Bandai 1/72 PG Millennium Falcon (also the Revell Germany rebox)

Re: Bandai 1/72 Millennium Falcon

Looks great, Jaitea! Do you have dimensions for your maintenance pits?

Not really,....I used the panel positions from ref pics to plot where to cut,...as you said.....if only we had some clear straight on images...I'm not 100% happy with the shapes of the card that would need added between the printed gear boxes & the new pits

J

Somebody on Facebook had a set to replace the horrible 1:350 scale Bandai Falcon stickers. Does anyone remember who that was?

Britcinescribe;[URL="tel:4511981" said:
4511981[/URL]]Somebody on Facebook had a set to replace the horrible 1:350 scale Bandai Falcon stickers. Does anyone remember who that was?

Check out eBay, too... I've ran across some on there.

Updated Starboard

attachment.php

J

Attachments

• Lines 2.jpg
    Lines 2.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 1,802

beauty is right...I'd love to build a 5 footer, don't know where I'd put it but it'd be a gas to build. At that scale you could pretty much scratch the entire thing if needs be. I suppose though the Deago in the closet will do. Heck, I don't know where I'm gonna put that one!:wacko:lol
Here's some images of Lee Malone's (Rogue Studio) studio scale replica of the ESB 5 Footer.....what a beauty

View attachment 838736View attachment 838737View attachment 838739View attachment 838740

J

Is there any definitive best build guide for this ?

I know for the Deagostini the were a couple of epic threads or YouTube videos to follow.

It seems there are a few who start but many seem to succumb to what is known as "extended build Falconitis". I hope they continue.

The UK guy on You Tube - Scale Model Jedi was doing really well. Hopefully he finishes it. Weathering was started and actually not too much more to go after streaking and detailing.

No doubt it is a journey !

You know, I've seen a bit of that also, spotty threads shall we say...haven't seen a good "start to finish". Though I'm sure there has to be some here, just haven't stumbled upon them yet. Someone here knows. I like reviewing other folks builds, I always, always pick up ideas and methods I wasn't aware of or hadn't tried yet, then I can see the results which are most often excellent :thumbsup This is an exceptional community here and I'm fortunate to have discovered it and become a part of it.
Is there any definitive best build guide for this ?

I know for the Deagostini the were a couple of epic threads or YouTube videos to follow.

It seems there are a few who start but many seem to succumb to what is known as "extended build Falconitis". I hope they continue.

The UK guy on You Tube - Scale Model Jedi was doing really well. Hopefully he finishes it. Weathering was started and actually not too much more to go after streaking and detailing.

No doubt it is a journey !

Okay. I've had a chat with Antonio and he has no plans on making the ESB-era maintenance pits for the PG Falcon. So we're going to team up, as it were, and I'll make them since he's made the landing gear and landing gear boxes. However, I'm going to be travelling for the next three weeks so it might be a little while before they're done. They're actually kind of complicated, geometry wise!

Here's another draft. Lots of things that aren't right about it, but it's moving in the right direction, I think.

Screen Shot 2018-08-25 at 00.55.04.png

Last edited:

Rockin' good news!! :thumbsup Thanks Nkg, it'll be a while before I need them, but at least now I know I won't have to fudge them together(y)cheers
Okay. I've had a chat with Antonio and he has no plans on making the ESB-era maintenance pits for the PG Falcon. So we're going to team up, as it were, and I'll make them. However, I'm going to be travelling for the next three weeks so it might be a little while before they're done. They're actually kind of complicated, geometry wise!

Here's another draft. Lots of things that aren't right about it, but it's moving in the right direction, I think.

View attachment 838959

View attachment 837729View attachment 837730View attachment 837731View attachment 837731View attachment 837732ok, so here it is, gear boxes where they will go and the lower jaw in place. going off Jaitea's diagram, I placed them in this position. measurement of the rear boxes edge to edge, I get 6 1/4 inch, the rear of the front boxes, 6 3/8. So, while not exactly in line, it's 1/16 wider on either side...to me … big whoop. I think they're good, magnificent actually. I'm looking forward to starting this phase of the project, but that's a couple weeks off yet. I want to continue with the rest of what I'm working on currently while it's still fresh in my mind.

So I finally pulled out both the PG MF and the 144th scale MF. I compared the two kits with respect to the front and back gear boxes, and I compared both kits to the pictures of the 3D printed boxes. And the boxes do, in fact, look like they stick out to the side too far, compared with the 144th scale kit. My guestimate is one-forth of an inch, at least. The boxes on the 144th scale kit are almost exactly, if not exactly, lined up with each other. When I measured the width of the rear box, it seems like the PG kit is about one-quarter of inch narrower than the 144th scale kit. There's a lot going on here.

If my measurements are correct, than part of the issue is that the 144th rear box is too wide (and wider than the rear box of the PG kit), and the front boxes on the 144th kit line up with the "too-wide" rear box. And the scaled up 3D parts are, thus, too wide for the PG kit.

I didn't use photos of the filming model, so it's all bunk anyway.

There may be issues with how the pics were taken and/or how the 3D parts are set on the PG kit.
It's been stated that the 144th kit is the basis for this set and I don't really know what that entails.

Looking forward to comments. I don't want to trash this aftermarket kit, but as it is, I won't buy it, as much of an ESB guy that I am. And if I'm right and there is a "corrected" item that hits the market, then I have something to think about.
Mike Todd

Hey Mike,
Everyone has their opinions and I certainly respect yours, you've obviously done the homework and done some syphering and I have to say, you went to much more effort than I did, or would have. For myself though I'm good with it, and after re-examining it myself, you are totally correct. I can live with the "inaccuracy" as no one that will see mine will ever know, let alone care. I admire you guys that need everything just right, and I aspire to reach that level in the work I do, I'm just not there yet. However, every time I see the work of someone at that level it makes me try just a little bit harder. :thumbsup
Cheer my friend! :cheers
So I finally pulled out both the PG MF and the 144th scale MF. I compared the two kits with respect to the front and back gear boxes, and I compared both kits to the pictures of the 3D printed boxes. And the boxes do, in fact, look like they stick out to the side too far, compared with the 144th scale kit. My guestimate is one-forth of an inch, at least. The boxes on the 144th scale kit are almost exactly, if not exactly, lined up with each other. When I measured the width of the rear box, it seems like the PG kit is about one-quarter of inch narrower than the 144th scale kit. There's a lot going on here.

If my measurements are correct, than part of the issue is that the 144th rear box is too wide (and wider than the rear box of the PG kit), and the front boxes on the 144th kit line up with the "too-wide" rear box. And the scaled up 3D parts are, thus, too wide for the PG kit.

I didn't use photos of the filming model, so it's all bunk anyway.

There may be issues with how the pics were taken and/or how the 3D parts are set on the PG kit.
It's been stated that the 144th kit is the basis for this set and I don't really know what that entails.

Looking forward to comments. I don't want to trash this aftermarket kit, but as it is, I won't buy it, as much of an ESB guy that I am. And if I'm right and there is a "corrected" item that hits the market, then I have something to think about.
Mike Todd

Anyone have reference shots of the five footers landing gear? I'm having a hard time locating some good shots.

Is it just me, or did anybody else's part J22 (P. 47) not reach all the way down into the maintenance pit?

8B7A0F82-5811-47C8-8188-77ACF245B1A1.jpg

SB

Attachments

• 8B7A0F82-5811-47C8-8188-77ACF245B1A1.jpeg
    8B7A0F82-5811-47C8-8188-77ACF245B1A1.jpeg
    582.9 KB · Views: 248
Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back