Bandai 1/72 PG Millennium Falcon (also the Revell Germany rebox)

Re: Bandai 1/72 Millennium Falcon

Dunno, I’ve been following a couple of builds online (1 in particular by a very reputable modeller), and it seems there are some gaps that can be improved by using liquid cement or mr surfacer in certain parts. I still don’t have it in my hands so can’t say first hand, but I always use tamiya fine cement in my other Bandai builds.

I know the modeller and I know the gaps you refer to - I'm not up to that stage yet but a test fit of the two cockpit halves shows minimal gaps at this stage.
Of course, that may all change when the rear wall is put in... I use Tamiya Fine Cement too - even where I don't need to!

By the by, this is also the version that appeared in Blue Harvest, and since I guess they only had one 3D model, it was also used in Something Something Darkside and It's a Trap!

So someone should whip up some Family Guy figures. And a couch.

No, it really doesn't. Culttvman price is $339 US plus $80 shipping to Australia/New Zealand = $536.91 AUD

If Culttvman still expect to get their kits in December then the $600 might be worth it to get it earlier as from what I’ve been told they’ll possibly be in by the end of the month.

While I doubt the exchange rate will rapidly change before the end of the year $600 AUD is still cheaper than the $400 USD rrp.

No, it really doesn't. Culttvman price is $339 US plus $80 shipping to Australia/New Zealand = $536.91 AUD

There’s also custom charges to consider when buying from abroad. In the UK it’s an outrageous 20-25% on top of everything.

20% sort of falls into line in what i'm expecting to be charged when mine is delivered, whenever that may be, I'm not in a hurry. I have no experience in Bandai kits at all, in fact I haven't built anything in years, but this kit has me interested again. I remember my dad helping me to build the old mpc mf with lights and stuff, way back when ;)

A little update on the engine lighting mod that I have been doing.
Lights emitted by LEDs tend to have a "spiky" spectrum, which is difficult to capture in photographs but makes your eyes feel a noticeable LED-ishness.
White LEDs tend to have a slight violet tint, which is also present in the kit engine LEDs (the kit's landing gear and cockpit light LEDs are whiter).

By replacing and adding the engine LEDs, the tint was virtually washed away by the brightness, but the LED-ishness was still noticeable.
So I experimented with several LED filters that are used in studio lighting, and decided to implement this to several of the LEDs.

https://www.pnta.com/lighting/gels/lee/lee-filters-cl132-cool-led-medium-blue/

P2030517rs.jpg

This had the effect of reducing the LED-ishness and adding azure-blue tint.

P2030451rs.jpg

I have always felt that blue LEDs do not give the desirable effect for the Falcon's engine lights (to my taste).
They just seem to look like blue LED lights, not blue emission from a jet exhaust.

Its difficult to convey in photos, but by using filters, I think I have got it close enough to my liking.

P2030529rs.jpg

Can you give more details on how and what you replaced the LED's with? I'm completely unexperienced with electronics but I'd love to replace the engine lights. The ones that come with it seem to be lacking in power.

Can you give more details on how and what you replaced the LED's with? I'm completely unexperienced with electronics but I'd love to replace the engine lights. The ones that come with it seem to be lacking in power.

I have posted the details on page 50 of this thread (posts #1235 and #1248).

Last edited:

Ahhh. Something _I_ know a little bit about. Whenever I get to that point, maybe I can contribute on the subject of emission spectra, transmission spectra, and so on. As every light source will have its own unique profile. And I really do want my model to give off the right kind of radiation... ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

A little update on the engine lighting mod that I have been doing.
Lights emitted by LEDs tend to have a "spiky" spectrum, which is difficult to capture in photographs but makes your eyes feel a noticeable LED-ishness.
White LEDs tend to have a slight violet tint, which is also present in the kit engine LEDs (the kit's landing gear and cockpit light LEDs are whiter).

By replacing and adding the engine LEDs, the tint was virtually washed away by the brightness, but the LED-ishness was still noticeable.
So I experimented with several LED filters that are used in studio lighting, and decided to implement this to several of the LEDs.

https://www.pnta.com/lighting/gels/lee/lee-filters-cl132-cool-led-medium-blue/

View attachment 763491

This had the effect of reducing the LED-ishness and adding azure-blue tint.

View attachment 763492

I have always felt that blue LEDs do not give the desirable effect for the Falcon's engine lights (to my taste).
They just seem to look like blue LED lights, not blue emission from a jet exhaust.

Its difficult to convey in photos, but by using filters, I think I have got it close enough to my liking.

View attachment 763493

I wonder if the lights are picking up the tint of the white plastic. Maybe if you painted the grills a flat white the hue would disappear further?

I wonder if the lights are picking up the tint of the white plastic. Maybe if you painted the grills a flat white the hue would disappear further?

I don't think the plastic has much to do with the tint of the lights. I painted the inner side of the grills with silver to ensure light sealing and to disperse as much light as possible.

Filters designed for LED spectra - ingenious solution!

Anyone know what ILM used for the engine lighting on the original 5-footer behind the translucent curved panel? I'm planning to use LEDs, of course, but I'm just curious whether it was florescent, neon tube...?

I don't think there were any lights in the engine for the original. Just a white strip of plastic. The glow was animated.

I don't think there were any lights in the engine for the original. Just a white strip of plastic. The glow was animated.

I think we need confirmation on that, because back in the day most models had internal lighting and the camera crew would make a lighting pass where they'd photograph the model with the internal lights on but the external lighting off and then combine the two in the optical printer. I also believe the six engine fans were to help remove the heat from the internal lighting. Jaitea? Anyone?

So is it total RPF folklore then that the engine vents were functional in order to cool the engine lighting? I always assumed that there were engine lights. Didn't the Bandai crew that examined the model say that they were white lights?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Bandai said the engine lights in the film were white. That is, as you see them in the film. They said nothing about the model being lit. I seem to remember that the engine glow was rotoscoped in.

Bandai said the engine lights in the film were white. That is, as you see them in the film. They said nothing about the model being lit. I seem to remember that the engine glow was rotoscoped in.

Rotoscoping was undoubtedly used, especially in TESB and ROTJ, but remember that ANH was a relatively low budget film. They tried to do a lot of stuff in-camera, including the lightsabers (using rotating rods painted with reflective paint). In this photo, for example, you can see light reflecting on the inner surface of the engine. I'm fairly positive that isn't rotoscoping.
star-wars4-movie-screencaps.com-11109.jpg

It's clear that at least two of the models were lit internally. Whether they used the lights in each shot I don't know, but it'd be to key the animation of the flickering glow around the engines, which were rotoscoped in manually.

phat.jpgteeny.jpg

I'm pretty sure you could assume Bandai was referring to lights as much as you could assume they were talking about rotoscoping. By that logic I could also say they said nothing about rotoscoping.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back