Bandai 1/72 PG Millennium Falcon (also the Revell Germany rebox)

Re: Bandai 1/72 Millennium Falcon

The only thing I've ever paid duty on was stuff from think geek. (Which made things cost, like double. It was crazy high)

I also order a lot for work from the states. Lots of prop stuff or amazon purchases. Never pay duty on that

I separated the front half and back half of Bandai's cockpit interior with a coping saw so that it can be easily swapped out

20171110_163232.jpg
20171110_163419.jpg

I got mine earlier today from Amazon! The engineering and detail on this kit are astonishing.
I spent a couple of hours building up the engine deck already, LOL. It's gonna be a fun build!

I got mine earlier today from Amazon! The engineering and detail on this kit are astonishing.
I spent a couple of hours building up the engine deck already, LOL. It's gonna be a fun build!

Can't wait to get mine, too. I'm just envious of all you guys who've gotten theirs and have even completed building/painting. I'm just wondering what it feels like to hold a "5-footer" in my hands. By the way, this would have been awesome reference for a scratchbuild like yours! : )

Does anyone have a photo of the fans through the cool shade on the 5ft model? I'm trying to plan out whay color to paint them.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

It's really hard to say, as the Koolshade obscures the fan details quite a bit.

It *looks* like the fans are black, and the internal fan assembly might be a medium grey. But Bandai's etching lets a lot more light through than Koolshade does. So lowering the contrast seems like a good idea to me.

22688869_1973920959496595_8288856246785530341_n.jpg

Also, Bandai's decision to mould the fans into a single unit makes it a bit more awkward to paint the fan disc and blades separately from the wall of the fan mechanism.

Woo hoo--USA Gundam tracking info *finally* updated. Looks like it would've arrived today, except it's Veteran's Day in US so no mail delivery. But Monday is perfect. :)

It's really hard to say, as the Koolshade obscures the fan details quite a bit.

It *looks* like the fans are black, and the internal fan assembly might be a medium grey. But Bandai's etching lets a lot more light through than Koolshade does. So lowering the contrast seems like a good idea to me.

View attachment 772437
Thanks NKG! That's the best photo I've seen of the fan. You're right, the one piece assembly does make it awkward. I think I'm going to paint them the base color then dirty them up to achieve the look of that photo.

Couple things while looking over reference photos this morning... anyone I.D. the round faded decal to the starboard side of the Allied Van Lines logo on the top of the cockpit? Also, for the painting gurus out there, how would you handle the peeling/staining look on the hull?
cockpit staining copy.jpg

The staining in most places is just extremely thinned paint. Almost like a wash applied to a very specific area. You can even see the pooling of the paint along the edges where it dried.

The staining in most places is just extremely thinned paint. Almost like a wash applied to a very specific area. You can even see the pooling of the paint along the edges where it dried.

I'll have to run some experiments. It's the curved surface that seems to be the challenge. Will have to get the paint thin enough and still have enough surface tension to stay in place and not simply run down in drips.

I'll have to run some experiments. It's the curved surface that seems to be the challenge. Will have to get the paint thin enough and still have enough surface tension to stay in place and not simply run down in drips.
Sorry, I should have specified that you really just need the paint left over on your brush to achieve the effect. After you dip your brush into your diluted paint dab it a bit on a napkin or towel and then apply.

You guys should enlighten Yourselves with model/scale weathering. Check out a book by Shep Paine, Building Dioramas, The guy was a master modeler and one of many masters I learned techniques from. Now there, are no Stormtrooper helmets of Falcon's in his books as he built Tanks/planes etc. But his instructions will give you a realistic approach to your builds. His stuff looks real and that's the look Lucas wanted in the first Star Wars.

Last edited:

Part of enlightening myself is asking questions of other modelers. The book is a good suggestion too.

Not slighting you brother or any one else...sorry if it came off any other way than another helpful recommendation . I highly recommend the book! And Yes asking questions of other modelers is the way to go as well!

There are hundreds of YouTube videos on weathering models. Some are great, and some are lame, but you have to actually put in a little effort and go to YouTube and look them up to see. It really isn't necessary to buy a lot of specific weathering products to do justice to this Falcon. I use acrylics because they are safest with different plastics, and the clean-up is easier with just water. Just a few colors will yield great results. Craft shops like Michaels carry craft acrylics in almost any color you can imagine. Also Tamiya's weathering kits with 3 different colors of rust, soot, etc. are great for subtle weathering. I don't use an airbrush, so I have to use different techniques to achieve the look I want.

I am still waiting for my Falcon, by the way ...

Not slighting you brother or any one else...sorry if it came off any other way than another helpful recommendation . I highly recommend the book! And Yes asking questions of other modelers is the way to go as well!

All good. No slight in reverse. I'm going to order the book. I was asking about the staining on the Falcon cockpit just to get different ideas since it's such a specific peeling paint look that we can see other places on the ship. Getting the weathering right is going to require a combination of different techniques.

BTW, are any of these other decals included with the kit?
Cockpit decals.png

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back