Bandai 1/72 PG Millennium Falcon (also the Revell Germany rebox)

Re: Bandai 1/72 Millennium Falcon

My screen name is Kamandi on SSF. I posted those. It's all good.

Actually those are captures of something posted here about 10-15 pages ago.

Hey, everyone:

Lurking on this thread finally pushed me over the edge, so while waiting for some aftermarket bits to be made for an aircraft build, I decided to start the Falcon (and much as ppl joke, when opening the box you really do hear angelic singing--every time! :D). Until I figure out how to tackle the less-than-ideal cockpit (I'm not going to obsess over it, so might just slap on the decals as best I can and move on), I jumped ahead to the maintenance pits.

ANYWAY, I bought Guy's ArchiveX enamels, so my question is thus--what would be a good primer to use under the enamel? I typically don't prime my AC kits (gasps of horror?), so my knowledge of priming is about zero.

Thanks!

Decals before or after weathering??

I think it depends on what type of weathering you want to do, and which decals you want to use (as in panels and tiny decals or just the tiny ones). This will be my process, I'm using just the tiny decals and I'm holding off on them till almost the end because I'll be doing lots of dusting that would cover them up.

Primer
Basecoat
Panels
Panel chips and basecoat chips
Panel dusting
Clear coat?
Streaks
Blast marks
Overall dusting
Spattering
Rust spots
Hash marks (gray marker, not black)
Decals
Decal sanding
Chipping touchups

I think it depends on what type of weathering you want to do, and which decals you want to use (as in panels and tiny decals or just the tiny ones). This will be my process, I'm using just the tiny decals and I'm holding off on them till almost the end because I'll be doing lots of dusting that would cover them up.

Primer
Basecoat
Panels
Panel dusting
Clear coat?
Streaks
Blast marks
Overall dusting
Spattering
Rust spots
Decals
Decal sanding
Chipping touchups

Thanks this really helps! Been doing a lot of research on all the different processes every one uses on their falcon builds. Wondering though if the last step is missing to matte varnish everything?

nycc2017-tn-6.jpgDoes anyone have the dimensions of how big the space hanger at mos eisley would need to be for a diorama. I saw Blufin had one on display at comic con.

Last edited:

Thanks this really helps! Been doing a lot of research on all the different processes every one uses on their falcon builds. Wondering though if the last step is missing to matte varnish everything?

Is this all YouTube research or what? Because I’ve been bombing out looking for books that discuss this subject. I’m a book kinda guy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Is this all YouTube research or what? Because I’ve been bombing out looking for books that discuss this subject. I’m a book kinda guy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I’m working through reading every post on this long thread actually. I’m also watching YouTube videos of all kinds of weathering techniques on falcon and nonfalcon models. I’m opposite of you I guess where I need lots of visuals. There was actually a book that was recommended on this thread way back but I can’t seem to find the post. I know it’s there somewhere.

Bandai 1/72 Millennium Falcon

Primer
Basecoat
Panels
Panel dusting
Clear coat?
Streaks
Blast marks
Overall dusting
Spattering
Rust spots
Decals
Decal sanding
Chipping touchups

This!
Misting / dusting is the reason I ask this.

Logically decals would come before weathering but when misting is involved iim afraid it will wash out the details on the decal.

I may do 80% of misting first, apply the decals, and then mist the other 20% afterwards.

Still up in the air

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve been bombing out looking for books that discuss this subject. I’m a book kinda guy.

There was actually a book that was recommended on this thread way back but I can’t seem to find the post. I know it’s there somewhere.

Captain Han Solo (aka MarkMyers) recommended a book by Sheperd Paine, 'Building Dioramas' back on page 80 not sure if goes into the specifics of painting tips and techniques but he has a number of other books that might cover what you're after.

You guys should enlighten Yourselves with model/scale weathering. Check out a book by Shep Paine, Building Dioramas, The guy was a master modeler and one of many masters I learned techniques from. Now there, are no Stormtrooper helmets of Falcon's in his books as he built Tanks/planes etc. But his instructions will give you a realistic approach to your builds. His stuff looks real and that's the look Lucas wanted in the first Star Wars.

This internal piece is slightly misshapen in my kit. It acts like a spring pushing the engine deck away. how important will this be later in construction? Can this be cut away?

1DdbblUh.jpg

Anyone know what the consenus is on the color pattern these little flap tips?

THey seem to be different depending on which photos youre looking at.

cd4fba03d44136c44fa120a2d44c96ea.jpg
1d945ca4723d841e17d259e5314f9882.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back