Bandai 1/72 PG Millennium Falcon (also the Revell Germany rebox)

Re: Bandai 1/72 Millennium Falcon

iBB7Qga.jpg

Sorry to ask a stupid question but will this come pre-painted like the beautiful USS Enterprise models that Bandai produced with lights etc? I have no skills to paint this up to a standard that I'd be happy with but if it's pre-painted well, I might be tempted
There are several 1/144 falcon builds where they simply used the decals and weathered over top of it. It's not my style but they look amazing

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

That glitch does look odd. Maybe it was an error in the display prototype. It's visible in video footage people have been posting from the show.

But this photo here, from the Bandai promo collection for the 1:72 model, seems to show a pretty round pit there.

18740532_1770369089646074_3430456108217602154_n.jpg

It appears we're looking at two different models, the weird pit is on the toy show model but not on the one in Bandai's preview pics. They also have differences in their painted details. The show model may be a test shot or maybe it had a poorly cast part for the mandible top. In any case I'm sure the kit will be fine.

One thing I'm really happy to see with this. I felt that the transmissions on the mandible sides and the nubby connectors to the mandible tops were undersized on the 1/144.

This one looks perfecr

One thing I'm really happy to see with this. I felt that the transmissions on the mandible sides and the nubby connectors to the mandible tops were undersized on the 1/144.

This one looks perfecr

What are your thoughts on the mandible side wall height? I'm still trying to decide. When I compare to the overall composition to the rest of the body as compared to pictures of the 5ft they look a little on thick side to me. Time will tell and I'm withholding final judgement until when I can compare it without looking at photos with possible lens distortion due to focal length. Don't get me wrong it's a beautiful model and I already preordered one.

I am so excited to get this. Pre order placed and anxiously awaiting!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

What are your thoughts on the mandible side wall height? I'm still trying to decide. When I compare to the overall composition to the rest of the body as compared to pictures of the 5ft they look a little on thick side to me. Time will tell and I'm withholding final judgement until when I can compare it without looking at photos with possible lens distortion due to focal length. Don't get me wrong it's a beautiful model and I already preordered one.
I like them. I always felt that the 1/144 mandible sidewalls were too short (in order to get the nice little lip from the saucer section.

When I look at the lucasfilm archives, the mandible sidewalls were kinda chunky.

If I have one shape criticism it's that once again, the radar dish looks a tad small. If I recall, it is supposed to be the exact same diameter as the cockpit tunnel

Oh man....I really hope they don't have the coloured panels as separate pieces.

Doubtful based on their 1/144 Falcon. It really doesn't make sense on this kit.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I am very happy with what I'm seeing so far. I'm pretty sure the community will have superdetailing photoetch parts for these within a year. My one main dear hope (but one that I'm not expecting) is replication of the Koolshade on the cockpit tunnel ring -- either as a clear part or as a slitted overlay to slide over before the cockpit is attached. Since there's lighting, I am hoping this includes the ANH-appropriate running/landing lights. Since I'm one of those holding out for an ESB version, replicating the Koolshade would be the only way to authentically do the two red cockpit-tube marker lights.

--Jonah

I am very happy with what I'm seeing so far. I'm pretty sure the community will have superdetailing photoetch parts for these within a year. My one main dear hope (but one that I'm not expecting) is replication of the Koolshade on the cockpit tunnel ring -- either as a clear part or as a slitted overlay to slide over before the cockpit is attached. Since there's lighting, I am hoping this includes the ANH-appropriate running/landing lights. Since I'm one of those holding out for an ESB version, replicating the Koolshade would be the only way to authentically do the two red cockpit-tube marker lights.

--Jonah

No landing lights or running lights on the ANH Falcon.....the 2 red lights on the cockpit tube were on the ESB full size set only, not on the scale models

J

--Jonah

My photoetch kit has the Koolshade strip included in it, and it's long enough that in theory it would wrap around the (presumably) slightly larger Bandai cockpit. No idea how the rest of my sheet will hold up against the Bandai Falcon though...I may design a new Bandai specific one when the kit is properly released.

https://www.hhminiatures.co.uk/shop/mpcertl-millennium-falcon-photoetch-sheet

Last edited by a moderator:

Crap. I'm so torn.

Just the other week I gave up waiting for a 1:72 Bandai, and bought all 100 parts for the De Agostini Falcon. And this announcement hits!

De Ago pluses:
- fun to detail up the cockpit and hold, and make it go from toy to model
- impressively big
- I own it now
- I like the ESB ship in terms of hull lighting

De Ago negatives:
- It's too damn big. It's frickin' huge.
- I actually don't like the 32" Falcon. I much prefer the 5 footer
- I'm likely going to be moving, and the sheer size is a hassle
- The quality of the molding simply isn't up to Bandai standards

Bandai 1:72 pluses
- Very convenient size
- It's likely going to be totally perfect in terms of molding quality and accuracy
- It's the beautiful 5 footer

Bandai 1:72 negatives
- May be a hassle to get hold of
- I like the ANH design, but it wouldn't be right to stick ESB external lights on it
- No fun toys like the hold details
- The accuracy actually means less fun work fixing up the problems!

And I really don't want to have two huge Falcon models in the house. So I have to decide which way to go at some point.

What do you think?

And I really don't want to have two huge Falcon models in the house. So I have to decide which way to go at some point.

What do you think?

Sell the DeAgo, buy the Bandai. You won't be fixing problems on the Bandai, but getting the paint right will more than offer a challenge. Bandai, Bandai, Bandai. No question.

I can't wait to have a falcon with that photo etched ring around the cockpit.

That's my favorite bit on the ANH falcon

I'm going to have to get it... Maybe... I'm still going to do Haystack's upgrade kit on my MPC Falcon... I have some shapeways parts already painted and ready to install... This would be a dream build kit, but I may have to set aspirations higher... Like a scratch built 1/48...

But who am I kidding? I'll be getting this kit this year...lol

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back