Bandai 1/72 PG Millennium Falcon (also the Revell Germany rebox)

Re: Bandai 1/72 Millennium Falcon

I'm not aware of the Scotchlite being used on any of the other miniatures, only the Falcon.

The Tantive IV will also have scotchlite, because the five foot falcon was built and tested with front projection before ILM switched over to bluescreen, which means the first draft of the falcon (Tantive IV) would also probably have it, unless Lucas told ILM to redesign the falcon before they could even prepare the model for front projection shots.

I'm still gonna leave it off mine. . .

Yeah, to put scotchlite on the Bandai falcon would be to make an obscure reference to an abandoned style of visual effects that to my knowledge never shows up on the film (at least with the falcon). For 99.9999% of people, I think leaving the scotchlite off is fine. Besides, the only time you would ever see it is if you photographed your model using the camera's on board flash, which I think is the worst way to photograph a model.

The big success of the front projection in 2001's Dawn of Man scenes possibly seemed the way to go??

Definitely, when I think of visual effects before Star Wars, the only substantial thing that comes to mind is 2001, so ILM was probably following in their footsteps. Had the front projection been successful, I think we would have had a very different (and probably lower quality) Star Wars.

Yeah, to put scotchlite on the Bandai falcon would be to make an obscure reference to an abandoned style of visual effects that to my knowledge never shows up on the film (at least with the falcon). For 99.9999% of people, I think leaving the scotchlite off is fine.

I'm all for obscure references!!! :lol No, seriously, that's even more reason why I want to do it. It's crazy. No one will know why it's there. But it has a story -- and a pretty cool one. It's an artifact that I can point out to friends when they see the model (I say that optimistically -- as if I have "friends" or would show them my models ;):p) So, yes, I'll be adding the Scotchlite, probably in a paint version.

Most likely, yes. There is a series of black and white photos of the five foot model that was taken either around the time of filming of Star Wars or shortly thereafter, which shows the telltale rectangles of the Scotchlite strips. These rectangles correspond to the Scotchlite positions on the model today.

https://sites.google.com/site/millenniumfalconnotes/bandai-s-1-72-millennium-falcon

Oh, yeah, I love that site!

I just noticed on that site today: a PG Falcon build by Masa Narita. Very inspiring!

So, after thinking through how I'm going to mount my Falcon on a base, and thinking about the idea of an ILM-style blue pole, I've come to a decision -- and you are all going to think I'm nuts (more so than you already do :cheers). I want my Falcon to represent the studio miniature as it was shot in 1976-77, including the Scotchlite markers and studio model (JoeCS) cockpit, but I have to decide on a mounting point (I'm not using Bandai's stand). As we all know, the 5-footer had multiple mounting points concealed behind removable panels to allow the model to be shot from a variety of angles.
sw-15.jpg8960566c9673a5c9fae26c04289e4530--star-wars-vehicles-behind-the-scenes.jpgba412981e2cad3f477ee9c3f68abe453--star-wars-com-behind-the-scenes.jpg
So the question becomes, which mounting point? I'm not going to replicate all the mounting points since that would require a lot of modifications to the model's interior (and Bandai's engineering leaves a lot of 'guts' in the way). I want the mounting point to be the least obtrusive and to allow the engines to be lit. To me, the two most iconic Falcon shots in ANH are when it's entering and exiting the Death Star docking bay. Unfortunately, the two shots show the model using two different mounting points. In the arrival shot, the model is mounted from the rear either in or near the removable engine deck. As in this shot:
rear mount.jpg
We know the model used the rear mount because the lower quad cannon is visible:
quad cannon visible.jpg
They likely used the rear mount because 1) the Falcon had to be seen entering into the bay and 2) the engines wouldn't be seen. In the other iconic shot, the Death Star escape, however, the engines ARE lit because the Falcon does it's 180 spin. So for this shot the model was mounted through the bottom gunport. We can see the lower quad cannon missing:
Quad cannon removed.jpgtractor-beam.jpga85a3a59bdd974ba8d0c2ab5974c311a--star-wars-episode-iv-movies.jpg
Since I want the engines lit, this means I'm basically attempting to replicate the model as it appears in this one specific shot! :lol And I'm okay with that. In fact, I'm toying with the idea of building the hangar bay rectangular light ring as part of the display! This means, of course, that I won't include the lower quad cannon, which I know seems like heresy. Forgive me. So, does anyone have a decent shot of exactly how the pole goes into the ship? I have a good shot of the mount area on the upper gunport, but should I assume the lower gunpoint had an identical configuration?
e5fb207deae6f09736e12e39b4587ef4--millennium-falcon-millenium.jpgBlue pole.png

Do we know with certainty that the pole mounted through the middle of the gunport window? A Joe Johnston drawing in the Star Wars Sketchbook suggests the mount was hidden underneath the quad cannon support piece, but was that how it is on the final model?
1865f6rxepnz4jpg.jpg
Any help or photographic evidence would be appreciated! :cheers

The Falcon sitting in or escaping the DS docking bay is probably my favorite shot.

Thinking about building the DS docking bay as part of a diorama. Any good photo refrences?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

The Tantive IV will also have scotchlite, because the five foot falcon was built and tested with front projection before ILM switched over to bluescreen, which means the first draft of the falcon (Tantive IV) would also probably have it, unless Lucas told ILM to redesign the falcon before they could even prepare the model for front projection shots.

Yeah, to put scotchlite on the Bandai falcon would be to make an obscure reference to an abandoned style of visual effects that to my knowledge never shows up on the film (at least with the falcon). For 99.9999% of people, I think leaving the scotchlite off is fine. Besides, the only time you would ever see it is if you photographed your model using the camera's on board flash, which I think is the worst way to photograph a model.

Definitely, when I think of visual effects before Star Wars, the only substantial thing that comes to mind is 2001, so ILM was probably following in their footsteps. Had the front projection been successful, I think we would have had a very different (and probably lower quality) Star Wars.

ILM did consider front projection for the model shots, but this was abandoned very early in favor of bluescreen. There are some test shots in the studio scale section of a TIE fighter with front projected backgrounds. (There were also plans to use front projection for the cockpit shots but early tests of this were also disappointing, and would require ILM to provide completed shots to use as projection plates which they were not up to speed to deliver.) This process would make use of a Scotchlite screen behind the model and would not require reflective pieces on the model, this would be detrimental in that the Scotchlite on the model would reflect portions of the projected background. The Scotchlite was most likely used on the Falcon to represent intentional detail of some kind.

Do we know with certainty that the pole mounted through the middle of the gunport window? A Joe Johnston drawing in the Star Wars Sketchbook suggests the mount was hidden underneath the quad cannon support piece, but was that how it is on the final model?
View attachment 778806

In this photo seems that the gunport hole is not round but enlarged, so maybe the pole mounting point could be where indicated in the Joe Johnston drawing.

underside falcon.jpg

The pole can be seen dead center in these shots, the angular piece the gun support connects to was the cover.

Attachments

• 13680516_929151247197094_1384547061611171474_n.jpg
    13680516_929151247197094_1384547061611171474_n.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 334
  • 13686670_929151253863760_224846055301204610_n.jpg
    13686670_929151253863760_224846055301204610_n.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 357
  • 13680973_929150837197135_2782688957320346476_n.jpg
    13680973_929150837197135_2782688957320346476_n.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 329
  • 13769396_929150793863806_7644661895553325293_n.jpg
    13769396_929150793863806_7644661895553325293_n.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 341

In this photo seems that the gunport hole is not round but enlarged, so maybe the pole mounting point could be where indicated in the Joe Johnston drawing.

View attachment 778814

A-HA! Man, I've looked at that photo and never noticed where the plastic has been carved away under the gun mount. Thanks for pointing that out! If the mount is off-set, it would allow room for a crewmember to get a hand in there to attach power lines or make adjustments (though this photo looks more like a joking around prostate test).

- - - Updated - - -

The pole can be seen dead center in these shots, the angular piece the gun support connects to was the cover.

You are right, sir! The mount is dead center right in that carved away section Peakwoods pointed out. These photos help a ton!

The mounting point is under where the gun base is, and not in the middle of the window. You'll notice in some of the pics that it is in that spot. It looks kind of like a keyhole with two cutout circles intersecting.

So, after thinking through how I'm going to mount my Falcon on a base, and thinking about the idea of an ILM-style blue pole, I've come to a decision -- and you are all going to think I'm nuts (more so than you already do :cheers). I want my Falcon to represent the studio miniature as it was shot in 1976-77, including the Scotchlite markers and studio model (JoeCS) cockpit, but I have to decide on a mounting point (I'm not using Bandai's stand). As we all know, the 5-footer had multiple mounting points concealed behind removable panels to allow the model to be shot from a variety of angles.
View attachment 778790View attachment 778791View attachment 778798
So the question becomes, which mounting point? I'm not going to replicate all the mounting points since that would require a lot of modifications to the model's interior (and Bandai's engineering leaves a lot of 'guts' in the way). I want the mounting point to be the least obtrusive and to allow the engines to be lit. To me, the two most iconic Falcon shots in ANH are when it's entering and exiting the Death Star docking bay. Unfortunately, the two shots show the model using two different mounting points. In the arrival shot, the model is mounted from the rear either in or near the removable engine deck. As in this shot:
View attachment 778792
We know the model used the rear mount because the lower quad cannon is visible:
View attachment 778793
They likely used the rear mount because 1) the Falcon had to be seen entering into the bay and 2) the engines wouldn't be seen. In the other iconic shot, the Death Star escape, however, the engines ARE lit because the Falcon does it's 180 spin. So for this shot the model was mounted through the bottom gunport. We can see the lower quad cannon missing:
View attachment 778794View attachment 778799View attachment 778802
Since I want the engines lit, this means I'm basically attempting to replicate the model as it appears in this one specific shot! :lol And I'm okay with that. In fact, I'm toying with the idea of building the hangar bay rectangular light ring as part of the display! This means, of course, that I won't include the lower quad cannon, which I know seems like heresy. Forgive me. So, does anyone have a decent shot of exactly how the pole goes into the ship? I have a good shot of the mount area on the upper gunport, but should I assume the lower gunpoint had an identical configuration?
View attachment 778801View attachment 778805

View attachment 778806

You are right, sir! The mount is dead center right in that carved away section Peakwoods pointed out. These photos help a ton!

I know you probably don't want any compromises, but a very convenient mounting point can be made through the center of the gun bay windows. It would even allow for the gun bay interior to remain in the model for mounting from the top.

I have added a mount to replace the kit stand.
I did some measurements and 3D-printed this in nylon...

View attachment 766887

... in which a long-nut was inserted, and simply glued to the lower hull like this:

View attachment 766888

I have sacrificed the lower gunport interior, but not the window frame (The turret may be placed if the mounting rod is unscrewed).

View attachment 766892View attachment 766904

I know that I could have used a less bulkier mount if it were just for static display purpose, but I wanted something reliable to go through the building and painting process.
The grip head shall be replaced with a much lighter stand when the model is finished.

Once you start assembling this kit, you realize that you need to think of ways to securely hold the body upside-down while you paint the underside.
I have designed the mount so that the rod can be screwed both ways, until the upper gunbay interior is glued for good.

View attachment 766907

The temporary grip head enables the body to be held in desired angles during the assembly and the painting.

View attachment 766908

Thought I would bump up this post again as it is pertinent to the discussion around custom mounting. I'm going to do this same exact mounting method, except I'm just going to cut my piece out of wood rather than 3d printing.

Thought I would bump up this post again as it is pertinent to the discussion around custom mounting. I'm going to do this same exact mounting method, except I'm just going to cut my piece out of wood rather than 3d printing.
I did the same. Copied Lab's idea but cast a solid piece of resin around a hex coupler. It works great! I can angle on my stand any way I like and can easily put the bottom gun on.
26adc4d92ee54d039b8a1497631e1fc5.jpg
c068356d35e70065ff5f26b2bf7bf84a.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

As Much as I love this kit, and I do! the A New Hope Cockpit would be(next to the actual 5' Miniatures) The best addition to the kit...Here is Rogue Studios 5' Falcon's Cockpit with the New Hope interior...Awesome.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back