Bandai 1/72 PG Millennium Falcon (also the Revell Germany rebox)

Re: Bandai 1/72 Millennium Falcon

Brian from HLJ is correct.

This isn't a kit, just a display model. More of a proof of concept, which bandai does all the time.

I dare say it's 3D printed also.

...some more nice pics:

jt-38651777.1_38659845_-_10_06_2016_-_pixtoyshow.jpg

Millenium-Falcon-2016-International-Tokyo-Toy-Show.jpg

J

Oooh! I think I just P'ed a little... no, wait that is drool...

;^P

Sometimes I feel as a fish on a line...
R/ Robert

If you squint, you can see the TIE Interceptor in the background (in the top photo).

Looking at the starboard docking ring in the last photo posted, a not-so-nice corner on the armour plate where the plate´s edge/the panel line changes direction is visible. I think this flattened corner is designed to allow for the docking ring part to be extracted from an injection mold (and that´s the reason why the plates were simplified on the FM kit). So this model is a step further than "look what we can do with a 3D printer", but they already incorporated features to guarantee this thing can be injection molded.

At least that´s my theory. ;)

This probs comes out as a pretty lame question, but apart from the dish what else is different between the OT and the TFA Falcon? I was thinking of getting the 1/144 Bandai as it's available and takes up a lot less space on the shelf than the Finemolds (if I ever find an affordable one), but I might wait for this if it's a lot trickier than just replacing the dish.

This probs comes out as a pretty lame question, but apart from the dish what else is different between the OT and the TFA Falcon? I was thinking of getting the 1/144 Bandai as it's available and takes up a lot less space on the shelf than the Finemolds (if I ever find an affordable one), but I might wait for this if it's a lot trickier than just replacing the dish.

Not a stupid question at all! The biggest difference, besides the dish, is the sidewall detail. Where the port side saucer meets the mandible, there is bulky detail present on both the 5' and the 32" model that was severely understated on the TFA digital model. They added pipe work all over the sidewalls also. The engines were also given a new look. I *think* I covered most of it.

Last edited:

Not a stupid question at all! The biggest difference, besides the dish, is the sidewall detail. Where the port side saucer meets the mandible, there is bulky detail present on both the 5' and the 32" model that was severely understated on the TFA digital model. They added pipe work all over the sidewalls also. The engines were also given a new look. I *think* I covered most of it.
That's the one element that I hope returns. Those Porsche transmissions are like the muscles of the falcon. The TFA falcon really lacked that

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

That's the one element that I hope returns. Those Porsche transmissions are like the muscles of the falcon. The TFA falcon really lacked that

It would be a wonderful asset to have accurate 5' sidewalls 3D printed for the Bandai 1/144. It seems like a no brainer to me.

I am so excited by this possibility. Not to mention my keenness at 4-Triangles looking accurate to references I've seen in these photos. That makes me believe they have keen modelers helping steer the development.

If this is just a one-off display, then the outline for the extra gear boxes confuses me even more. Leaving it like that so they can specifically display a ANH ship because that is what they chose, why have those stupid lines/ridges? Don't get me wrong, on an actual model that is intended to give modelers options, I think it's a bad way to do that. But for a one-off display? More perplexing.

It looks like many of the parts are sized up from the 1/144. The pipes into the maintenance wells, the rods that attach the docking rings, the big gap around the race-car bits on the mandibles... and other big gaps... Plus see how the detailed pipework on the mandible walls are missing but look like they should attach in the same way. Cool concept but personally I think Bandai would take this a bit further fro a production model. Still nice though!

Thanks, I know which part you mean and I'm pretty surprised I didn't spot the lack of it. Then again I haven't actually studied the TFA model, only saw the movie a couple of times. I did spot some pipe stuff but wasn't really sure, again, only had the movie so far.

Yea it's really prominent part which makes it strange that I didn't spot the lack of it. I thought I read it was the gearbox of some truck model, but upon Googling it it indeed is a Porsche gearbox.

Heres a link to my Bandai 1/144 thread,.....theres some details there about the differences there

http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=246235

J

Thanks, I'll go through it. Would really like an OT Falcon mostly coz I prefer the round dish but don't want to end up with a hybrid one. The gearbox part might even be scratchbuilt, but gotta check on the piping.

It looks like many of the parts are sized up from the 1/144. The pipes into the maintenance wells, the rods that attach the docking rings, the big gap around the race-car bits on the mandibles... and other big gaps... Plus see how the detailed pipework on the mandible walls are missing but look like they should attach in the same way. Cool concept but personally I think Bandai would take this a bit further fro a production model. Still nice though!

A lot of details are updated though, mainly on the engine deck. If Bandai does go forward with this I hope they do it similar to how Finemolds did, with most of the greebles as separate parts. At least make the piping separate like on the Y-Wing kit.

It looks like its the same basic file that was used to create the 1/144.....the details are exactly the same (incorrect) on the cockpit walkway.....the 2 access bays at the rear quarter have mirrored paneling,.....the same as the 1/144,....they should be slightly different,.....the starboard one is correct,....I hope someone took a picture of the portside mandibles....that will tell us that it IS exactly the same as the file they got for TFA model......which would mean this model's file is the Battlefront version

J

Part of me is wondering if the radar dish for this thing was ripped off a fine molds 1/72

Part of me is wondering if the radar dish for this thing was ripped off a fine molds 1/72

Realize that the FM dish is too small and the Bandai 72nd MF would be even larger than the FM one, considering the difference in size of the 144th scale kits. So that would make the FM dish look extra extra small on Bandai. To me, it does not look small in that way.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back