Bandai 1/72 PG Millennium Falcon (also the Revell Germany rebox)

Re: Bandai 1/72 Millennium Falcon

I wonder if anyone knows what "A" is. It looks like a greeblie, but is missing from the kit.

View attachment 812565

Any progress on the missing docking ring piece, Lab? That piece was definitely there during the filming of ANH. I really want to restore it if we can figure out what it was. These two pictures give some indication. To me eye, it looks like the rectangular shape is fairly substantial (based on its shadow) with a tube or narrower strip raised off the surface extending out away toward the outer ring lip. Could it be a machine gun off a WWII bomber kit or something? The tube sure looks like a gun barrel.
missing docking ring 2.jpegmissing docking ring piece 1.jpeg

Looks like a tiny propane tank you'd see at a rural home, and a larger scale rifle barrel with a long silencer on it...

Any progress on the missing docking ring piece, Lab? That piece was definitely there during the filming of ANH. I really want to restore it if we can figure out what it was.

Thank you for the images.
This is the clearest that I have.

falcon_scan_t.jpg

I am still searching for the identity of this part. I thought may be it is an exhaust of a truck or something, the likes of this:

1355_1_rod715_1_.jpg

I am simply in awe of the relentless tenacity you guys have to replicate every single noticeable detail.

As for me, I had no intention of taking such time when I started painting this kit. My initial goal was to match the sample on the instruction manual, so I didn't care to do things like bending the edges of the hull plating during the assembly. But as I went on to weathering, I realized that the more detail I replicate, the more Falcon-like it becomes. This might have sounded dumb and obvious, but I think this owes greatly to the accuracy of this kit as a foundation. Replicating minor details could have the side effect of emphasizing larger inaccuracies (like the overall proportion), but is virtually non-existent in this kit.

That's a much better image, Lab! If nothing else, I can scratch something vaguely the right shape and swap it out with something more accurate if we get a definitive answer at some point.

I agree. Starting out, I thought I'd be happy to get the kit reasonably close to looking accurate, but the kit is so good that I can't help myself but go those extra few steps to get it completely right. I think part of that is due to the fact that for decades we've had nothing but kits that are nowhere close to accurate and even herculean efforts could only result in a finished model that was better but still not perfect. I put months into my Fine Molds 1/72 and even after major surgeries the best I could get was "good enough." This kit represents the best starting point of any kit I've ever seen. To paraphrase 'As Good As It Gets,' "It makes me want to be a better modeler."

SW Modeling Archive II is available for anyone keeping watch. I just got mine today. There's some nice Falcon builds, some Slave I, various trooper builds, Rogue 1 stuff and a few PT projects.

uuEg3Dzh.jpg

LwPg8Auh.jpg

Thank you for the images.
This is the clearest that I have.

View attachment 813981

I am still searching for the identity of this part. I thought may be it is an exhaust of a truck or something, the likes of this:

View attachment 813982

As for me, I had no intention of taking such time when I started painting this kit. My initial goal was to match the sample on the instruction manual, so I didn't care to do things like bending the edges of the hull plating during the assembly. But as I went on to weathering, I realized that the more detail I replicate, the more Falcon-like it becomes. This might have sounded dumb and obvious, but I think this owes greatly to the accuracy of this kit as a foundation. Replicating minor details could have the side effect of emphasizing larger inaccuracies (like the overall proportion), but is virtually non-existent in this kit.
The part in question is from the Airfix 1/24 Hurricane.

Note* Photo credit of the kit scan goes to Mensaboy on the SSM site.

Stu

Attachments

• 1525130770273.jpg
    1525130770273.jpg
    543.4 KB · Views: 154
Last edited:

I had recently scratched this part from my limited sources... looks a bit out of proportion now. Nice work on finding the real source!

IMG_4328.jpg

Eagle 1 for the WIN! Amazing! I need to start working on some prototypes. I estimate the piece should be roughly 7/16" long (1.10 cm) at 1/72. Am I close?

Last edited:

Okay, I did this mock up quick and dirty, but I think it gives us a good idea of how big the piece should be when placed on the docking ring.
Missing piece placement 3.jpgMissing piece placement 2.jpgMissing piece placement 1.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back