Bandai 1/72 PG Millennium Falcon (also the Revell Germany rebox)

Re: Bandai 1/72 Millennium Falcon

Awesome work, DS! I'm doing a lot of right-click-save-ing over here. :)

What color are you using for the rust? I mean, obviously, duh, it's rust, but....looks more orange than brown-ish red (which is accurate to the five-footer). Is this a custom mix?

Thanks!

Awesome work, DS! I'm doing a lot of right-click-save-ing over here. :)

What color are you using for the rust? I mean, obviously, duh, it's rust, but....looks more orange than brown-ish red (which is accurate to the five-footer). Is this a custom mix?

Thanks!

It was a custom mix for the rust.

About equal parts yellow and orange and a drop of red

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can anyone who is using the archive X enamels tell me what they are using for thinner. Guy from Archive X suggested mineral spirits, but being from the U.S. I'm not too sure we have that here. I am enamel illiterate and could use any advise as to the thinner and cleaning my airbrush of enamels. Thanks.

Can anyone who is using the archive X enamels tell me what they are using for thinner. Guy from Archive X suggested mineral spirits, but being from the U.S. I'm not too sure we have that here. I am enamel illiterate and could use any advise as to the thinner and cleaning my airbrush of enamels. Thanks.

I've always been under the impression that enamel thinners are pretty universal with enamel paints. I imagine Model Master thinner or even Testors thinner, which they have in craft stores here in the US, would do the trick. You could always pick up a bottle of the Testors thinner and test it (no pun intended) with a little bit of the paint. Worst case you'll be down $10.

Just one opinion.

Last edited:

Mineral spirits should be found in hardware stores in the US. If not there, then try an art supply store.
I'll check. I just have never heard of it. For some reason the term "spirits" makes met think Brit all the way. [emoji16]

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

query... colour used for grime misting? i can see the effect; i can do the effect... but i happen to be colour blind, so i can’t discern the colour used. so can some one help
please?!?

Home Depot sells mineral spirits in the paint aisle right next to turps and other thinners. It’s usually a quart size rectangular can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Made some progress on the upper hull. Still needs tweaking, but overall happy. It's important to stop periodically to look at the model under a variety of lighting. More than once I finished a section only to look at the model under normal room lighting to find certain streaks or shading were way too dark and had to be misted back.
View attachment 790718View attachment 790717View attachment 790719View attachment 790720View attachment 790721View attachment 790722View attachment 790723View attachment 790724
Moving on to the front starboard quadrant and cockpit tube...

Utterly Gorgeous

What a beauty

J

Shapeways parts arrived
58d940ca50f6b537bd3bc32c3e1d3904.jpg

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Made some progress on the upper hull. Still needs tweaking, but overall happy. It's important to stop periodically to look at the model under a variety of lighting. More than once I finished a section only to look at the model under normal room lighting to find certain streaks or shading were way too dark and had to be misted back.
View attachment 790718View attachment 790717View attachment 790719View attachment 790720View attachment 790721View attachment 790722View attachment 790723View attachment 790724
Moving on to the front starboard quadrant and cockpit tube...

Wow! That is insanely good.

Thanks man! I'm using a couple masks made from clear plastic scavenged from some packaging. One is a straight narrow slot to give straight streaks and the other is tapered to make the tapered streaks. I've been holding them various distances from the surface to soften or sharpen them. It isn't 100% precise. On some I've scraped the streaks down using a blade or lightly sanded them to soften them. I think the key is to have a variety of sizes and softness in layers. On some panels, the streaks are wide and very soft and on others they are narrow, sharp and darker. I gotta say, the grime mist on top really pulls things together.

I'm loving those streaks also! Any way you can post some photos of your technique to further clarify this post?

need some info... please. from this pic, that was posted a million pages back, i’m trying to find the name of the mounting bar that wasn’t used here. pretty sure it’s a camera mount, but does the owner know the manufacturer?? please and thanks!?!

81E1FEB7-9598-423F-B350-3C1E3B3401D9.jpeg

Thanks for the compliments, guys! The streaking technique I use is pretty low-tech. I made three masks out of thin clear sheet plastic and used an Xacto to cut thin strips out. One mask was a narrow straight rectangle and the other two were tapered. I used clear plastic so I could see where to position each streak.
IMG_9105.jpgIMG_9104.jpgIMG_9102.jpg
On the tapered ones, I cut the tapered end all the way to the edge of the plastic so that I could flex the plastic back and forth to narrow or widen the taper as needed. I'd hold the chosen shape using some tape. When it was time to paint, I would use tape to mask off the top of the panel on the model where the streak would start (to avoid the streak starting above the panel line) and then hold the plastic mask in position. I'd hold it a couple millimeters above the surface of the panel while spraying, varying the height to soften (farther) or sharpen (closer) each streak. I usually held the mask at the bottom of the taper so the bottom would be a little farther away from the model surface than the top. This helped the streak fade from top to bottom. On some of the really faint, wide streaks I just used some ground gray chalk pastel and a stiff brush to put them directly on the model. If the painted streak wasn't quite right (which happened a lot), I'd either scrape at it lightly using a blade or give it a light sanding to get it closer to what I wanted. Where needed, I also brush painted little blobs at the top of some streaks to indicate the oily source of the leak.

I definitely recommend airbrushing the streaks to give it that authentic 5-footer look. Most of the streaks are narrower and fainter than you think. It's better to have a lot of faint streaks than it is to have fewer darker ones, IMHO. Keep the streaks from getting too uniform in thickness and darkness. Build up layers. Mist with some hull color to blend and finish up with a dusting of grime and viola!

To be honest, I kind of rushed the painting this weekend because I'm recovering from surgery and couldn't stay vertical for too long. This isn't a perfect technique, but it's working pretty well.
IMG_9088.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back