Bandai 1/72 PG Millennium Falcon (also the Revell Germany rebox)

Re: Bandai 1/72 Millennium Falcon

Hey folks. I think I found another missing greeblie on the lower hull. If this has already been identified, let me know. It's missing from the lower hull, cockpit side near the maintenance bay. It looks like the missing piece is raised and slightly oval shape -- not just a rectangular piece of styrene.

Take a look:
Missing greeblie lower hull 4.jpgMissing greeblie lower hull 3.jpgMissing greeblie lower hull 2.pngMissing greeblie lower hull.jpg

And here's where it's missing on the PG:
HOJ missing greeblie.jpg

Does anyone know what it is or have any clearer pictures of the area?

Man. Every time I find a new image that shows a slightly different angle, and notice some problems that need fixing and adjusting....

Screen Shot 2018-10-03 at 17.36.01.png

I know that when I finally get this done, Bandai will release an updated ESB-era PG Falcon, complete with correct maintenance pits, and show the proportions of my designs are like 20% off...

Last edited:

I can't see much more on my refs, even when the images have been tinkered with.

View attachment 846600View attachment 846601View attachment 846602

Yeah, I've been manipulating the images too, but so far it's still a blob. It's definitely a kit piece. In all likelihood it's a piece duplicated somewhere else on the model, so maybe if I find something with a similar silhouette I'll get lucky. I could just stick something there that is close enough, but I'd rather know definitively what it really is.

Re: Bandai (& Reboxed as Revell) 1/72 PG Millennium Falcon

Has anyone from continental europe ordered anything from them? I wonder how high shipping cost is, because it's hidden for preorders.

Still not giving up identifying this missing greeblie that was one the model before the ESB gear box modifications. I made a couple pictures that show it's shape a bit more clearly, but I haven't found a close match to any other piece anywhere else on the model. Does it look like anything familiar from the known donor kits?
Missing lower starboard piece 2.pngMissing lower starboard piece.png

I've also found this mystery piece. It's a round engine vent on the lower engine box, port side, right next to Joe Johnston's name. In the black and white archive shots made shortly after ANH, the vent is clearly there, but in a different ANH era underside shot it is not. So the question is, what the piece on the model during shooting or was it added immediately afterward? There is also a missing decal (Route 1) right next to where Johnston's name is labeled.
Missing engine vent 3.pngMissing engine vent.jpegMissing engine vent 2.jpeg

I've also found this mystery piece. It's a round engine vent on the lower engine box, port side, right next to Joe Johnston's name. In the black and white archive shots made shortly after ANH, the vent is clearly there, but in a different ANH era underside shot it is not. So the question is, what the piece on the model during shooting or was it added immediately afterward?

That's an interesting observation. There's also a rectangular greebly with an X, like a hatch lid or something, on exactly the opposite side.

Both pieces are present in recent photos, and they both appear to be unpainted plastic. So they were added after the original paint job. When the extra landing gear boxes were added for ESB they weren't painted over.

And you're right. The pieces appear to be absent in some of those early shots, but definitely appear in the VEH black and white photos. Which were, I think, taken in 1978 after the original film was shot.

So I can see why Bandai elected to omit them, since that does suggest that maybe they were stuck on after filming was completed, for some unknown reason.

I've made 3D models of them, but the disc is too small to maintain all the details and be printable. Only etched brass could hold that level of detail. So I won't be offering those.

x.jpgdisc.jpg

That's an interesting observation. There's also a rectangular greebly with an X, like a hatch lid or something, on exactly the opposite side.

Both pieces are present in recent photos, and they both appear to be unpainted plastic. So they were added after the original paint job. When the extra landing gear boxes were added for ESB they weren't painted over.

And you're right. The pieces appear to be absent in some of those early shots, but definitely appear in the VEH black and white photos. Which were, I think, taken in 1978 after the original film was shot.

So I can see why Bandai elected to omit them, since that does suggest that maybe they were stuck on after filming was completed, for some unknown reason.

I've made 3D models of them, but the disc is too small to maintain all the details and be printable. Only etched brass could hold that level of detail. So I won't be offering those.

View attachment 847987View attachment 847988

Whoa. The mystery deepens. I'll see if I can see either of them in screenshots or other references. I think the missing starboard underside greeblie is visible in the film. It's the only raised detail I can see in that area of the model.
star-wars4-movie-screencaps.com-10929 copy 2.jpg

I'm curious if anyone knows the donor kit origin of this piece:
Underside greeblie mystery.jpg
There are a couple of them sprinkled around the underside and maybe -- if the Gods love me -- they're from the same donor kit as the missing greeblie. It would be great to check the sprues. Also, if anyone has links to known donor kit sprues, let me know and I'll search them.

Maybe these pieces just fell of during or after shooting the 5ft-Falcon or were found in the studio, only accidentally adressed as "Ah, this must be lost pieces of the falcon", and some unknown assistent was told to glue them again to the hunk of junk. Of course he had no idea, from which part of the ship they were fallen of. So he just glued them anywhere he thought they would look "right".... ;-)

I agree...I mean I admire the guys who fuss over every little thing they notice and appreciate the time they spend researching and trying to obtain all these pieces...but who is to say what or which of how many hundreds of images is actually correct? As far as I'm concerned I just build the kits, have fun doing it and try to get the paint and weathering as close as I can to MY favorite image of whatever it is. It's not like I'm going to win a prize for anything. So I just enjoy it and leave out the agony.
Maybe these pieces just fell of during or after shooting the 5ft-Falcon or were found in the studio, only accidentally adressed as "Ah, this must be lost pieces of the falcon", and some unknown assistent was told to glue them again to the hunk of junk. Of course he had no idea, from which part of the ship they were fallen of. So he just glued them anywhere he thought they would look "right".... ;-)

I agree...I mean I admire the guys who fuss over every little thing they notice and appreciate the time they spend researching and trying to obtain all these pieces...but who is to say what or which of how many hundreds of images is actually correct? As far as I'm concerned I just build the kits, have fun doing it and try to get the paint and weathering as close as I can to MY favorite image of whatever it is. It's not like I'm going to win a prize for anything. So I just enjoy it and leave out the agony.

We are all artists... There are purists (those looking to make exact, down to the tiniest details, copies of the movie models). There are people looking to make the most realistic looking models possible. There are scratch builders, kit builders, garage kit makers... It's truly amazing the variations you get in the model making community. And I just dabble in the Star Wars side...

Watching guys like Adam Savage is very inspirational. To be able to see the thought process from a model maker who worked on an actual Star Wars movie set is an amazing thing and a true testament to the wonderment of technology. I love this stuff and I am highly addicted!

I agree...I mean I admire the guys who fuss over every little thing they notice and appreciate the time they spend researching and trying to obtain all these pieces...but who is to say what or which of how many hundreds of images is actually correct?

That's been part of the fun for me on this kit: finding out how the miniature was made, where it's parts came from, and how has changed over the years. I usually don't invest the kind of time and energy into the archeological research that I'm doing on this kit, but I'm going for something very specific with this kit. I'm trying to recreate the miniature as it looked -- exact as I possibly can make it -- when it was photographed for ANH in 1976 and early 1977. Why? Because it's fun for me. The Bandai PG is as close as I'll ever get to owning the miniature I saw on the screen in 1977. So sorting through the reference photos to determine which ones represent the miniature during that time is part of the process.

As far as I'm concerned I just build the kits, have fun doing it and try to get the paint and weathering as close as I can to MY favorite image of whatever it is. It's not like I'm going to win a prize for anything. So I just enjoy it and leave out the agony.

In no way do I insist (or even recommend) anyone build this model the way I'm doing it. But for me, this IS fun. I could've build the gunports using Bandai's interior pieces, but for me it was more interesting to research the faux gunport interior on the 5-footer and try to recreate that instead. Why? Because. It's my attempt to make this build into something really special to me. For me, the agony would be in saying to myself, "Eh, it's good enough" but never quite getting it the way I want it.

With this text I didn't want to judge anyone about superdetailing this model! It was just the idea that we don't know for sure, if every picture is a "real" reference, because we have no timeline of the several pictures taken and what happend between...

With this text I didn't want to judge anyone about superdetailing this model! It was just the idea that we don't know for sure, if every picture is a "real" reference, because we have no timeline of the several pictures taken and what happend between...

Totally hear you. Actually, determining the reference photo timeline has been part of this adventure for me. I've been cross checking with screenshots and behind the scenes photos to determine when pieces may have fallen off, when others were added, etc. It may seem trivial, but determining the origin of some of these photos could be important. When they were recently restoring the TOS Enterprise at the Smithsonian, for example, they had to turn to fans for photos because the references they had couldn't determine some details from the "Troubles with Tribbles" era.

Guys need help, I’m getting the 1/72 Falcon PG standard version and was wondering where to get all the detailed aftermarket parts for PE, AM parts for mods and lighting kits?
Are Shapeways and Paragrafix the only accurate and cheap kits out there?
Btw I looove superdetails!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guys need help, I’m getting the 1/72 Falcon PG standard version and was wondering where to get all the detailed aftermarket parts for PE, AM parts for mods and lighting kits?

There hasn't been any aftermarket for this kit, except for some Shapeways parts and figures. I'm hoping there will be some improved photo etch and decals, the stuff supplied with the kit are crap.

can't say for certain, but check 3DFalcon parts

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back