Bandai 1/72 PG Millennium Falcon (also the Revell Germany rebox)

Re: Bandai 1/72 Millennium Falcon

How do you spray your Gloss Black Stynylrez? Anytime I've done it, it leaves a slight orange peel.
Funny, I've never had that problem. I just follow the instructions: shake well, set the pressure in the recommended range and no thinning. I use a .4mm nozzle out of a H&S Infinity. You can flood this stuff on and it will still level out nicely, though I do mine in light coats.

I will be priming the model (when I get it) with grey Hycote car primer......goes on nice & smooth,...never splatters & is like a micron layer thickness......what is the point of painting the model black when the kit parts are all the same colour,....light grey.....black basing done on a multi-coloured kit-bashed model I can understand

Here's John Simmon's DeAgostini (started with grey primer)....the real 32" & my FineMolds (scaled up.....with no cockpit started with grey primer)

attachment.php

J

....also....how thick will the top coat have to be to cover up the black......pretty thick

Attachments

• 32" top compare John simmons & my fm.jpg
    32" top compare John simmons & my fm.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 1,138
Last edited:

what is the point of painting the model black when the kit parts are all the same colour,....light grey.....black basing done on a multi-coloured kit-bashed model I can understand

J

In my case, I'm want to follow ILM's method where I can. It might give me some depth in the shadow areas since my top coat will be closer to white. I also want to be able to scratch off some of the paint and primer in various places to get those black ring we see all over the ship.
damage detail.jpgDamage detail 2.jpg

Each to their own I suppose,....I can understand the reason ILM did it, but not on a model kit,....I think that will be too much paint

J

I have been using the Army Painter Matt Black color primer rattle can as a black primer coat for black basing, and I have had really good results. I think it is some sort of acrylic, though I have been using it under Tamiya lacquers without a problem. It goes on unbelievably thin (much, much thinner than the lacquer that follows), and the 400ml can goes a long way.

https://shop.thearmypainter.com/products.php?ProductGroupId=15#Matt Black Undercoat

I use Army Painter White or Black primers for all my metal/plastic/resin gaming miniatures.

I also use them to prime my models as well when I do primer stuff

It is a great primer. They are so smooth sometimes they appear almost like a gloss paint more than a matte paint.

Each to their own I suppose,....I can understand the reason ILM did it, but not on a model kit,....I think that will be too much paint

J

It might be. I'm definitely going to run some tests. See, this is why I need you to get a kit. Then when I see what you're doing is working, I can copy you. It's a win-win! :cheers

I will be priming the model (when I get it) with grey Hycote car primer......goes on nice & smooth,...never splatters & is like a micron layer thickness......what is the point of painting the model black when the kit parts are all the same colour,....light grey.....black basing done on a multi-coloured kit-bashed model I can understand

Here's John Simmon's DeAgostini (started with grey primer)....the real 32" & my FineMolds (scaled up.....with no cockpit started with grey primer)

https://www.therpf.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=773337&d=1510682137
J

....also....how thick will the top coat have to be to cover up the black......pretty thick

Is it just me or do people tend to make that dark grey more blue than it appears on the Studio model? It looks fairly grey to me on the 5 footer

- - - Updated - - -

In my case, I'm want to follow ILM's method where I can. It might give me some depth in the shadow areas since my top coat will be closer to white. I also want to be able to scratch off some of the paint and primer in various places to get those black ring we see all over the ship.
View attachment 773342View attachment 773343
Gundam markers work really well for those finicky little dark grey marks

Is it just me or do people tend to make that dark grey more blue than it appears on the Studio model? It looks fairly grey to me on the 5 footer

Yeah,....I don't see blue on the 5 footer or the 32" , was it the MR that started all that?

J

- - - Updated - - -

Gundam markers work really well for those finicky little dark grey marks

It's like the Red 5 canopy. Somehow it's evolved to dark grey just because it looks dark grey in one over saturated photo.

However, I do think the 32inch gray panels towards the front have a little more blue to them than does the 5ft.

Sometimes these color conversations remind me of this scene from the old classic "Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House." Ours is the nerd version, of course.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s33ScN4D-HU

Not this grey next to the blaster mark, more like this streak next to the impact area. But not the ocher, the grey. Not the panel but the streak. Now for this panel I want red, but not caboose red, more boxcar red. With blaster marks. Not pinpoint marks, more like feathered blaster marks.

Mine arrived yesterday. Looks like it had to run a blockade and the shipping box took significant battle damage.

71be4e47a1bab7d72298d73f61fb81ee.jpg

But the inner black box was still pristine. Looking inside, the large panels seemed a bit underwhelming after all the hype. As I dug down and the parts got smaller the detail seemed to get finer and finer - a very counterintuitive relationship. I started getting excited.

Excitement morphed into apprehension as I dug into side #2 (inside that big black box it's divided indeed into two compartments, left and right). There were SO MANY friggin' parts. OMG! It would take me years of patient building to put all this together. Let alone PAINT the thing so as to do it any justice at all.

Apprehension transitioned into outright fear as I got to the 'box within the box' filled with piping and stuff I will need to use a microscope to pick and place onto the model - if I ever get that far. I was afraid to look at them too hard lest I break one in two just through the act of observation.

Never even noticed the electronics package - wherever that was hidden. By that point, I had settled on despair as I carefully reversed everything I had done to put the genie back in the box, as it were.

Need to find some way to get worthy before I contemplate opening that box again with intention to do anything but gawk.

Just, wow!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I got mine and immediately started building. The thing is a joy to behold and a very fiddly thing to build. Tiny, tiny parts! OY!

This caught my eye this morning on the right front mandible tip. I was in the process of writing a post concerned that Bandai may have missed something here or I may have missed a piece when the thought occurred to me to check the original reference in my Chronicles book. I'll be damned, they got it right again. Don't know when or why this was modified or if it was a part put back on incorrectly after falling off, but damn you Bandai and your perfection!
20171115_084711.jpgDSC_2202.jpg20171115_093936.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back