Bandai 1/72 PG Millennium Falcon (also the Revell Germany rebox)

Re: Bandai 1/72 Millennium Falcon

Man, I hope the ILM team working on the Han Solo movie is being as diligent as the RPFers in spotting the differences between the 1977 version and how the model looked afterward. We know they already screwed the pooch using the bigger TESB cockpit set, but it would be nice if they catch all these small details only true obsessive freaks like us find! :lol

Well with the info that Bandai have dug up for this model,....imagine if ILM used their files to render a CG Falcon

J

Man, I hope the ILM team working on the Han Solo movie is being as diligent as the RPFers in spotting the differences between the 1977 version and how the model looked afterward. We know they already screwed the pooch using the bigger TESB cockpit set, but it would be nice if they catch all these small details only true obsessive freaks like us find! :lol

They will try to be as accurate as they can, I'm sure, but they have no need to be RPF accurate for their purposes. As long as 99.999% of the audience that doesn't care about such things says "Looks like the Millennium Falcon to me," then that's good enough for movie purposes. Especially on a model that will be whizzing by with motion blur, camera shake, etc.

They will try to be as accurate as they can, I'm sure, but they have no need to be RPF accurate for their purposes. As long as 99.999% of the audience that doesn't care about such things says "Looks like the Millennium Falcon to me," then that's good enough for movie purposes. Especially on a model that will be whizzing by with motion blur, camera shake, etc.

Half of the general audience would see a pic of a Y-Wing and say "That's the Enterprise from Star Wars!" :lol

I think the people doing the Han Solo movie are as big a bunch of geeks as any bunch of RPFers, so I think they will be as accurate as they can be; plus they will have to back-date the Falcon, so it will be less "used" looking. As we've seen in the "pre-release" thread, they are even going for a back-dated paint scheme.

I've done similar. Brass is an option, but styrene is easier since you can use plastic cement. And Evergreen rods come in very tiny sizes.

On that mesh part you mentioned before, I had a piece of screen from an electric shaver that I was gonna make it with for my MPC build I started in the 90s and never finished. Thin metal foil with tiny round holes in the perfect pattern and size. I bet it'll work for the Bandai.

I was wondering if you could modify a PE cover for that thingy that looks like a fire extinguisher in the cockpit of a BF-109 as a substitute.

Don't get me wrong, this is the definitive Falcon model, but I would have to say making it roughly the same size as the Empire Falcon at 1/43 scale would make it the holy grail for me. I would give away my whole collection for that!

Okay, so I couldn't let robn1's challenge go unmet. :D Decided to modify part D16 by scratching the thin triangular section Bandai molded as a solid piece. Used the smallest diameter rod I could find at the bottom of my spare stock box and came up with this. I admit it, he was right. It looks great. Pretty easy too. Thanks for the push, man!
IMG_8563.jpgIMG_8564.jpgIMG_8568.jpgSidewall detail.png

It's not near your level of precision, Keiko, but it'll do. :cheers

BTW, for anyone keeping score, I've sent three tiny pieces to the Bermuda carpet zone so far but recovered all three (combined search time about 20 minutes). For those just starting this kit, take your time and maybe have a piece of tape handy to grab pieces as you remove them from the sprues.

Last edited:

It's not near your level of precision, Keiko, but it'll do. :cheers

BTW, for anyone keeping score, I've sent three tiny pieces to the Bermuda carpet zone so far but recovered all three (combined search time about 20 minutes). For those just starting this kit, take your time and maybe have a piece of tape handy to grab pieces as you remove them from the sprues.
Lol, I was so careful about dropping any. I dropped one on the ground during the whole build and found it right away.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Okay, so I couldn't let robn1's challenge go unmet. :D Decided to modify part D16 by scratching the thin triangular section Bandai molded as a solid piece. Used the smallest diameter rod I could find at the bottom of my spare stock box and came up with this. I admit it, he was right. It looks great. Pretty easy too. Thanks for the push, man!
View attachment 774960View attachment 774961View attachment 774962View attachment 774963

Dang you! Now I won't be able to look at that part and not see that flaw! Now I will have to try and scratchbuild that part! Man... We are totally obsessed with absolute accuracy here aren't we?

I swear to god I'm running out of excuses to check in at the front desk. At this point I'm sure the secretary is going to report me for harassment....
Our receptionist asked me this morning to see the kit as he's as big a geek about this as we are. I hadn't opened it yet so it was an Also Sprach Zarathustra moment as we looked over the pieces.
Stunning. Just stunning.

Our receptionist asked me this morning to see the kit as he's as big a geek about this as we are. I hadn't opened it yet so it was an Also Sprach Zarathustra moment as we looked over the pieces.
Stunning. Just stunning.
God lord I'm getting impatient...

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Dang you! Now I won't be able to look at that part and not see that flaw! Now I will have to try and scratchbuild that part! Man... We are totally obsessed with absolute accuracy here aren't we?

I know, right? I was ready to let it go -- even had D16 in place on the sidewall -- then rob1n had to shame me. :p It's a pretty easy mod. I laid out two longer (1" roughly) pieces of .10 rod in a narrow V shape on the sticky side of a piece of low tack tape. I then put a couple very small dabs of liquid weld down before laying down the vertical cross pieces. Let that cure for a couple hours, trimmed the lengths, and carefully removed from the tape. Once I had D16 back in place, I put another drop of glue where the V connects to the sidewall just to hold it tight.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back