Subscribe
    From
    Northern Ireland
    2 Days Ago  Nov 16, 2017, 7:12 PM - Re: Bandai 1/72 Millennium Falcon #2126

kokkari said: View Post
    Hope you didn't think I was trying to insinuate that you didn't have permission mate. Just noticed they looked different and better.

I really like his stand too.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    No....just so you can judge the CC as accurate to the artist

J
    2 Days Ago  Nov 16, 2017, 7:13 PM - Re: Bandai 1/72 Millennium Falcon #2127

Love the bird, love the stand. Very classy.
    2 Days Ago  Nov 16, 2017, 9:53 PM - Re: Bandai 1/72 Millennium Falcon #2128

So I have a small concern. I am looking at the pipes in the white box. They seem to be just like the ones on the Bandai Ywing. I had terrible luck for some reason breaking those bastards clipping them off the sprue. I cut to close the pipe snaps. Cut to far away the nub is likely to break pipe when you go in for cut 2 or with a blade.

Tips here other than get some sharp cutters.
  4. Member Since
    Aug 2017
    2 Days Ago  Nov 17, 2017, 2:05 AM - Re: Bandai 1/72 Millennium Falcon #2129

akumazeto said: View Post
    So I have a small concern. I am looking at the pipes in the white box. They seem to be just like the ones on the Bandai Ywing. I had terrible luck for some reason breaking those bastards clipping them off the sprue. I cut to close the pipe snaps. Cut to far away the nub is likely to break pipe when you go in for cut 2 or with a blade.

Tips here other than get some sharp cutters.
    The clipper shall apply some twisting force to the thin parts when the blades go in. You shall be able to see this twist as you 'clip', because those thin pipes shall start to bend when you do. When the parts are bent too much, they shall break.
    The tip is to 'clip" very slowly. As soon as you see the pipe starting to bend, rotate the clipper in the opposite direction to counter the twist.
    Of course, a fine clipper shall be greatly beneficial.
    This way, I was able to complete the assembly without breaking a single pipe.
    From
    Jamison, Pennsylvania
    1 Day Ago  Nov 17, 2017, 11:57 AM - Re: Bandai 1/72 Millennium Falcon #2130

In some cases, it also seems to make a difference which part you snip first. If a pipe for example, is connected on both ends and also has a connector in the middle of it, I will clip off the connector for the middle part so when I cut the ends it is less prone to break

Hard to explain, hope that makes sense
  6. Member Since
    Mar 2007
    1 Day Ago  Nov 17, 2017, 12:42 PM - Re: Bandai 1/72 Millennium Falcon #2131

Also, I've found that if you cut vertically then the force doesn't start twisting, though it leaves more material you have to clean off. If you can get the clippers at the same angle as the sprue gate then it's fine but usually you won't be able to get them in there.
    From
    Peoria, AZ, USA
    1 Day Ago  Nov 17, 2017, 1:42 PM - Re: Bandai 1/72 Millennium Falcon #2132

I've only broken one tiny pipe so far, but my main issue is getting the teensy posts into the tiny holes!
  8. Member Since
    Jun 2010
    From
    Toronto
    1 Day Ago  Nov 17, 2017, 2:18 PM - Re: Bandai 1/72 Millennium Falcon #2133

Love this thread. I'm keenly taking notes while awaiting mine. Are you guys all completing the assembly for painting later? And is the bare plastic color a good candidate for a no-basepaint, just-wash/weather build? Forgot who it was that did that to his 1/144 that turned out fantastic.
    1 Day Ago  Nov 17, 2017, 2:42 PM - Re: Bandai 1/72 Millennium Falcon #2134

crackerjazz said: View Post
    Love this thread. I'm keenly taking notes while awaiting mine. Are you guys all completing the assembly for painting later? And is the bare plastic color a good candidate for a no-basepaint, just-wash/weather build? Forgot who it was that did that to his 1/144 that turned out fantastic.
    Paint, always! If your painting skills are in question, you won't go wrong with using the Tamiya spray paint.

I just started mine, finishing up the cockpit as a sub-assembly. Landing gear and gun bays will likely get the same treatment before main assembly than the topcoat and weathering. I plan to paint most the major panels (reds, greys, yellows).

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
  10. Member Since
    Aug 2012
    1 Day Ago  Nov 17, 2017, 3:00 PM - Re: Bandai 1/72 Millennium Falcon #2135

Sourdoh said: View Post
    ...but my main issue is getting the teensy posts into the tiny holes!
    From
    Peoria, AZ, USA
    1 Day Ago  Nov 17, 2017, 3:45 PM - Re: Bandai 1/72 Millennium Falcon #2136

I knew that was coming! So to speak, no pun intended ...
    From
    Jamison, Pennsylvania
    1 Day Ago  Nov 17, 2017, 5:03 PM - Re: Bandai 1/72 Millennium Falcon #2137

For those who might be afraid to paint it, yes, I think the plastic color is a great "base coat" color. Just matte varnish it and go to town weathering.

I've actually been wrestling with that choice myself

I haven't been brave enough to try it with my Star Wars models yet, but I have done it with the Bandai 1/1000 Yamato stuff.

I had no problems using just Citadel Matte Varnish, White, Black, Burnt and Raw Umber Oil paints thinned with Weber Oderless Turpenoid and pastels (ok the tiny fighters were painted)

1 Day Ago  Nov 17, 2017, 6:30 PM - Re: Bandai 1/72 Millennium Falcon #2138

I'm a believer in paint....but I've seen some amazing work by people who don't
  14. Member Since
    Dec 2015
    1 Day Ago  Nov 17, 2017, 7:59 PM - Re: Bandai 1/72 Millennium Falcon #2139

I agree with blakeh1 on the color of the PG Falcon as well as for the Bandai 1/144 scaled version. I sprayed a very light base coat on the 1/144 scale and then weathered to my liking. I was concerned that with such small detail that i would lose some of that detail and open myself up to some problems with the added weathering and final base coat (globing). Again, this is just a personal preference as I have seen some absolutely incredible paint work by others in this forum. I plan on doing the same for the PG.
  15. Member Since
    Aug 2012
    1 Day Ago  Nov 17, 2017, 10:50 PM - Re: Bandai 1/72 Millennium Falcon #2140

Kingramos1 said: View Post
    I was concerned that with such small detail that i would lose some of that detail and open myself up to some problems with the added weathering and final base coat (globing).
    Unless you are using poor quality paint (Testors) this shouldn't be a concern. Any good model paint is designed to not obscure detail. Tamiya, Vallejo, Mr. Color and MRP are the best out there. I primed the 1/350 Falcon with Stynylrez black, then painted it white. There was no loss of any detail. All the bolts, vents, etc retained their detail. As long as you aren't flooding the surface, model paint skin should be thinner than the human eye can detect, and thus not a concern of filling in detail.
    From
    California
    1 Day Ago  Nov 17, 2017, 11:00 PM - Re: Bandai 1/72 Millennium Falcon #2141

JoeCS said: View Post
    I separated the front half and back half of Bandai's cockpit interior with a coping saw so that it can be easily swapped out

Attachment 772378
    Attachment 772379
    Just so I'm clear, the cockpits can be swapped out by just pulling off the canopy? Or do you need to pull the two halves apart?

1 Day Ago  Nov 17, 2017, 11:09 PM - Re: Bandai 1/72 Millennium Falcon #2142

DanielB said: View Post
    As long as you aren't flooding the surface, model paint skin should be thinner than the human eye can detect, and thus not a concern of filling in detail.
    And honestly I've done some pretty serious flooding on test pieces with both Vallejo and Tamiya just to get a feel for what I could get away with. These paints are extremely self-leveling and I really can't see them obscuring even the smallest detail when sprayed in any reasonable way. Same goes for the Tamiya rattle cans, which I used for years.

I HAVE seen some great models done by weathering right over the plastic, of course, but there's really no need to worry about ruining details with paint.
  18. Member Since
    Aug 2015
    1 Day Ago  Nov 17, 2017, 11:10 PM - Re: Bandai 1/72 Millennium Falcon #2143

kokkari said: View Post
    Just so I'm clear, the cockpits can be swapped out by just pulling off the canopy? Or do you need to pull the two halves apart?

Just by pulling off the canopy. The back half of the set interior will remain inside the cockpit tunnel regardless of which cockpit interior sits beneath the canopy cover.

I basically just pressed the saw against the front edges of the side walls and carefully sawed straight down (hopefully that makes sense, you can kind of imagine it from the image -- I could also post another image showing exactly what I did). It really does not change the aesthetic of the set interior.
    Last edited by JoeCS; 1 Day Ago at 11:18 PM.
  19. Member Since
    Aug 2012
    1 Day Ago  Nov 18, 2017, 12:11 AM - Re: Bandai 1/72 Millennium Falcon #2144

Murph said: View Post
    I HAVE seen some great models done by weathering right over the plastic, of course, but there's really no need to worry about ruining details with paint.
    I haven't. Plastic is translucent, and thus betrays it's nature as plastic without a paint job. The translucency itself can make detail appear soft that would otherwise be sharp under primer/paint.
  20. Member Since
    Jun 2010
    From
    Toronto
    1 Day Ago  Nov 18, 2017, 2:32 AM - Re: Bandai 1/72 Millennium Falcon #2145

I haven't. Plastic is translucent, and thus betrays it's nature as plastic without a paint job. The translucency itself can make detail appear soft that would otherwise be sharp under primer/paint.
    Oops, yes you're right. Very good point. And internal lighting would bleed through. Forgot all about those.
    19 Hours Ago  Nov 18, 2017, 9:44 AM - Re: Bandai 1/72 Millennium Falcon #2146

I mean I really have seen some stuff done that way that I think looks good. The examples blakeh1 posted above look good. I'd probably never do it myself. For me the whole point of buying a model IS to paint it, that's the fun part!
    19 Hours Ago  Nov 18, 2017, 10:21 AM - Re: Bandai 1/72 Millennium Falcon #2147

This

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    12 Hours Ago  Nov 18, 2017, 4:40 PM - Re: Bandai 1/72 Millennium Falcon #2148

Paint question for the experts. Is Polly Scale Reefer White a reasonable equivalent, color-wise, to Floquil Reefer White? I've got a bottle and I'm holding it against the PG sprues and it looks pretty damn close.

Also, I found a rattle can of actual Floquil Reefer White enamel. If I decanted that, would I be looking at the same paint ILM used on the original?