Bandai 1/72 PG Millennium Falcon (also the Revell Germany rebox)

Re: Bandai 1/72 Millennium Falcon

Oh yeah, the stand is really nice D.S.! I want it :D
I´m done with my streaks. I made it with a fine brush, a steady hand and much patience.
(502 Abteilung Starship Filth and Dark Mud)

A picture with day light:
[url=http://abload.de/image.php?img=img_20180213_122901_182s86.jpg][url]https://abload.de/img/img_20180213_122901_182s86.jpg[/url][/URL]
some damage with a brush
[url=http://abload.de/image.php?img=img_20180213_122535wwe4sn4.jpg][url]https://abload.de/img/img_20180213_122535wwe4sn4.jpg[/url][/URL]

/Unes

Looks amazing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A little update on the missing detail in the cockpit quadrant.

Missing part is from Tamiya 1/35 Panther A.

Stu

I happened to find this kit sitting in a store near by, and bought it (Come to think of it, it's pretty amazing that a 1975 kit (originally 1968) which contains the same parts used in the original filming miniature is still in production and is freshly in stock at a local model shop in 2018).

I measured the easily recognizable engine vents, and figured out that the Perfect Grade is very close to, if not exactly, 1:3.5 to the original 5 footer.

P2030821rs.jpgILM_modellers.jpg

Those boxes sitting in the shelves of the ILM model shop looks like the motorized edition of this kit, but the sprue containing the sledgehammer seems to be identical.
Then I took measurements of the sledgehammer, as below. The units are in millimeters.

P2030814rrs.jpgP2030815rrs.jpgP2030819rrs.jpg

I think it's probable that the ILM modellers didn't bother to cut the pins off the part when they attached it to the Falcon, thus making the bar float considerably from the panel, as well as making the part prone to falling off.
I used those measurements to replace the part which I originally made based on unclear photos under the assumption that it was a piping, not a kit-bashed part.

P2030811rs.jpg

Honestly, I wasn't very sure if this particular part of Panther A is truly the T-shaped detail on the cockpit quadrant, having never seen a clearly distinguishable close-up.
But after executing the replacement, I do feel the resemblance to what I see in the publicity shots. Thanks again to Stuart, and to the members who have shared valuable info.

DSC06209S.jpgDSC06211rs.jpg

Just for fun, I made a 1:3.5 model of the Panther A box, with respect to the fact that this is "a model of a model made from models," a phrase from this blog entry.

http://wivern.exblog.jp/27092610/

DSC06208rs.jpg

Attachments

• P2030821rs.jpg
    P2030821rs.jpg
    280.6 KB · Views: 267
  • ILM_modellers.jpg
    ILM_modellers.jpg
    541.7 KB · Views: 300
  • P2030814rrs.jpg
    P2030814rrs.jpg
    200.4 KB · Views: 249
  • P2030815rrs.jpg
    P2030815rrs.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 250
  • P2030819rrs.jpg
    P2030819rrs.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 234
  • P2030811rs.jpg
    P2030811rs.jpg
    281.4 KB · Views: 261
  • DSC06209S.jpg
    DSC06209S.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 261
  • DSC06211rs.jpg
    DSC06211rs.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 235
Last edited:

Thanks for that, Lab! Very interesting to see, and very kind of you to post your findings!

I have to admit I was wondering if the part was from the Tamiya 1:35 Tiger I after all, as its sledgehammer does seem to resemble the low-rez shots we have. But this does look great.

- nkg

Last edited:

A little update on the missing detail in the cockpit quadrant.

I happened to find this kit sitting in a store near by, and bought it (Come to think of it, it's pretty amazing that a 1975 kit (originally 1968) which contains the same parts used in the original filming miniature is still in production and is freshly in stock at a local model shop in 2018).

I measured the easily recognizable engine vents, and figured out that the Perfect Grade is very close to, if not exactly, 1:3.5 to the original 5 footer.

View attachment 795463View attachment 795464

Those boxes sitting in the shelves of the ILM model shop looks like the motorized edition of this kit, but the sprue containing the sledgehammer seems to be identical.
Then I took measurements of the sledgehammer, as below. The units are in millimeters.

View attachment 795465View attachment 795466View attachment 795467

I think it's probable that the ILM modellers didn't bother to cut the pins off the part when they attached it to the Falcon, thus making the bar float considerably from the panel, as well as making the part prone to falling off.
I used those measurements to replace the part which I originally made based on unclear photos under the assumption that it was a piping, not a kit-bashed part.

View attachment 795469

Honestly, I wasn't very sure if this particular part of Panther A is truly the T-shaped detail on the cockpit quadrant, having never seen a clearly distinguishable close-up.
But after executing the replacement, I do feel the resemblance to what I see in the publicity shots. Thanks again to Stuart, and to the members who have shared valuable info.

View attachment 795472View attachment 795473

Just for fun, I made a 1:3.5 model of the Panther A box, with respect to the fact that this is "a model of a model made from models," a phrase from this blog entry.

http://wivern.exblog.jp/27092610/

http://archive.a.la9.jp/DSC06208rs.jpg
You deserve a team beer, bro.

Actually I might have this old Panzer kit in my stash too.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

LOVE this stuff, Lab! Your part looks spot on. That you'd actually go out to buy the original kit is going above and beyond.

Where can a newbie find all these great Falcon shots and picks of the behind the scenes work?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Oh yeah, the stand is really nice D.S.! I want it :D
I´m done with my streaks. I made it with a fine brush, a steady hand and much patience.
(502 Abteilung Starship Filth and Dark Mud)

/Unes

that is fabulous!!! i’ve been streaking with brush too, and thought you’d all just laugh at me!!

Well- just a short iterruption.
My real name is Christoph and I am a new member since yesterday. I currently converting a FineMolds Falcon from 2007 (off Topic!) into the 5 footer as much as possible, that means as much my skills do allow this. This thread is an inexaustible pool of inspiration and knowledge which do help me a lot.
My deepest respect to all members here!

Well- just a short iterruption.
My real name is Christoph and I am a new member since yesterday. I currently converting a FineMolds Falcon from 2007 (off Topic!) into the 5 footer as much as possible, that means as much my skills do allow this. This thread is an inexaustible pool of inspiration and knowledge which do help me a lot.
My deepest respect to all members here!

Welcome Christoph! Converting the Fine Molds into a 5-footer is a big challenge -- I know, I tried it. How far along are you?

Anyone have Tamiya paint cross refrences to all the light grey panels on the falcon?

Not the base color (I used both AS-12 and a custom airbrush mix to great satisfaction) but the several different grey panel shades.

Yes, I do plan on doing my own experiments with airbrushed color swatches! But a starting point or bottle match recommendation would be a great starting point.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Hi everyone. New member here. I’ve been following this thread for quite a while but have just joined as I’ve finally ordered the PG Falcon. I feel like I have entered the realm of titans! I started building these Bandai kits last year and have fallen totally in love with them (will post some pics in the appropriate threads). I’m totally blown away by the dedication of the modellers here and have been inspired. I will have a practice run with the 1/144 first, but I’m really looking forward to joining you all in the journey of making the 1/72!
Cheers.[emoji846]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

If anyone is interested, I acquired a PG and I emailed Tony about working up some add on gear bays for it to convert to the ESB, as that is my thing. I had a set of the latest FUD gear bays for the MPC that I haven't used yet. Due to the size of the PG lower, it appeared that those same gear bays reworked slightly, will do the job for the PG. The size and contour was perfect for the PG lower, in fact I think the contour matches the PG better than the MPC, but it's likely that all the MPC's I've built, five, and the 6 left in the closet all suffer from the same warping that they all seem to have. Anyway... so if you're an ESB fan like myself, the add on boxes are in the works.
I wasn't going to even bother with the PG just because it was strictly ANH. Then I had a light bulb go on about Tony, since he's already done a few things for the PG, and he even worked up a few things for the MPC at my request. great dude that Tony is :thumbsup

I have the Haines Manual for "millennium Falcon" lots of neat things in it, info wise. If I recall correctly from what I read in there...the Falcon was roughly 50 to 60 yrs old when Solo acquired it, so by the time of TFA, the bird is close to the century mark. Not sure of the accuracy of the info in that book though.
Yeah & were the gear boxes were it exposes the maintenance pits

& perhaps she's not brand new....Lando has her pimped up

J

Something else I just noticed, too late for me of course...Amazon has these for 329.00 and free shipping

I got mine for $319 from Amazon with free shipping. The boss collected it from his girlfriends place in Oregon and bought it back to New Zealand in his luggage for me. All up $440 NZD which I think is a real bargain! No shipping and no tax! Win!

I’ve drooled all over the box and kit. Now to finish my house renovation so I can actually build the damn thing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back