Bandai 1/72 PG Millennium Falcon (also the Revell Germany rebox)

Re: Bandai 1/72 Millennium Falcon

Per the Glass...no glass, Since the kit is/ was quite expensive, I am using EVERYTHING that came with it! And as Hunk a Junk said, She looks better to me with the glass When Landed! I carefully masked the glass and airbrushed the canopy. Then I dipped it in Future, Let it dry and the Glass looks amazing...almost as if there is no glass!

GLASS CANOPY...
[url]http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1024x768q90/923/3vidZx.jpg[/URL]

[url]http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1024x768q90/924/ZZ11tb.jpg[/URL]

And because it is a model of the beautiful 5' filming model, when in flight No Glass!!

[url]http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1024x768q90/923/JfowKE.jpg[/URL]

I will be swapping out the kit's cockpit for Joec's Miniature cockpit as well...Don't argue guys... build! And if Lou gets that masking for you, get it! It was a major pain getting that sharp cut!! I wish I waited for Lou's Masking set!
After dipping the glass in Future, do you do something to reduce the gloss on the non-clear part? I would think spraying dull coat would mess up the clear sections.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

Has anyone tried to use the no-glass-canopy and insert there some transparent sheet-material?

That would be very difficult because of the raised detail on the inside of the frames. It's be virtually impossible to make the sheet material sit flush to the frames. You'd be better off going with the clear piece and dip it in Future, as Capt. Solo suggested.

After dipping the glass in Future, do you do something to reduce the gloss on the non-clear part? I would think spraying dull coat would mess up the clear sections.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

Yes, sorry I forgot that bit...I airbrush it flat(after the windows have cured a few days), I carefully mask off the glass area.. Airbrush the clear flat mixture,looks awesome!

I use Tamiya clear flat ,with a wee bit of their flat base mixed in to make it completely flat.

Yes, sorry I forgot that bit...I airbrush it flat(after the windows have cured a few days), I carefully mask off the glass area.. Airbrush the clear flat mixture,looks awesome!

I use Tamiya clear flat ,with a wee bit of their flat base mixed in to make it completely flat.
Is there any reason to not dip the canopy in Future before painting, then masking and painting? Is there an issue with painting on top of Future?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Is there any reason to not dip the canopy in Future before painting, then masking and painting? Is there an issue with painting on top of Future?

I always Future my glass before masking and painting.
The Captain is creating an unnecessary extra step for himself.

Not criticizing, Cap - big fan of your work. :thumbsup

I always Future my glass before masking and painting.
The Captain is creating an unnecessary extra step for himself.

Not criticizing, Cap - big fan of your work. :thumbsup

All good my friend! You are right! I wasn't happy with the glass as is, after already painting the thing, So I added another step for myself!!Very happy with it now! But your way is the right way! I would advise anyone wanting to use the glass(as I said, this thing is super expensive!! Use everything!!), DO the future trick! The glass looks fantastic after!

:confused sorry for my ignorance but.... what is future?? (not phylosophically speaking [emoji38])
Pledge with Future shine floor polish. It's name has changed a bit over the years. Used to be just "Future".

It's a very inexpensive gloss coat and protectant for clear model parts.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

It's floor wax, officially now "Pledge with Future" (at least here in the States). Long-time modeling trick is to dip clear canopies in Future to give them more of a glass look. I'd link to product, but don't want to link to incorrect version (IIRC, you do NOT want Future for wood floors). Also good for gloss coats.

:confused sorry for my ignorance but.... what is future?? (not phylosophically speaking :lol)

Future Floor Polish.

737bfc938f6c3504fa55272ef533bdc0--pledge-floor-care-floor-wax.jpg

Future IS great on clear plastic, but I've learned from bitter experience: keep the model away from sunlight when you've found your display spot. Sunlight fogs the Future. It's very aggravating.

What do people think of the Falcon display stand? It doesn't seem very secure to me and the model kind of teeters on it (I'm just displaying it level and I would think it would be even more precarious with the tilted pieces). It's also strange that it doesn't really snap together and the display columns just sit on the base--it seems like there is some design to snap together built into it that I'm missing, which makes the whole thing a nightmare to move around.

What do people think of the Falcon display stand?

I hate it, which is why I'm going to make a custom mount and a much heavier base. There are very few places where you can handle this model, and the stand does not make it any easier to move it.

I like the unobtrusiveness and simplicity of the stand, but I agree that the model doesn't sit on it very securely. I'm replacing mine, but I'm making a blue screen ILM-style pole with a weighted base. I used an old desk lamp base for my FM Falcon and it works (and looks) great.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back