Bandai 1/72 PG Millennium Falcon (also the Revell Germany rebox)

Re: Bandai 1/72 Millennium Falcon

I think it's more a matter of figures not being Bandai's thing. The ships are great, but the figures are very simplified and mannequin like. I've seen much better figures made decades ago.
I find it weird they didn't include more figures. How about some stormtroopers and figures in standing position?

Bandai no longer includes standing figures in any of their kits. It's all about their licensing agreement with Disney and perceived competition with another company's larger-scale figure products.

Here's the problem with that video. It looks like it was shot with a slightly fish-eye lens, distorting the apparent shape and size. And if I've learned anything from the flat Earth people, slightly fish-eye lenses and spacecraft prove that the Earth isn't round and NASA has never been to space. So what that means, unfortunately, is that the Falcon's hull curvature on the kit is FLAT AND A HUGE NASA LIE!!! IT'S A CONSPIRACY, PEOPLE, USE YOUR BRAINS!!!!

:devil:cheers

I think it's more a matter of figures not being Bandai's thing.

Bandai may not be a familiar name in many countries, but they are not a small model maker like Finemolds, whose main business is to produce niche-oriented products to have a bite from Tamiya's market. Bandai is the largest toy company in Japan, more in the likes of Mattel with a plastic model division. Their model products were characterized by their ease of build as well as their "play values," oriented to the widest market. So it was more bandai-like had they made interiors together with figures with poses resembling memorable scenes for a de-lux Falcon model. They could have easily done that had they the intent and the license. Actually, that was the approach they took with the 1:48 X-Wing, with motorized wings and electronic engine sounds.

It was quite unusual for them to take such a niche-oriented approach, winking more to hardcore enthusiasts of kitbashed elements of filming miniatures rather than the much wider Star Wars audience, in their ads about this kit.

I plan to use salt technique in painting/weathering mine. I will use salt from the tears of the Fine Molds speculators as they watch the value of their hording drop.
"Hording"?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Well, it is 1/72, so it would be the same size as another 1/72 kit. I don't know why many expect a larger Falcon. They get points for excellent boxing.

The size has been announced previously: 48 cm, that is about 19 inches long, that makes it the largest falcon at 1/72 scale (MPC/AMT/ERTL is 18 1/4" long and Revell easy kit is 14" long).

Last edited:

Well, it is 1/72, so it would be the same size as another 1/72 kit. I don't know why many expect a larger Falcon. They get points for excellent boxing.

Not every kit of the same vehicle in the same nominal scale is actually the same size. It depends entirely on what reference material the manufacturer is using, and Lucasfilm has changed the official canonical dimensions of Star Wars ships over time to try to make them more consistent. So you get X and Y wings from Fine Molds that are larger than their Bandai equivalents, but the Fine Molds Falcons are smaller than the Bandai Falcons.

There's a long thread on here about the scale of the A-Wing, and how the 1:72 Bandai A-Wing actually works out really closely to 1:48th if you prefer the smaller A-Wing of the ROTJ era (Lucasfilm changed the canonical size of the A-Wing making it significantly bigger).

This is interesting, for those theorizing about ESB editions.

https://twitter.com/messiah102/status/905318446111395841

Based on the evidence, I'd say the theory is pretty strong. There's no functional reason to leave notches in the mandible inner structure leading to the end caps unless there's a plan to put something there in the future. At the very least Bandai is leaving themselves the option of an ESB edition. Unless the PG sales are completely underwhelming, or the world economy suddenly collapses (and honestly the latter is more likely), the odds of an ESB edition are very good.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back