Bandai 1/72 PG Millennium Falcon (also the Revell Germany rebox)

Re: Bandai 1/72 Millennium Falcon

I'm loving putting this thing together so far... not sure what I'm going to do about the cockpit though.

My plan is to make an undetailed plug that would fit exactly where the current cockpit fits, same tabs, same dimensions, just no interior details. Then figure out what to model as far as ANH details. I'm tempted to keep the chairs and have them plug into whatever I end up printing, because they look great and don't have major difference from ESB to ANH.

however.... I sat han and chewie down in the one of the mandible access wells as I was building to reenact that "THIS one goes here, THAT one goes there" scene and I realized they're WAAAYY undersized. Bandai went with the in-universe overall Falcon length of 114' to get to 1:72 scale. I had toyed with the idea of making a printable Han holding a rag up to the starboard underside access pit, but at 1:72 scale he'd never be able to reach...

So I may attempt to rescale the model away from 1:72... for my own mods anyway...

The full-sized movie prop is about 86.5' long give or take. This gives a scale between 1:54 and 1:55 as near as my math can tell... This cockpit is gonna get real cramped...

to illustrate:

comparison.JPG

Last edited:

I'm loving putting this thing together so far... not sure what I'm going to do about the cockpit though.

My plan is to make an undetailed plug that would fit exactly where the current cockpit fits, same tabs, same dimensions, just no interior details. Then figure out what to model as far as ANH details. I'm tempted to keep the chairs and have them plug into whatever I end up printing, because they look great and don't have major difference from ESB to ANH.

however.... I sat han and chewie down in the one of the mandible access wells as I was building to reenact that "THIS one goes here, THAT one goes there" scene and I realized they're WAAAYY undersized. Bandai went with the in-universe overall Falcon length of 114' to get to 1:72 scale. I had toyed with the idea of making a printable Han holding a rag up to the starboard underside access pit, but at 1:72 scale he'd never be able to reach...

So I may attempt to rescale the model away from 1:72... for my own mods anyway...

The full-sized movie prop is about 86.5' long give or take. This gives a scale between 1:54 and 1:55 as near as my math can tell... This cockpit is gonna get real cramped...

It really is a screwed up ship of mysteries, looking forward to see what you do

J

Yeah, the new trilogy re-scaling they did for TFA in order to get the gun ports to fit, etc., kinda throws wrenches into the works for us "older folks" who first saw the Falcon on the big screen decades ago. Thanks for posting those hard numbers on the old and new measurements.

Hunk a Junk, your revelation about Paragrafix's forthcoming cockpit photoetch has made me stop and think, too. . .

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I feel like I read somewhere that for ESB they made the cockpit set a little larger than what it was in the original film, and that lost some of the claustrophobic feeling Lucas wanted with the Falcon's cockpit. And if this is true, I would think that putting the ESB cockpit in a falcon model would make the scale smaller than if you used the cockpit from the original film. I also think it's funny that Bandai went to the effort of making a perfect model kit of an iteration of the falcon that Lucasfilm doesn't want you to think existed, and then they give you the set interior from the wrong movie.

to illustrate:

View attachment 778626

In the "that one goes here" scene aren't Han and Chewie technically overscaled to the live set because the full size set for ESB was built smaller than 1:1 scale

I could be wrong but wasn't it intentionally undersized due to cost and space requirements

In the "that one goes here" scene aren't Han and Chewie technically overscaled to the live set because the full size set for ESB was built smaller than 1:1 scale

I could be wrong but wasn't it intentionally undersized due to cost and space requirements

there's no straight answer to that one, and we could (and have) go on for PAGES on the subject, heh. But for my money, and this is just my opinion, that set was never meant to be under-scale. between the ramp and the cockpit, I think that's what the ship was supposed to look like. The reason it gets scaled up is to get the interior set to fit, but that causes problems for both the interior and the exterior. The point is, we were never ever supposed to think about it this much.

the long and short of it is that if I make any figures to stand next to this model, I don't want them to look like they're the size of children compared to the ramp (see my previous diagram). It's just not what is on screen...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I feel like I read somewhere that for ESB they made the cockpit set a little larger than what it was in the original film, and that lost some of the claustrophobic feeling Lucas wanted with the Falcon's cockpit. And if this is true, I would think that putting the ESB cockpit in a falcon model would make the scale smaller than if you used the cockpit from the original film. I also think it's funny that Bandai went to the effort of making a perfect model kit of an iteration of the falcon that Lucasfilm doesn't want you to think existed, and then they give you the set interior from the wrong movie.

the ESB set is simply 18" or so deeper than the ANH cockpit (and has more details) but they both follow the same blueprints, with a maximum diameter of 8'. There are a few more differences but suffice it to say they're not actually all that different in scale.

But I agree, that just makes it even weirder that they went with an obiously ESB cockpit. Even going so far as to model the steering yokes that didn't exist in ANH.

maybe Bandai has explained their choice but it's in Japanese somewhere?

Is the gap on the right underside, between the mandible and the saucer, wider than the gap on the left?

A more definitive answer to this -- I just realized that it's not even a matter of one gap being wider than the other, but that the hull before the one mandible extends farther than the hull before the other one. Because of the curvature, the one naturally comes closer to the mandible. Who knew?

I have a update for anyone else here that might've ordered their MF from Hobbytown-USA. I ordered mine through them as soon as I saw someone else (sorry I can't remember who you are) post about it on here. Which was last Thursday night.

I bought it and received a confirmation # and receipt through email. Card was charged in full.

Didn't hear anything for a few days but I figured it was because of the weekend. I looked up the listing on their website and found the MF had been taken down.

So I got a bit concerned and inquired about my order. I got a quick response from the owner after messaging them on FB.

Turns out he was only able to secure 15 kits from his distributor and didn't want to oversell any. So as soon as he sold out he took the listing down. He didn't say how fast they sold but when I bought mine they had just recently gone up on his webpage.

Anyways, he told me that the kits are still en route to him from California and that I was one of the 15 that secured the kit.

So I suppose I'll be waiting for awhile longer but at least I know it will for sure be coming soon.

It will be awhile anyways before I attempt to tackle this monster kit.

In the meanwhile, I'm enjoying looking at all of yours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a update for anyone else here that might've ordered their MF from Hobbytown-USA. I ordered mine through them as soon as I saw someone else (sorry I can't remember who you are) post about it on here. Which was last Thursday night.

I bought it and received a confirmation # and receipt through email. Card was charged in full.

Didn't hear anything for a few days but I figured it was because of the weekend. I looked up the listing on their website and found the MF had been taken down.

So I got a bit concerned and inquired about my order. I got a quick response from the owner after messaging them on FB.

Turns out he was only able to secure 15 kits from his distributor and didn't want to oversell any. So as soon as he sold out he took the listing down. He didn't say how fast they sold but when I bought mine they had just recently gone up on his webpage.

Anyways, he told me that the kits are still en route to him from California and that I was one of the 15 that secured the kit.

So I suppose I'll be waiting for awhile longer but at least I know it will for sure be coming soon.

It will be awhile anyways before I attempt to tackle this monster kit.

In the meanwhile, I'm enjoying looking at all of yours.

The owner of Hobbytown-USA is a great guy. I'm sure you'll be fine.

Solo -- neat!

SteveStarkiller, thanks for the great reference image.

JoeCS, thanks for pointing out the hull issue! I just measured it, and you're right. I'm just glad it isn't because of anything I did. Bandai probably just accurately represented what's on the 5-footer.

Incidentally, there's another "mistake" I've noticed, and Bandai depicts that, too. On the left side of the rear landing gear box, there's no armor plating. Every other part of the ship has it -- this is the only bare spot. My assumption, tho based on no evidence, is that they erred in omitting it on the miniature, but figured, "ahh, no one will notice if we just paint that area to match." However, counter to 5-footer canon, I'm gonna make plating for that side. It does seem to be there on the 32-incher; it's definitely on the FM kit.

Incidentally, there's another "mistake" I've noticed, and Bandai depicts that, too. On the left side of the rear landing gear box, there's no armor plating. Every other part of the ship has it -- this is the only bare spot. My assumption, tho based on no evidence, is that they erred in omitting it on the miniature, but figured, "ahh, no one will notice if we just paint that area to match." However, counter to 5-footer canon, I'm gonna make plating for that side. It does seem to be there on the 32-incher; it's definitely on the FM kit.

I don't know if I would say it's a mistake. It's the original after all. There's also plating missing behind the right docking tube corridor on the bottom. Every subsequent Falcon whether the 32 inch or the movie set was a copy therefore is mistaken IMHO.
38e275d7e39a32286464567a48aaf1d6.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

I ordered mine through them as soon as I saw someone else (sorry I can't remember who you are) post about it on here. Which was last Thursday night.

Perhaps me. I posted something in this thread on Thursday night about my order.

Thanks for the update.

Mike Todd

Ah yes must've been you! No problem. I thought everyone would like to know.

Bandai went with the in-universe overall Falcon length of 114' to get to 1:72 scale. I had toyed with the idea of making a printable Han holding a rag up to the starboard underside access pit, but at 1:72 scale he'd never be able to reach...

Sigh. Yeah, I made a bunch of Docking Bay 94 set pieces, and scaled them to the official scaling... but I'm thinking of rescaling the way you're talking about to simulate the movie set look a bit more...

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back