Bandai 1/72 PG Millennium Falcon (also the Revell Germany rebox)

Re: Bandai 1/72 Millennium Falcon

Boy, I've only just started putting the decals on this kit and it's already hands down my least favorite part of this build. Small. So so small... :cry

31727690_10216786717199049_3583587657990537216_n.jpg

Boy, I've only just started putting the decals on this kit and it's already hands down my least favorite part of this build. Small. So so small... :cry

Wait till you start masking off those hundreds of tiny little rectangles scattered throughout the entire ship. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bandai 1/72 Millennium Falcon

So, starting about a week ago I began making a bunch of tweaks to my Falcon.
I wasnt very happy with the the amount of misting I had originally added. I felt I went just a bit too far and the colors were too dulled down. i also wasnt happy with the choice of red originally picked for the panels.

I went ahead and redid the medium grey panels for a stronger value, and redid all the red panels and replaced them with Vallejo Fire Red, and redid the chipping as well.
Also added some more grime on certain areas and tightened up some of the streaking.
And finally replaced the bulbs on my lighting setup for a more natural lighting rather than the warm lighting I had before.

21e3b7f074629746697107cc56cc7836.jpg

04b4b22005425d9871de6cab9da0dcde.jpg
a33c7e11288ce3d5da9a4b39103d9dfd.jpg
222716b0f6c92ce32b8b04e790fc81cf.jpg
5480ec8e0b04079c19af304e5e37f2b0.jpg
cb910d6b832b2956cd4684863b9dd231.jpg
2fc0fb3b6cbcbdd36c21fb7a07958104.jpg
62e293b2755e18c389f3a73fba953e5d.jpg
ea6c50c66470f7affdbf2f5b7547d385.jpg
c40bfacdb4a7ae70c0e8554ca9345ae4.jpg
747d7aad49195e6000f44c87831b50ba.jpg

Wait till you start masking off those hundreds of tiny little rectangles scattered throughout the entire ship. Lol

Did those. They were a pain, but somehow the decals are worse for me. With the rectangles, in some places I could get away with just using a really sharp pencil to leave a little dash or square. The decals involve cutting, soaking, placing, maneuvering, adjusting, readjusting, praying they don't get destroyed, cursing when they get destroyed, repeat 1000 times.

Did those. They were a pain, but somehow the decals are worse for me. With the rectangles, in some places I could get away with just using a really sharp pencil to leave a little dash or square. The decals involve cutting, soaking, placing, maneuvering, adjusting, readjusting, praying they don't get destroyed, cursing when they get destroyed, repeat 1000 times.

I guess thats the fun in putting these together. Or maybe just torture. Lol

I guess thats the fun in putting these together. Or maybe just torture. Lol

It's both. Mostly fun. I've been going through the same thing as you looking at the values and tones of the panels and streaks and making small adjustments here and there. The issue is that I look at the model under a variety of lighting conditions and compare it to reference photos of the original made under a variety of lighting conditions. The same panel can look different eight ways. I try to remind myself of my first impressions seeing the 5-footer in person for the first time and thinking, "It doesn't look right. It's so white!"

Bandai 1/72 Millennium Falcon

It's both. Mostly fun. I've been going through the same thing as you looking at the values and tones of the panels and streaks and making small adjustments here and there. The issue is that I look at the model under a variety of lighting conditions and compare it to reference photos of the original made under a variety of lighting conditions. The same panel can look different eight ways. I try to remind myself of my first impressions seeing the 5-footer in person for the first time and thinking, "It doesn't look right. It's so white!"

Yeah lighting plays a big part and can be a headache.

I recently changed the bulbs on my desklamps from warm to natural and it makes a world of difference.
The photos I took the first time with the warm lights made it seem like I dunked the Falcon in coffee.
Didnt really start noticing that until awhile after I took the pics too.

The flourescent kitchen lights are the worst. And thats where I do my airbrushing.

LOL, not me man...a stencil and a pencil is what I'm doing. I did it free-hand on my last MPC, I can clearly see where I started they look great, but where I got tire, they look like crap. Definitely the stencil on the PG...that's whenever I get to it that is :confused

I'm thinking this time I'll take a thin sheet of Evergreen, drill sets of slots the correct width and length, and I believe there were variations as well so several sets, then bend a little handle on one side to hold it with and use my 3mm mechanical pencil. I'd reckon that'll make it MUCH cleaner than the free-handed mess I ended up with on the MPC :facepalm
I definitely used a straight edge.

Man, that is amazing.. ! make the model even cooler, if that's even possible!
Where on earth do you put that speaker?

And how are people handling access to power?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Any Melbourne based modellers should check out Metro Hobbies May 4th sale.[emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Ahh, hold on...Han and Chewy installed the extra gear while ON Hoth...I think...my bad

- - - Updated - - -

That is a great shot though now that I can see it on my home device :thumbsup

Thanks!!! And yes from what we see in Empire, it appears those other gear boxes are installed while the Rebels are on the planet for awhile.

as big a fan I am of the ESB version...I can't believe I forgot that, duh :wacko But yeah, that's a stunning shot...in fact I think I'm gonna wallpaper that! ks!!! And yes from what we see in Empire, it appears those other gear boxes are installed while the Rebels are on the planet for awhile.[/QUOTE]

- - - Updated - - -

:lol LOL, just noticed this when I took a closer look...who's flying?

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back