Bandai 1/72 PG Millennium Falcon (also the Revell Germany rebox)

Re: Bandai 1/72 Millennium Falcon

The scale of the MPC is also about the same. And why go to the trouble to obtain a foreign made kit when the US made kit is readily available in every drug store? Besides the Takara kit was different, and the pics that have been seen from ILM look just like the MPC.

The auction site says its a revell though.
Which revell came out during that time thats close to a 1/72 scale?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The auction site says its a revell though.
Which revell came out during that time thats close to a 1/72 scale?

You mean the Propstore video from a few days ago? That's the approximate 1/48 MPC, I built several of them back in the day and I recognize it right off. No idea why they would say it's Revell. Maybe Revell/Germany reboxed them for Europe at one time so that's the name they're familiar with. But it's definitely MPC I have no doubt of that. Compare the Revell/Takara engines here http://www.starwarsmodels.com/xwingrt.html to the engines in the Propstore video, they're quite different.

You mean the Propstore video from a few days ago? That's the approximate 1/48 MPC, I built several of them back in the day and I recognize it right off. No idea why they would say it's Revell. Maybe Revell/Germany reboxed them for Europe at one time so that's the name they're familiar with. But it's definitely MPC I have no doubt of that. Compare the Revell/Takara engines here http://www.starwarsmodels.com/xwingrt.html to the engines in the Propstore video, they're quite different.

Hmmm.

It looks much smaller than a 1/48 scale.

Looks just slightly bigger than a Bandai X wing

Maybe its just me.

So, how many here pour over the Bandai Hobby site page descriptions and Youtube promo videos concerning this Model kit and then take glances back and forth at your equally Expensive, finished Fine Molds 1/72 scale Millennium Falcon and think - "I really want that new Bandai model...but is there Really enough differences between the two to build this ship...one more time?". I realize that such a thing is totally up to the individual, yet I can't be the only one pondering this.

Last edited:

I also would like to address this observation - I can walk into Hobby Lobby and pick up (which I have, actually) a Bandai 1/72 scale Rouge One X-wing Bundle kit for $30.00....See where I am Going with that.....Yeah, yeah, yeah - "Perfect Grade", I know, I know.

OK, So forgive me if this has already been asked in this thread, as I have not (and don't currently posses the discipline to) read the entire thread. So, how many here pour over the Bandai Hobby site page descriptions and Youtube promo videos and take glances back and forth at your Expensive, finished Fine Molds 1/72 scale Millennium Falcon and think - "I really want that new Bandai model...but is there Really enough differences between the two to build this ship...one more time?". I realize that such a thing is totally up to the individual, yet I can't be the only one pondering this.
I think you answered your own question. It depends on the individual, what you like, and level of accuracy you are willing to accept. I personally built a 1/72 FM a few years back and could not stand looking at it because the front end was all wrong. I ended up selling it. This Bandai model is the first time ever a model has accurately been made to reflect the 5ft model. The 5ft is the original and many consider the definitive Falcon that appeared in ANH. The Fine Molds was modeled after the 32 inch in regard to it's shape and detail. I personally can't wait to have an accurate representation of the 5ft model. If you don't know the differences between the two Falcon studio models then it probably may not matter to you if you get this model.

Actually, Kokkari, I would say I've researched the differences between the two as much as anyone here, no need for you to be an arrogant snob about it.

I also would like to address this observation - I can walk into Hobby Lobby and pick up (which I have, actually) a Bandai 1/72 scale Rouge One X-wing Bundle kit for $30.00....See where I am Going with that.....Yeah, yeah, yeah - "Perfect Grade", I know, I know.

I might be being somewhat obtuse here, but I'm not quite sure what point you're making here mate.

OK, So forgive me if this has already been asked in this thread, as I have not (and don't currently posses the discipline to) read the entire thread. So, how many here pour over the Bandai Hobby site page descriptions and Youtube promo videos and take glances back and forth at your Expensive, finished Fine Molds 1/72 scale Millennium Falcon and think - "I really want that new Bandai model...but is there Really enough differences between the two to build this ship...one more time?". I realize that such a thing is totally up to the individual, yet I can't be the only one pondering this.

Well, although the FM is a magnificent kit with fantastic details & a massive price, it does have considerable differences to the forthcoming Bandai 1/72 Falcon.....they both claim to be 1/72,.but using the official size of what the Falcon is meant to be (34.74m),...the Bandai works out exactly 1/72.....model length 480mm.....(the wee 1/144 also is correct at 240mm),...but both the Finemolds models are undersized....the 1/72 works out at roughly 430mm....which is really 1/80

So really the Bandai is a bigger model than the FM.....not only in lengh/width,....the bandai is based on the original 5 foot model made for ANH,...the FM is based on the smaller 32" model made for ESB,..primarily to get shots of a lighter more dynamic Falcon for the asteroid chase....there is some differences between the 2 filming models dimensionally, the main thing is that the 5 footer is fuller & fatter than the flatter 32"......but to make matters worse FM got their measurements wrong & made their model even flatter,....she works out around 10mm flatter than what she should be....this miscalculation has a knock on effect on key areas of the model,....the docking rings are too tubular, the cockpit tube is the wrong angle,....the mandibles are too straight, the jawbox is too wide,...the dish is too small

The Bandai looks pretty much perfect,...at last we have the ultimate kit

J

Actually, Kokkari, I would say I've researched the differences between the two as much as anyone here, no need for you to be an arrogant snob about it.
Yikes! That was not my intent. I was not trying to point you out individually. I meant to say it as a general observation to those who might not know the differences. The differences between the models seem obvious IMO. I can see how that came across wrong. Please forgive me and STAND DOWN SOLDIER.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Is the Bandai falcon really only 480mm/18.9" in length? It looked much larger in all the pics.

Yep 482mm...it's likely all the fine detail that gives it the illusion of a larger model

At 482mm, it's still a pretty huge kit.....larger than the MPC

J

It was mostly the images from when the prototype was on display where it looked kinda large in front of the people that were around it, but I guess that was just the perspective with it being in the foreground. That is a good size and the detail and accuracy are superb. With it's practical size and relative affordability compared to the other high end falcon offerings, I can definitely see this being a holy grail item for a lot of us falcon nuts. :)

Bandai 1/72 Millennium Falcon

Ugggh... I know as soon As I get it i'm gonna be like - "why the hell did I buy this thing?"

Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back