Bandai 1/72 PG Millennium Falcon (also the Revell Germany rebox)

Re: Bandai 1/72 Millennium Falcon

Hi there. My name is Erik and I'm new to the board, Just wanted to share photos of my recently finished Ban Dai P.G. Falcon model. I am sooooo glad they made such a spot-on version of my favorite SW vessel. It was a whopper to assemble and paint, but well worth it. I look forward to seeing others' work here! Thanks for having me.

Excellent work. It looks like a real world object rather than a model of a studio model (not that that is a bad thing in and of itself)

think that might be more the look I am going for

Whats everyone using for the little black rectangle decals?

If you mean the tiny squares and rectangles all over the ship, I'm painting them using stencils made from masking tape. I'm also spraying most of them with gray instead of black, but I think either will do. Black actually might be better if you're putting them down before misting with base color.
IMG_9086.jpg

I gave up trying to get scale line for all the "equals" marks on the model. The ones I did are waaay too big, and I thought they were teeny when I did the test try. Oh, well ...

Once you have a good stencil, they're not too hard. It helps to have masking tape with a good sharp edge. I did a better job on the port side panels.
IMG_9070.jpg

View attachment 791757

Hi there. My name is Erik and I'm new to the board, Just wanted to share photos of my recently finished Ban Dai P.G. Falcon model. I am sooooo glad they made such a spot-on version of my favorite SW vessel. It was a whopper to assemble and paint, but well worth it. I look forward to seeing others' work here! Thanks for having me.

WOW!!! :eek

I love this! :love
What a piece of JUNK!

I just use a fine art pen with a strait edge. I think they are important to the overall look of the ILM paint job. Even though they are small and not that noticeable, I think the eye takes them in as part the overall look and design of the paint. Keep em small or it will mess with the scale.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Yeesh, thats a lot of stenciling

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It can be, but since the stencil is tape, you just kind a find a spot, lightly press it in place, give a light shot of paint, and peel up the stencil. Repeat and repeat. When I was doing it, I was just sitting at my bench and was able to put down a dozen or so in a few minutes. The trick is that some of the marks are longer thin rectangles that require either a new stencil or modifying the one you have. When I made mine, I had a top piece of tape that I could re-position to make the stencil opening longer or shorter.

I painted the small stencils with a size 20/0 liner brush using a charcoal gray color. Man, there are a lot of those little things!

Excellent work. It looks like a real world object rather than a model of a studio model (not that that is a bad thing in and of itself)

think that might be more the look I am going for

Thanks Blakeh1. My goal was to weather it to stand up to close-up hi res shots, because I am also a photographer and I love miniature shooting. I looked at more shots of the full-sized Falcons from the various SW films than at the miniatures for reference. I did very little airbrush on mine and relied more on watered down acrylics slopped on in controlled brushstrokes then wiped off gently in select places and smeared in others. The whole process really only took a couple days which actually did surprise me. And of course, I applied an airbrushed layer of dull coat over the whole thing. Have you painted yours yet?

It's beautiful,.....as Kokkari said, she looks like a real ship.....better than the full size prop....& in these photos you can see how sleek & beautiful this model is,....compared to the previous high side wall kits of the past

J

Thanks! Yes. I was so impressed by the accuracy Ban Dai put into her. I always HATED the high side walls on previous models.

Thanks Blakeh1. My goal was to weather it to stand up to close-up hi res shots, because I am also a photographer and I love miniature shooting. I looked at more shots of the full-sized Falcons from the various SW films than at the miniatures for reference. I did very little airbrush on mine and relied more on watered down acrylics slopped on in controlled brushstrokes then wiped off gently in select places and smeared in others. The whole process really only took a couple days which actually did surprise me. And of course, I applied an airbrushed layer of dull coat over the whole thing. Have you painted yours yet?

i think yours is my favourite one yet!! i appreciate all the folks replicating the look of the 5 footer, but yours has a unique beautiful vibe!! i also adore all the pics you took of it, AND the composit!! where can we see more of your photography?!?

Thanks! Yes. I was so impressed by the accuracy Ban Dai put into her. I always HATED the high side walls on previous models.

also curious about what you did for the cockpit... it looks like the glass is UNDER the frame!! can you post a close up?!? pretty please?!?

also curious about what you did for the cockpit... it looks like the glass is UNDER the frame!! can you post a close up?!? pretty please?!?

I'll try and see what I can get as far as close up in a bit. But what I did was buy a piece of transparency acetate and cut a piece patterned to fit under the cockpit frame. Makes a huge difference in the overall look.

I'll try and see what I can get as far as close up in a bit. But what I did was buy a piece of transparency acetate and cut a piece patterned to fit under the cockpit frame. Makes a huge difference in the overall look.

absolutely!!!! i think it’s an incredible addition to this!! i painted the glass one, but i’m not 100% thrilled with it.

Man, one of you guys needs to do a tutorial on how you're weathering this thing. Beautiful!

As for me, I use Tamiya's weathering master for most of the weathering (streaks, blast marks, minor grimes).
I seem to be a minority here in that I am not using airbrush at all, partly because I am limited to working on this thing in short sessions.

One thing that I might recommend to others from my experience, is to finish the underside first, before going beyond base coating the upper hull (if you prioritize the end result of the upper hull, that is).
I presume many members of this forum are well experienced with painting the Falcon, but this Perfect Grade model is quite a different beast.
I learned quite a lot of "what not to do" doing the underside, which became beneficial when I started on the upper hull.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back