Bandai 1/72 PG Millennium Falcon (also the Revell Germany rebox)

Re: Bandai 1/72 Millennium Falcon

BTW, one of the first things I plan to do once I finish my PG Falcon is to take a picture and Photoshop it into the original MPC box art. And thus a 40 year quest will be fulfilled!
MPC 1-1925 MelFalc.JPG

I've actually toyed with this idea! I've also thought it would be fun to make a diorama of this 'behind the scenes' scene using the Bandai 1/350 Falcon as the "prop" being filmed. The only thing holding me back is the amount of putty needed to make realistic looking bell bottoms. :lol
View attachment 770935

Someone’s already done that with the Death Star hangar filming set —it’s brilliant.

https://instagram.com/p/BZ0mGKhHnRI/

https://instagram.com/p/BZO0ydLHGta/

And many more on that account.

I appreciate the people going for the filming miniature replica, but I will be happy using the out of the box build which represents the combination of scale model and full size cockpit interior.

I tend to prefer "as seen on screen" looks rather than a replica of a model in both the build and the painting

But that is my personal preference and not a knock on anyone elses'

Someone’s already done that with the Death Star hangar filming set —it’s brilliant.

https://instagram.com/p/BZ0mGKhHnRI/

https://instagram.com/p/BZO0ydLHGta/

And many more on that account.

That's so great! For me, a big part of my Star Wars love is how the movies were made. Even as a kid, I was into the behind the scenes stuff even more so than the fantasy of the story itself. Back then, it was my dream to step onto the shooting stage and see the ILM models up close (still is). The Bandai PG MF is really the closest I'll ever come to holding the 5-footer in my hands. So, for me, I want THAT model. The ILM model. The inaccuracies will only add to my enjoyment.

why would you want an inaccurate cockpit compared to the movie set?

The original reason I made this cockpit is because people on this thread (or maybe another one) were talking about recreating the studio model cockpit for the PG falcon, and I had an idea of how I could make it, which ended up working out.

But the reason I'm personally going to use the studio cockpit in my model (besides because of the effort I put in to making it) is because I've poured over reference images of the five foot falcon, and as I did this, I became fond of the studio cockpit. It just fits the model well. But one thing about the PG falcon that bugs me is how the cockpit bandai provides is far more intricate and detailed than anything on the exterior of the model. The ILM miniatures may not have faithful cockpits, but the details are scaled appropriately. I want this to look as close to the ILM miniature as possible. People may like the millennium falcon in general, but once you start researching it, the five footer and 32 incher might as well be two entirely different ships.

The original reason I made this cockpit is because people on this thread (or maybe another one) were talking about recreating the studio model cockpit for the PG falcon, and I had an idea of how I could make it, which ended up working out.

But the reason I'm personally going to use the studio cockpit in my model (besides because of the effort I put in to making it) is because I've poured over reference images of the five foot falcon, and as I did this, I became fond of the studio cockpit. It just fits the model well. But one thing about the PG falcon that bugs me is how the cockpit bandai provides is far more intricate and detailed than anything on the exterior of the model. The ILM miniatures may not have faithful cockpits, but the details are scaled appropriately. I want this to look as close to the ILM miniature as possible. People may like the millennium falcon in general, but once you start researching it, the five footer and 32 incher might as well be two entirely different ships.

AGREED! My build will be of the 5' Filming miniature.

You've certainly done an amazing job replicating the interior

I'm really looking forward to seeing everyone's version of this. Some will nail the paint job, others will add motorized ramps, while some of us will agonize over every rivet to make it look like the studio model. I look forward to stealing MANY ideas!

If the thing EVER GETS HERE!!!! :cry

The 5ft ILM model is the Falcon. The full size set is inaccurate :p

Personally if I were to model the full size cockpit I would prefer the ESB version, it just seems more complete and functional. That's why I had the idea to make the cockpit interiors interchangeable so I could display either the ILM or full size versions, depending on my mood.

Update from Steve at CultTVManShop-

November 3: Bandai Millenium Falcon update. We have good news, we have bad news. First the good news. We expect to have kits around November 15. Now the bad news. Our distributor did not receive the number of kits they were expecting. They have been told that more will be available later. I will be contacting everyone who has placed a preorder and paid a deposit. Please be patient. At this time we are suspending preorders for this kit.

[EDIT]
Link to the source- http://www.culttvmanshop.com/

Last edited by a moderator:

All good points. I think for me, in order to feel like I'm completely looking at the 5ft miniature, I have to have an interior like the one on the original/your design. Is that back panel on your design a decal or painted on? Seems it would be really hard to paint that accurately at that small scale.

JoeCS, I applaud your creation of a movie accurate cockpit interior! This is definitely the way I intend to do my build.

Although, looking at the side-by-side cockpit photos, I'm starting to think the model could use a 3D printed canopy window frame scaled from the 5 footer. The styrene kit part in the kit looks to "thick" to me now.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back