Bandai 1/72 PG Millennium Falcon (also the Revell Germany rebox)

Re: Bandai 1/72 Millennium Falcon

That would be SUPER! Thanks Jaitea :thumbsup Say fellas, I sent these same pics to Tony and he suggested doing a side shot that shows the new boxes in relation to the center gear housing on the lower jaw...I didn't do that for fear if I pressed the jaw all the way in, I wouldn't get it back out. You guys cool with what I've done?
Yes,...positive results......I'll do some more research on what to cut & what to leave....& what exactly is in the new pits

J

Of course, the ESB-era maintenance pits are significantly different from the ANH-era ones in terms of shape, size, and contents. In fact, I'd say the ANH ones are much more interesting looking.

The ESB-era 5 foot pits, widened and reshaped to fit the TFA/TLJ maintenance pit holes (which were mirrored, unlike the ESB ones), look like this.

Screen Shot 2018-08-19 at 22.56.11.png

Of course, the ESB-era maintenance pits are significantly different from the ANH-era ones in terms of shape, size, and contents. In fact, I'd say the ANH ones are much more interesting looking.

The ESB-era 5 foot pits, widened and reshaped to fit the TFA/TLJ maintenance pit holes (which were mirrored, unlike the ESB ones), look like this.

View attachment 838015

Nice one nkg

Yep.....less care,....they were done in a hurry

You'll have these available on shapeways?.....do you plan on refining them a bit more?

J

Ah ha...it looks like someone is working on this already??? I had planned on just scooting the others over...BUT, if what I suspect is true...you're all over this huh? Let us know brother, I'm certain there are at least a half dozen ready to get a set of those...I know of 3 for certain :thumbsup

View attachment 838015

So those are the maintenance pits I designed for the Bandai 1:144 Falcon. That’s why they have the shape of the TFA/TLJ Falcon’s maintenance holes, and why they’re moderately low-rez detail-wise.

They would need work to be adapted to the PG 1:72 model, beyond the obvious scale doubling. Detail would need to be improved, and most importantly the overall hole shapes would need to be redone. The OT ESB Falcon has narrower and asymmetrical pits.

If Tony is planning on making pits I won’t bother, but if he has no plans to do so I could rework these ones. I would need to know the dimensions that people want to work from, though. And it would take a bit of time - I have the next few weeks booked out with travelling.

Also note that it’s really tough getting the details of these pits right. Ironically unlike the now non-existent ANH pits, for which excellent photos recently appeared, the ESB pits have no publicly available high-rez straight-on shots. All the fan photos taken at exhibitions were taken from odd angles, owing to the way they mount the five foot Falcon for show. So if anybody has a high-rez image of these pits not at a crazy angle I’d love to see them! For now I’d probably crib a bunch of details from Jay Machado, who has done some fantastic work in this regard.

Well, as far as I know Tony isn't, we never discussed it. In fact I'm sure he's glad to have this gear bay thing out of his hair, he's got other irons in the fire, lots of them. I never even thought about it till you and Jaitea mentioned it. I think it would be nice to have some pieces for it that are correct, but then I've never been one of those guys that just that obsess over "accuracy". If it looks good and like it ought to look, I don't care if it's accurate. It sounds like Jaitea is working on what you need already, hopefully he will be able to supply you with what you need :confused
Jaitea? I do hope I understood what you said correctly, and I didn't just volunteer you for something? :confused
So those are the maintenance pits I designed for the Bandai 1:144 Falcon. That’s why they have the shape of the TFA/TLJ Falcon’s maintenance holes, and why they’re moderately low-rez detail-wise.

They would need work to be adapted to the PG 1:72 model, beyond the obvious scale doubling. Detail would need to be improved, and most importantly the overall hole shapes would need to be redone. The OT ESB Falcon has narrower and asymmetrical pits.

If Tony is planning on making pits I won’t bother, but if he has no plans to do so I could rework these ones. I would need to know the dimensions that people want to work from, though. And it would take a bit of time - I have the next few weeks booked out with travelling.

Also note that it’s really tough getting the details of these pits right. Ironically unlike the now non-existent ANH pits, for which excellent photos recently appeared, the ESB pits have no publicly available high-rez straight-on shots. All the fan photos taken at exhibitions were taken from odd angles, owing to the way they mount the five foot Falcon for show. So if anybody has a high-rez image of these pits not at a crazy angle I’d love to see them! For now I’d probably crib a bunch of details from Jay Machado, who has done some fantastic work in this regard.

Actually, I was just thinking - it's kind of funny, but I don't think that there have ever been any commercial models of the ESB five foot Falcon. Have there?

The old MPC/AMT/Ertl/Airfix Falcon was based on the 1977/ANH Falcon, in addition to being pretty inaccurate. The two Fine Molds kits were based on the 32" Falcon, as was the De Agostini. The Bandai PG Falcon was the 1977/ANH Falcon. The non-PG Bandais were either ANH/1977 (ish) or TFA/TLJ. The non-Fine Molds rebox Revell kits were all kind of random but mostly 32" I think. Anything else?

So, until Bandai release a PG Falcon, ESB edition (which we all think is probable at some point), modified Bandai PG ANH/1977 Falcons, or modified Bandai 1:144 TFA/TLJ Falcons, are the closest thing. :)

Jaitea? I do hope I understood what you said correctly, and I didn't just volunteer you for something? :confused

Yep......it does help a lot that nkg has shown us images of his wells....but I'll have a look through my ref pics

Actually, I was just thinking - it's kind of funny, but I don't think that there have ever been any commercial models of the ESB five foot Falcon. Have there?

The old MPC/AMT/Ertl/Airfix Falcon was based on the 1977/ANH Falcon, in addition to being pretty inaccurate. The two Fine Molds kits were based on the 32" Falcon, as was the De Agostini. The Bandai PG Falcon was the 1977/ANH Falcon. The non-PG Bandais were either ANH/1977 (ish) or TFA/TLJ. The non-Fine Molds rebox Revell kits were all kind of random but mostly 32" I think. Anything else?

So, until Bandai release a PG Falcon, ESB edition (which we all think is probable at some point), modified Bandai PG ANH/1977 Falcons, or modified Bandai 1:144 TFA/TLJ Falcons, are the closest thing. :)

Yep.....never been done,....but remember the Bandai guys all over the 5 footer taking measurements.....it's pretty much guaranteed that they have detailed shots of those ESB wells

J

Yep......it does help a lot that nkg has shown us images of his wells....but I'll have a look through my ref pics

Well - of my low-rez (1:144 is the target intent) wells, distorted to fit the TFA/TLJ differently shaped wells! :)

Yep.....never been done,....but remember the Bandai guys all over the 5 footer taking measurements.....it's pretty much guaranteed that they have detailed shots of those ESB wells

Oh, I don't doubt they've already built full 3D models of the ESB wells, and it's just a matter of marketing deciding on timing. It's my main reason I've been reluctant to do a ton of work on ESB-era modifications for the PG Falcon, as I know Bandai will then eliminate the market for such add-ons...

Well, like I say..."concourse de elegance" is not my particular goal, but that's just me. The gear boxes were very important to have, for obvious reasons, as well as the extremely valuable image that Jaitea posted of where the maintenance wells should be for ESB. But other than that, I'm satisfied with taking a piece of what comes in the kit and chopping it up to fit and/or scratch it the best I can. However, if you guys are going to pursue it, cool, I'm on board for buying a set for sure. And by no means are my comments meant to be negative so please fellas, don't take it that way...I admire those who strive for pinpoint accuracy :thumbsup I guess maybe I'm kinda lazy that way :unsure

Thanks, Jaitea. Yes - basically the same as what I've got. Mostly shots taken by fans at exhibitions. They're fantastic and well detailed, and we're lucky to have them. But since none are square on it's really difficult to figure out the correct proportions and locations on the parts. Without a bunch of photogrammetry work, and I haven't got the software to do that!

Here are a few more.

View attachment e2b103f8ff05a7f57ef0c41519a61806.jpg Screen Shot 2017-01-08 at 22.12.48.jpg DSC_2755.jpg Bottom Right 04.jpg

all good bro, took a while but worth the wait. Some of the other fellas are of the opinion that Bandai will have an ESB version in the near and they're likely right, but who knows...and how much will it be? I know I'm not going to be buying another one, at this price this is an only child.
Once Tony had the epiphany on what to do on these, it took him like 2 days...the freakin' guy is a genius. I asked him once if he could work up the walls and ceiling for the MPC entry corridor...1 week, BOOM. Blows me away the talent this guy has. Anyway, I'm glad I'm not the only one who wants these and I hope Tony will be able to sell a great many of them. Spread the word :thumbsup
Super cool! Thank you! I hope I didn't come off as whiny or anything...I think it was just the placement for your original pics that was throwing me off.
I am still excited to stick these on my next PG...and like yourself, I'm totally ok with some variation.
Thank you again for getting with Tony, and helping get these into existance for us ESB lovers.

I feel that the only thing stopping Bandai from making an ESB Falcon is the cost.

There's gonna be a need for some extensive retooling for the kit, from the underside, to the mandibles, the turrets, etc. as well as the need to research the 32-incher with the same scrutiny as they did the 5-footer.

Well, Tony just scaled up the gear boxes from a 1/144 for the PG 1/72 and did it in a couple days. Wouldn't Bandai have the capability to just scale up the entire hull piece from the 1/144 and then make the proper adjustments? No sarcasm, serious question.
I feel that the only thing stopping Bandai from making an ESB Falcon is the cost.

There's gonna be a need for some extensive retooling for the kit, from the underside, to the mandibles, the turrets, etc. as well as the need to research the 32-incher with the same scrutiny as they did the 5-footer.

Well, Tony just scaled up the gear boxes from a 1/144 for the PG 1/72 and did it in a couple days. Wouldn't Bandai have the capability to just scale up the entire hull piece from the 1/144 and then make the proper adjustments? No sarcasm, serious question.

My guess is that Bandai has already done the preliminary design work for the ESB version. It's now a matter of how well the PG ANH version has sold and would they get a return on their ESB version investment if placed into production. Only time will tell.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back