Bandai 1/72 PG Millennium Falcon (also the Revell Germany rebox)

Re: Bandai 1/72 Millennium Falcon

The photo etch gives it a more realistic appearance in my humble opinion...

Last edited:

I haven't looked at that part in a while but I think the reason I liked the plastic better was that there were some 3 dimensional elements of the coolshade pattern (that piece is coolshade, right?) that the photo etch doesn't reproduce. Does that make sense? I'm not home right now or I would go look at it and try to post something less vague.

Murph and kokkari both have valid points.

The etch that Bandai created is a single layer, and so doesn't fully reproduce the look of the Koolshade material. Koolshade had raised perpendicular wires, angled louvers and woven wires. The plastic parts reproduce the two raised parts and the woven wires, but don't really get the angled part.

But the plastic looks neat and perfect, and the five foot model had dents and dings in the mesh. Also, the plastic comes in pieces you have to join, and there are very tiny gaps.

So which is better kind of depends on your priorities.

...Any advantages of using the photo etch over the molded ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The molded parts are a better representation of the Coolshade, but the etch provides the look of the gap underneath. I don't have the kit yet myself, but I've been thinking of a way to modify the etch to better look like Coolshade. Maybe a small drop of CA or Tulip paint on the points where the grids intersect to give them some relief.

Looks like superglue doesnt work on the etched metal. Not going to drive kyself crazy looking for the right glue.
Guess ill just go with thr molded cool shade.

Bandai 1/72 Millennium Falcon

Aaaand the glue managed to stick underpart of the etching to the cockpit. Now have to figure iut how to get it off without breaking the cockpit.

Last edited:

does anyone have pics of the engine vents with the photo etched parts in place?? i’ve seen some pics of this where the interior fan looks hexagonal... or octagonal... is there a part missing if you go with the etched parts that should be on the fans??

rhboyd - My screen name is Kamandi at SSF. You were looking at my 1:144 Bandai. The engines fans are hex shaped on that kit.

Last edited by a moderator:

I have had no problems with the cyanoacrylate glue I used to attach the photo etch grilles under the Engine Deck ... so far.

Yeah, dont know why but the cool shade etch wouldn’t stay down with the Krazy glue.

Its ok, after looking at it I think I prefer the molded plastic coolshade.

does anyone have pics of the engine vents with the photo etched parts in place?? i’ve seen some pics of this where the interior fan looks hexagonal... or octagonal... is there a part missing if you go with the etched parts that should be on the fans??
The supplied black Block which has all the Engine Fans molded into it have angular tops to each fan, so they look roughly hexagonal. I painted the tops and the edges of the angled blades silver, so they would show up under the Grilles. It looks good to me. No parts missing.

The supplied black Block which has all the Engine Fans molded into it have angular tops to each fan, so they look roughly hexagonal. I painted the tops and the edges of the angled blades silver, so they would show up under the Grilles. It looks good to me. No parts missing.

thanks pal... turns out i was looking at the 144 version, which actually has the hex shapes! add to that the slots on top of the fans, and i thought that it might be missing some parts! kinda feel like it could use some sort of shape on top of the fans... do you think it could stand a slight mod?? would it be sacrilege?!?

So I'm guessing the LED holders behind the cockpit let in enough light? Those pinholes look small in that part to me. :)

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah, dont know why but the cool shade etch wouldn’t stay down with the Krazy glue.

Its ok, after looking at it I think I prefer the molded plastic coolshade.

Good to have some accelerator around when doing the superglue stuff.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back