Bandai 1/72 PG Millennium Falcon (also the Revell Germany rebox)

Re: Bandai 1/72 Millennium Falcon

Finally! The Falcon model I wanted after standing in line to see "STAR WARS" In the summer of 1977!!! I remember being so disappointed when I received my first MPC Falcon...I foolishly expected the box to contain what I saw on the beautiful box lid!

Never liked the FM kit...Built a dozen or so and hated the profile.

Wait, there's a 3-landing gear version of the Falcon? :confused

I was wondering why some of the pictures on the Bandai site looked so strange....

millenniumfalcon_72_1_13.jpg millenniumfalcon_72_1_18.jpg

I gotta say, the 5-landing gear version looks much better in my opinion.

I remember being so disappointed when I received my first MPC Falcon...I foolishly expected the box to contain what I saw on the beautiful box lid!

Never liked the FM kit...Built a dozen or so and hated the profile.

Same here. The box art photo on the first MPC kit was sooooooo beautiful and promising. The moment the lid opened, however... really? How many of us spent the next 40 years trying to chop, twist, and detail our kits in a vain effort to make a Falcon that looks like the one on that box lid?

Someone should pinch me to make sure I'm not dreaming...
16482037255_51a28e2749_k.jpg

Wait, there's a 3-landing gear version of the Falcon? :confused

I was wondering why some of the pictures on the Bandai site looked so strange....

View attachment 733290 View attachment 733291

I gotta say, the 5-landing gear version looks much better in my opinion.

Everyone is entitled to their own taste, but its worth noting that after the Pirate Ship design was demoted to the Blockade Runner,...& they went for the Millennium Falcon design,...she always had the 3 gear configuration, thats what was signed off, from sketches to paintings, to model design, then to set design.

Only then did they have problems with the Full Size Set.....so solutions needed to be made,...& with TESB,....the Falcon FSS would feature more prominently,....they couldn't hide the support in that movie,....so mods to the design were made

I hated it......I fell in love with the ship I saw originally

But over time I've grown to accept it.....still prefer the sleeker 3 gear though

Hopefully for the new Han Solo movie they pay attention to how she should look before the modification was made between Star Wars & Empire

J

Yes! I toil over the original design to real world practicality all the time. Lately I've sided with the real world practicality of the weight of that ship would never be supported by that one front gear, case in point the full size set, but there something really iconic and true to the design of the original 3 legged beast.

I have no preference between 3 gear boxes or 5, I like them both, so this kit is 100% perfect to me. I pre-ordered from USA Gundamn and received an email that said...

"Hello Daniel,

I just wanted to take a second to thank you for your business, and your recent purchase from my store. We are a family run business and we wanted to thank you for your order with us. If you have any questions or if there is anything else I can help you with, please reach out to me without hesitation. Your order will ship shortly.

Thank you again."

Now, "Your order will ship shortly" could mean anything, and I doubt they have them in stock at the moment, so "shortly" might be a month or two.

Last edited by a moderator:

Yes! I toil over the original design to real world practicality all the time. Lately I've sided with the real world practicality of the weight of that ship would never be supported by that one front gear, case in point the full size set, but there something really iconic and true to the design of the original 3 legged beast.

No offense, but I never understood that train of thought...in the real world the ship could never fly! Also, the interior sets didn't match up to the miniature. It's a movie vehicle, a pretend vehicle.

No offense, but I never understood that train of thought...in the real world the ship could never fly! Also, the interior sets didn't match up to the miniature. It's a movie vehicle, a pretend vehicle.

Normally I think the same way you do unless it's utterly ridiculous or silly. That's where I draw my line. Each to his own I guess.

Remember that in the Galaxy Far Far Away repulsorlift technology can suspend everything from a landspeeder to an entire star destroyer over a city within an atmosphere for an indefinite amount of time. The Falcon has landing gear, but it's not hard to imagine it also has a passive repulsor unit somewhere to help keep it supported. Maybe Han siphons some of the power from it to juice up the main engines or something. Point is, the physics in Star Wars work however the plot needs them to work!

Brilliant! That's definitely what it is.
Remember that in the Galaxy Far Far Away repulsorlift technology can suspend everything from a landspeeder to an entire star destroyer over a city within an atmosphere for an indefinite amount of time. The Falcon has landing gear, but it's not hard to imagine it also has a passive repulsor unit somewhere to help keep it supported. Maybe Han siphons some of the power from it to juice up the main engines or something. Point is, the physics in Star Wars work however the plot needs them to work!

Will the additional landing gear bays be included in the kit?

It's more than just adding on the additional gear boxes. The entire front half of the bottom saucer would need to be replaced to account for the change in position of the maintenance bays. ILM also added numerous spotlights to the 5-footer. star-wars5-movie-screencaps.com-5168.jpg

Plot armor!!

Sorry to ask a stupid question but will this come pre-painted like the beautiful USS Enterprise models that Bandai produced with lights etc? I have no skills to paint this up to a standard that I'd be happy with but if it's pre-painted well, I might be tempted

Sorry to ask a stupid question but will this come pre-painted like the beautiful USS Enterprise models that Bandai produced with lights etc? I have no skills to paint this up to a standard that I'd be happy with but if it's pre-painted well, I might be tempted

Bandai usually produce model kits (especially their gunpla (Gundam Plastic) models) with various colored parts, so painting would be unnecessary for the most part. With reference to most of the Star Wars kits they've released so far, it would seem that that would be the case here as well. The 1/144 scale Slave I was colored, as was the 1/48 scale X-Wing fighter. However, the 1/144 scale Millennium Falcon was cast only in white plastic all around. They only had the stand in sand yellow (this could arguably be because the Falcon is for the most part only a single base color whereas other ships are multi-colored). The smaller models were also single color kits if I'm not mistaken. Not sure about the 1/72 scale kits.

Guess we'll have to wait and see when more information is available, or when someone gets the kit and reveals all.

Be warned though, even if they have colored parts, you're still gonna have to weather it yourself if you want a fairly movie accurate model.

Oh man....I really hope they don't have the coloured panels as separate pieces.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back