Bandai 1/72 PG Millennium Falcon (also the Revell Germany rebox)

Re: Bandai 1/72 Millennium Falcon

SOLD - only seeing 1 sidewall 1/2 decently. Even if the sidewalls are not 100% accurate I'm sure Tony will hook me up if needed :).

And I think I need about 1000 of those DS tiles to do my basement :cool

Also if they are doing this one - how long do you think it will be until they put out a TFA "upgrade" package with the TFA sidewalls and Dish... seems like a no-brainer.

Jedi Dade

Okay, that underside landing gear box looks as if it simply slides up or something. I hope not. The last thing I would want is for the 32" landing gear boxes to be flush against the hull.

If they REALLY wanted to do this right, then those entire quadrants would be swapable.

I agree. If the 3-gear configuration ends up looking like this prototype -- with the imprint of the ESB gear boxes visible and the hull plating all wonky -- then it's a big sacrifice in accuracy for the option of adaptability. I don't see how they can offer a 3 or 5-gear option without making both front hull quadrants as separate pieces.

I agree. If the 3-gear configuration ends up looking like this prototype -- with the imprint of the ESB gear boxes visible and the hull plating all wonky -- then it's a big sacrifice in accuracy for the option of adaptability. I don't see how they can offer a 3 or 5-gear option without making both front hull quadrants as separate pieces.

The 5 footer was retrofitted with landing gear boxes for TESB (and reused for ROTJ). I don't see why that same retrofit cannot be made for a 1/72 model of the same subject that would be 100% accurate? What are we discussing here? Sure if they made the gear boxes as the 32" it would look dumb... but why couldn't they make them as the 5 footer just as easily? I'm confused what we're discussing here?

Jedi Dade

That's whats making me think this has more of a chance of gettig a release,....by seeing that ANH & the seam for the ESB gear box.....thats a bit more forward thinking than just a display piece

J

Never-mind I went and looked closer at the pics - I see what you're getting at. My guess at this point is this is just the prototype... Those hull sections need to be consistent with the rest of the hull plating

My guess is that this is a prototype and somebody goofed and this was the quick repair. I think they'll fix it - they'd be Crazy not to.

Jedi Dade

The 5 footer was retrofitted with landing gear boxes for TESB (and reused for ROTJ). I don't see why that same retrofit cannot be made for a 1/72 model of the same subject that would be 100% accurate? What are we discussing here? Sure if they made the gear boxes as the 32" it would look dumb... but why couldn't they make them as the 5 footer just as easily? I'm confused what we're discussing here?

Jedi Dade

I think you're seeing it now. The 5-footer was altered for ESB, but the hull plating was significantly changed due to not only the gear boxes, but the holes exposing the maintenance bays. They also added the array of red landing lights (each with a piece of hull plate) to better match the live-action set. So making a true conversion from the ANH version to the ESB version is going to involve a few more steps than just snapping on the new gear boxes.

i think we need to remember that there has never been an accurate model of the Falcon without heavy modification.....apart from the current Bandai one.....this prototype looks like it would need minimum effort

J

This is literally the first thing I saw this morning. A friend sent me the pics in the middle of the night. I could have, honestly, cared less that they never produced the AT-AT and am not too concerned about the Star Destroyer. This, on the other hand, would be the ultimate Star Wars model for me. I might just take it personal if it never sees production.

Never-mind I went and looked closer at the pics - I see what you're getting at. My guess at this point is this is just the prototype... Those hull sections need to be consistent with the rest of the hull plating

My guess is that this is a prototype and somebody goofed and this was the quick repair. I think they'll fix it - they'd be Crazy not to.

Jedi Dade

It looks to me that it includes parts for ANH and ESB. The display model seems to have the ANH hull plates and the ESB service bay, leaving an empty space where the ANH bay should be. Maybe an error in assembly or the parts weren't all available.

I will always build with extra front gear boxes, but I would feel bad for those ANH modelers if this comes out with a 3-D watermark of missing gearboxes.

Wait, are those Y-wings in 48th scale? I assumed 72nd scale to go with the MF, but if they are 48th scale than that might suggest....
I'm sure that they're 1/72, but that by no means suggests that a 1/48 Y-wing isn't coming.

OMG I HAVE to have this! The 1/144 was amazing, this is going to be incredible and finally we can display it with our other 1/72 ships!

i think we need to remember that there has never been an accurate model of the Falcon without heavy modification.....apart from the current Bandai one.....this prototype looks like it would need minimum effort

J

Exactly! Sometimes it baffles me, some of the things I read. Lest we forget, the only thing remotely resembling Ep IV in this scale in the last 40 years has been the MPC. I think I could live with the Bandai kit's "short comings".

I'm keen to see what the engines are like......& the exhaust grilles

This would be my grail kit

J

I'm keen to see what the engines are like......& the exhaust grilles

This would be my grail kit

J

It would be really nice if this kit came with a cockpit that was ready for lighting, maybe even a photoetch set. Imagine buying a Millennium Falcon model and having to pick up absolutely zero aftermarket parts for it.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back