Bandai 1/72 PG Millennium Falcon (also the Revell Germany rebox)

Re: Bandai 1/72 Millennium Falcon

I need help with something. The fans all have slits molded in them so you can attach the plastic grills. If I use the photo etched grills should those slits be filled in? I can't find good enough reference photos of the studio model to see if they exist or not.

Has your tracking updated yet? Mine hasn’t yet, although I’ll be waiting much longer than you guys regardless.
Mine hasn't updated yet. I sent an email to Adam at USA Gundam asking why. I think the answer might be that they shipped out so many items from their local USPS that the post office might be overwhelmed. Of course, today is Veterans Day, so most places (Post Office for sure) are not open for business. I'm sure this will resolve iteself soon.

I need help with something. The fans all have slits molded in them so you can attach the plastic grills. If I use the photo etched grills should those slits be filled in? I can't find good enough reference photos of the studio model to see if they exist or not.

The fans used on the five footer (which is the only Falcon model to have anything other than solid fan grilles) have narrow rectangular slots in the upper surface. The problem is that the Bandai 1:72 slots look too long to me. Also, some of them aren't properly centre-aligned - a couple of them are kind of off-centre.

*Fan interior detail.jpg

Quick question for thise using the Archive X paints-

How close is the molded plastic on the Falcon to the Archive X base color paint?

Lighter, darker, cooler, warmer??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mine hasn't updated yet. I sent an email to Adam at USA Gundam asking why. I think the answer might be that they shipped out so many items from their local USPS that the post office might be overwhelmed. Of course, today is Veterans Day, so most places (Post Office for sure) are not open for business. I'm sure this will resolve iteself soon.

Yeah I think you’re probably right that as it was such a big collection, it’s taking USPS a while to catch up & scan them all. Especially taking today’s holiday into account. Cheers mate.

I'm a logistics mgr. at a small manufacturing firm and honestly I've seen USPS fail to update tracking info until the day a package is delivered. Seen this more than once.

BTW, are any of these other decals included with the kit?
View attachment 772487

You can check all the included decals with this:
bandai-hobby.net/sw/products_img/millenniumfalcon_72_markinglocation.pdf

The upper two are included.
The researcher who worked for Bandai on this kit has stated in a published interview that they have sourced and replicated every single decal except for one which was not visible from the outside. The drawn markings (little strips and dots) and signature letterings of the names of the ILM modellers are not included.
So if we were to believe this statement, the strips on the lower left are not decals but drawn markings, and the circular blob is not a decal either.

You can check all the included decals with this:
bandai-hobby.net/sw/products_img/millenniumfalcon_72_markinglocation.pdf

The upper two are included.
The researcher who worked for Bandai on this kit has stated in a published interview that they have sourced and replicated every single decal except for one which was not visible from the outside. The drawn markings (little strips and dots) and signature letterings of the names of the ILM modellers are not included.
So if we were to believe this statement, the strips on the lower left are not decals but drawn markings, and the circular blob is not a decal either.

Thanks Lab. Whether the circular blob is a decal or not, I suppose it's blobby and faded enough to brush on.

A quick question if I may ; How much of the ‘ weathering / damage ‘ that some of you are attempting for this build is done on purpose ( as in what the modellers wanted for the 5 ft model at time of filming ) , and how much is the damage being replicated caused by , accidents , mishandling , wear and tear of said model over it’s many years of touring ?

In other words , ‘ How accurate is accurate - and what’s the criteria for it ‘ ? .

A quick question if I may ; How much of the ‘ weathering / damage ‘ that some of you are attempting for this build is done on purpose ( as in what the modellers wanted for the 5 ft model at time of filming ) , and how much is the damage being replicated caused by , accidents , mishandling , wear and tear of said model over it’s many years of touring ?

In other words , ‘ How accurate is accurate - and what’s the criteria for it ‘ ? .

Most if not all of the post-filming damage is missing pieces, but it's possible there is more. I would limit my references to period photos only, except for any modern pics where any damage can be determined to be "original".

I've been comparing museum photos, like these, to screen grabs from ANH. There are also period publicity and commercial photos, like the MPC box, that give a good indication where the damage is original. If ever in doubt, ask the question here and you're likely to get the answer from one of the great Falcon experts here (I'm not one of them).

In general, remember that the 5-footer was a working prop used in making the OT until the spring of 1983. It was heavily modified after ANH for TESB, but most of the changes seem limited to the lower hull. From 1983 to the 1990s it was mostly stored in the Lucasfilm archives before going on museum tours from the 1990s on. Whatever damage occurred post-ANH likely happened at ILM while it was being modified, used, and stored between projects.

So how accurate is accurate? Well, that's part of the fun and obsession of modeling. If I can see a detail in museum photos, and I can pick it out on a screen grab or in a publicity photo, then I'll absolutely add it. If the evidence is inconclusive, I'll ask here for second opinions (like I asked about the cockpit "blob" decal earlier in this thread). Thanks to modelers like JoeCS and nkg I've only recently learned plenty of new things about the 5-footer's original cockpit. I'm always learning new things. Eventually, however, unless you have a time machine or the 5-footer model sitting in front of you, it's impossible to be 100% accurate. Every modeler faces the "it's good enough" moment and you have to walk away. Paraphrasing the famous quote about films, models are never finished, they're abandoned. For the Bandai, my personal benchmark is the MPC box lid. I want my finished (or abandoned) model to look as close to the photo on that box as possible. That's the model I wanted when I was 11-years-old. To me, that's as accurate as I need to get with this model.

Hey gedmac66, I think robn1 said it best. Quite simply, before I add any damage I cross reference with a set of production photos such as this one to see if it was there. These are all in the new chronicles book.
c2e77b7cb7d06265270a8532b3836fc0.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:

Cheers guys ,

I guess that’s the dilemma I’m facing . There’s so much information / opinions out there - pictorial archives , books , private / shared photo collections , websites etc... provided by so many more knowledgeable persons than I , regarding the Falcon . It can get overwhelming at times . Even when just catching up on news , or hoping to find inspiration from reading some of the posts I’ve been following on threads , since joining up last year .
I set out thinking I know what I want to ‘ try ‘ to accomplish with my build after ( in my mind ) much research , only to find a whole slew of differing ‘ new ‘ data has been shared !
Hunk a Junk mentioned ‘ fun and obsession ‘ in modelling . Don’t know if I’m obsessed or possessed at that !;)

Last edited by a moderator:

gedmac66, You're not alone. This stuff can drive people crazy -- and for most of us that's a very short drive! :lol Ultimately, you need to satisfying yourself. The PG Bandai may be the last Falcon I ever make because at some point I need to move on to the stash of other kits in storage. I want it to be great, but I know it will never be 100% perfect. I know I have to limit myself because I could easily work on building it for a decade or more. I have a 1701 Refit I purchased in 2003 that still is only 10% finished! Just remember, build it as best you can, but know that someone (probably Mark Myers, Jaitea, or Astroboy, to name only a few) will undoubtedly do it better. Gotta make peace with that and just do your best to follow in their footsteps. :cheers

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back