Bandai 1/72 PG Millennium Falcon (also the Revell Germany rebox)

Re: Bandai 1/72 Millennium Falcon

My only concern (and it may just be a trick of the camera) is that these look possibly too wide?
I mean...they should sit pretty close to the jaw box, but the outer gear box wall should be in line with the outer wall of the rear boxes...right? Wrong? Am I looking at this too hard, and should go to bed?
I'm super pumped to have these gear boxes.
I don't think they line up on the 5-footer. I get the feeling the 32-incher had a wider rear box and on that one everything lines up pretty neatly. But with the 5-footer, I think it had a skinnier back box that they didn't mess with, and the front boxes are a little wider. See Jaitea's post one page back with a diagram. Granted, it's a diagram and not pics of the real model with the boxes in place, and the two boxes are kind of offset to one side, but I still think it shows this. Having said all that, the pics of the 308 parts still seem a little wide, even accounting for the fact that they are placed a little further out than I think they should be.
Mike Todd

Gentlemen, and ladies if there are any...I present to you Tony's 308 Bits ESB landing gear bays for thr Bandai 1/72 Perfect Grade Millennium Falcon. I have yet to do the mods to the wells and shave the molded greeblies, let alone even start the build, but I thought you'd all like to see what or benevolent genius Tony has done for us (ESB fans anyway) The shadows in the images look as thought there are gaps, but i asure you, these dude fit Fing perfect!View attachment 837630View attachment 837631View attachment 837632View attachment 837633

Is it possible for you to attach the lower jaw....or even set it loosely where it is to go & adjust the printed gears in closer to the centre?

552895_432536710113001_2066408384_n.jpg mmmm.jpg

Check the panels where the printed parts line up

FalconBottom4comp.jpg_MG_4170.jpg6305185960_70cbd37369_o.jpg

sw_mos_mf_0119.jpgsw_mos_mf_0118.jpg

Thanks gt

J

No, not at all...they aren't too wide, the hull piece has to be cut to allow the gear "well" to move in towards the center, but I haven't done that yet. I just set them on there to see that the contour was right. Not sure I want to jump right to that step for the sake of pictures, but I suppose since now I've teased you guys with it I kinda should so you'll get the full effect. I'll see what I can do. However, Tony took the exact proportions from the Bandai 1/144 TFA and scaled it up...there are correct, they just don't look​ like it till the hull modifications are complete.
So that looks awesome! I'm certain I'll be ordering a set before I start my second PG Falcon...
My only concern (and it may just be a trick of the camera) is that these look possibly too wide?
I mean...they should sit pretty close to the jaw box, but the outer gear box wall should be in line with the outer wall of the rear boxes...right? Wrong? Am I looking at this too hard, and should go to bed?
I'm super pumped to have these gear boxes.

I'll see what I can do... however to move them towards the center requires I go ahead and cut the hull for the well area. I hadn't planned to do that right away, but if it helps I'll certainly try to get to it as soon as I can. :thumbsup
Is it possible for you to attach the lower jaw....or even set it loosely where it is to go & adjust the printed gears in closer to the centre?

View attachment 837664 View attachment 837668

Check the panels where the printed parts line up

View attachment 837665View attachment 837666View attachment 837667

View attachment 837670View attachment 837669

Thanks gt

J

I'll see what I can do... however to move them towards the center requires I go ahead and cut the hull for the well area. I hadn't planned to do that right away, but if it helps I'll certainly try to get to it as soon as I can. :thumbsup

No, no....don't cut anything.......just place them as you did but closer in to the jaw,.....just to see what that will look like,.....I see the gear box openings for the legs are dropped into the openings in the hull.....but even if you draw a pencil line to where they line up on the hull

Thanks gt

J

Hey Mike, thanks for chiming in :thumbsup I completely see your point, and fully expected there would be some folks with reservation about it and completely see your post as observatory. for myself, I'm not concerned with a little inaccuracy or, variation here and there. I'll be using Jaitea's diagram as a guide to get them positioned. But, as far as add-ons, or until Bandai does something with options (I'm skeptical about that) for now anyway, this is it and I'm satisfied with what Tony has done. I believe once the hull mods are complete they will fit beautifully and if you're an ESB guy like me, this is as good a pieces as you're gonna get. I'm not trying to convince anyone they should do this mod, I'm just spreading the word to those that are interested, and so Tony can sell these...after all, I'm the one who asked him to do it. :lol :cheers
I don't think they line up on the 5-footer. I get the feeling the 32-incher had a wider rear box and on that one everything lines up pretty neatly. But with the 5-footer, I think it had a skinnier back box that they didn't mess with, and the front boxes are a little wider. See Jaitea's post one page back with a diagram. Granted, it's a diagram and not pics of the real model with the boxes in place, and the two boxes are kind of offset to one side, but I still think it shows this. Having said all that, the pics of the 308 parts still seem a little wide, even accounting for the fact that they are placed a little further out than I think they should be.
Mike Todd

Ohhhh, ok... I'll get everything out again this afternoon and see if I can't get that...you're quite correct. a straight "down" helicopter shot. I'll also see if I can get the lower jaw in place to give the shot proportion :thumbsup
No, no....don't cut anything.......just place them as you did but closer in to the jaw,.....just to see what that will look like,.....I see the gear box openings for the legs are dropped into the openings in the hull.....but even if you draw a pencil line to where they line up on the hull

Thanks gt

J

Ohhhh, ok... I'll get everything out again this afternoon and see if I can't get that...you're quite correct. a straight "down" helicopter shot. I'll also see if I can get the lower jaw in place to give the shot proportion :thumbsup

Brilliant,....I think Tony has them perfect.....this will be a cracker build

J

Those boxes look pretty great dimensionally! It will take a bit of work to cut out, patch over, and detail the maintenance pits. But for that ESB vibe they look very nice.

Last edited:

Super cool! Thank you! I hope I didn't come off as whiny or anything...I think it was just the placement for your original pics that was throwing me off.
I am still excited to stick these on my next PG...and like yourself, I'm totally ok with some variation.
Thank you again for getting with Tony, and helping get these into existance for us ESB lovers.

Very cool landing gear option. Great discussion too.

Start a dedicated thread? Place the illustrated diagram in the first post.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

probably a god idea, since I have my Hoth Echo Base diorama thread going, and this is part of it, I'll continue this part of the project on that thread :thumbsup
Very cool landing gear option. Great discussion too.

Start a dedicated thread? Place the illustrated diagram in the first post.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

with jaw1.jpegwith jaw2.jpegwith jaw3.jpegwith jaw3.jpegwith jaw4.jpegok, so here it is, gear boxes where they will go and the lower jaw in place. going off Jaitea's diagram, I placed them in this position. measurement of the rear boxes edge to edge, I get 6 1/4 inch, the rear of the front boxes, 6 3/8. So, while not exactly in line, it's 1/16 wider on either side...to me … big whoop. I think they're good, magnificent actually. I'm looking forward to starting this phase of the project, but that's a couple weeks off yet. I want to continue with the rest of what I'm working on currently while it's still fresh in my mind.

if you're an ESB guy like me, this is as good a pieces as you're gonna get.

I am an ESB guy. And don't count Bandai out for coming out with an ESB version themselves. They made that front lower hull section separate. Just sayin'.

(But then people were expecting a two-seat Tamiya F-16 as soon as they came out with their modern kit, what, 10-15 years ago, and...)
Mike Todd

Well I reckon I'd have to agree, but you never know...plus the waiting and hoping for that is more than I could stand :confused:lol
I am an ESB guy. And don't count Bandai out for coming out with an ESB version themselves. They made that front lower hull section separate. Just sayin'.

(But then people were expecting a two-seat Tamiya F-16 as soon as they came out with their modern kit, what, 10-15 years ago, and...)
Mike Todd

View attachment 837729View attachment 837730View attachment 837731View attachment 837731View attachment 837732ok, so here it is, gear boxes where they will go and the lower jaw in place. going off Jaitea's diagram, I placed them in this position. measurement of the rear boxes edge to edge, I get 6 1/4 inch, the rear of the front boxes, 6 3/8. So, while not exactly in line, it's 1/16 wider on either side...to me … big whoop. I think they're good, magnificent actually. I'm looking forward to starting this phase of the project, but that's a couple weeks off yet. I want to continue with the rest of what I'm working on currently while it's still fresh in my mind.

Brilliant,....thanks for doing that gt,.....It looks great

J

View attachment 837729View attachment 837730View attachment 837731View attachment 837731View attachment 837732ok, so here it is, gear boxes where they will go and the lower jaw in place. going off Jaitea's diagram, I placed them in this position. measurement of the rear boxes edge to edge, I get 6 1/4 inch, the rear of the front boxes, 6 3/8. So, while not exactly in line, it's 1/16 wider on either side...to me … big whoop. I think they're good, magnificent actually. I'm looking forward to starting this phase of the project, but that's a couple weeks off yet. I want to continue with the rest of what I'm working on currently while it's still fresh in my mind.

Outstanding! Thank you for showing us this!

Mor than happy to my brothers, besides that since Tony did this at my request I should at least spread the word so he can sell more of them (y)cheers

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back