires, but don't really get the angled part.

But the plastic looks neat and perfect, and the five foot model had dents and dings in the mesh. Also, the plastic comes in pieces you have to join, and there are very tiny gaps.

So which is better kind of depends on your priorities.
Here are the Green strawberry vents from my 1/144. In my opinion, this is the best way to go. Four layers and you could mangle them if you wanted to
b17605e48317bbed65f121ddc538fb9a.jpg

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

If you search auction sites for "carbide micro drill bit" you'll get a bazillion hits. The ones in Asia tend to be dirt cheap. I think many of those are used drill bits - they're too worn for use on printed circuit boards, which is their intended purpose. But that's totally fine for us, as they're still plenty sharp to drill through soft styrene plastic!

nkg

View attachment 784295
Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Nice to see a pic of this great model again after photobucket cut off all the ones in the original thread!
Yeah, I don't know why I don't just upload to this place instead of a third party site.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

If you want to use a third party site, use Imgur. Photobucket is terrible.

By the way, does anyone know where the 5ft Millennium Falcon is right now? Is it back at the Lucasfilm archive, or on tour somewhere? I saw it in person back in 2010 on tour, but not sure its locale today.

Last edited:

There's a "Star Wars Identities" exhibit that just opened in edit: correction it's in Utrecht, Netherlands until March 11. The website has few details but they did show the 32" Falcon. Considering how often they've toured together it's a good possibility the 5' might be on display there as well.

Last edited by a moderator:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back