Bandai 1/72 PG Millennium Falcon (also the Revell Germany rebox)

Re: Bandai 1/72 Millennium Falcon

Well my PG Falcon arrived yesterday....absolutely beautiful

roughly £400.....£289 for the model from US,...they post with Global Shipping Programme which was £110, which includes postage, Tax & customs charge

...& it was pretty quick

....BUT I've got other projects on the go at the minute,....so it will be a while till I start her,....I just wanted to get it because I was worried that the future release would be of lesser quality

J

I suspect the Falcon takes a pounding by the end of the film, precipitating many of the modifications we all know and love. If the filmmakers are smart (and lately that's been a questionable assumption...), the Falcon will take some major damage to the lower hull and in some closing scene we'll see Han making repairs and leaving the extra gear boxes off. At least then it will justify the way the Falcon looks in ANH and, hey, later we can just imagine Han thinking, "Those were a good idea after all. I think I'll put those back on." :rolleyes

There has to be much more, then just a pounding to go all the way down to the ANH-Falcon (what for sure we will no see completely in "SOLO"). The Sensor-Dish is the easiest changeable piece to get "rid off" but the 5-gear-appearance is harder to explain. If you look closely to the trailer, the surfaces of the falcon not only look "smoother", the Gun-Turrets and the Top-cases of the entry-ramp and the port-side seem to look "sunken" in the surface.
So it seems for me (if they don't want to crack any record of continuity-failures), that there is a massive amount of cover-panels all over the falcon "underneath" - like a double-shielding. Maybe Lando is also a "good car-salesman" and put on a lot of "plastic-coverings" to make her look better, added a little color here and there and cleaned her up like a trader of used cars would do... At the moment it looks like the could fill an entire movie that only shows han an chewie stripping panels from the falcon, like in the Car-pimping-tv-shows...

Alone to get to the ANH-madibles looks like a lot of work, not only a crash can change the ship so much...

Who really cares? I just hope it's a decent film..

Who really cares?! Dude, this is a modeling forum! If there's any people in the world who are going to care about this particular subject it's going to be us! :lol:cheers

It's true though. If the film is good, cosmetic changes to the Falcon can be explained and justified in people's head canon. If the film sucks, every flaw and continuity error will be magnified to extreme and absurd proportions.

- - - Updated - - -

Well my PG Falcon arrived yesterday....absolutely beautiful

Congrats! If there's any kit in the world worth the money, it's this one. When you get to the point of cutting pieces off sprues, let us know. I'm working on a list of suggestions/tips based on things I'd do differently that might be worth noting (and then rejecting)! :cheers

@Hunk a Junk ,
Really beautiful paint and weathering work . Congratulations .
Was wondering , are you still planning to use the provided decals for the ship - the smaller detailed markings ? Asking cause , I’m not 100% sure on when/what stage they should be applied when finishing a model . Some suggest after base coat / coloured panels , others - prior to final clear coat !?

:cheersGed

I found this photo of the 5-footer that I think clearly shows ILM added many of the smaller detail decals after the weathering was complete. This might be helpful.
FalconGuts6comp copy 2.jpg

I was wondering if they were doing to the Falcon in the Solo movie what they did to the Y-Wing in the Clone Wars series...
Or...
That's not the Millennium Falcon we're seeing.

Last edited by a moderator:

I was wondering if they were doing to the Falcon in the Solo movie what they did to the Y-Wing in the Clone Wars series...
Or...
That's not the Millennium Falcon we're seeing.

I guess, you can exclude the thought, that this ship is not the falcon; but at the other hand, it would be nice seeing han and chewie ripping the ship down for some reason (maybe to get her lighter an faster for the Kessel-run?!?) in some scenes, like:

"Hey, Chewie, rip of the cover-panels above the armour-plating, these things are heavy and only there to hide the pipings... don't need this mumbo-jumbo... I'm in need of a fast an manouverable ship, not a yacht of a fancy guy... We need to get her faster an lighter, and when the weight is down, we could even get rid of a part of the front gear... Ah, just rip of anything, that is not needed for flying or fighting...."

I guess, you can exclude the thought, that this ship is not the falcon; but at the other hand, it would be nice seeing han and chewie ripping the ship down for some reason (maybe to get her lighter an faster for the Kessel-run?!?) in some scenes, like:

"Hey, Chewie, rip of the cover-panels above the armour-plating, these things are heavy and only there to hide the pipings... don't need this mumbo-jumbo... I'm in need of a fast an manouverable ship, not a yacht of a fancy guy... We need to get her faster an lighter, and when the weight is down, we could even get rid of a part of the front gear... Ah, just rip of anything, that is not needed for flying or fighting...."

Well in that trailer you can see that Han dings the Falcon a couple of times.....flying like that I could see that bodywork getting wrecked pretty quick

Screen Shot 2018-02-06 at 09.18.51.png
Screen Shot 2018-02-06 at 09.18.59.png

Screen Shot 2018-02-06 at 09.23.01.png
Screen Shot 2018-02-06 at 09.23.16.png

J

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-02-06 at 09.19.49.png
    Screen Shot 2018-02-06 at 09.19.49.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 162
  • Screen Shot 2018-02-06 at 09.19.13.png
    Screen Shot 2018-02-06 at 09.19.13.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 161

Well, if the Falcon is supposed to be new in this movie, then it goes against Lucas’s original concept that the Falcon is 100 years old, to say nothing about the novel written about the Falcon to fit Lucas’s age intent. But of course, the extended universe is now considered garbage.

Mark

There's a significant chunk of the fan base that would consider this a good thing (for some reason). I'm not one of them.

Apparently so, and I’m nor one of them either. Actually, the only eu story I didn’t really care for was the killing off of Chewie. But the story lines of the Disney movies has no problem killing off characters right and left. Heck, they even killed off darn near everyone in R1.

It’s bad enough that they extended the mandibles and jaws to make the ship look goofy, with no apparent logical advantage other than an extremely obvious nod to Lando’s comment “Hey, what have you done to my ship?“, but when I saw the trailer showing pristine white corridor padding inside what I assumed was the Falcon, I became nauseated. Maybe there’s going to be a scene where Han puts a $#!+ load of UV lamps aimed at all the padding to give them that 100 year old, distressed look. And I’m sure that in true Disney fashion, they will never explain why Han would do such a thing.

The extra front landing gear boxes is another thing. Personally, I thought they should have been there all along, given what I have determined as a structurally unsound single front landing leg, but O.K., that is not the evolution we saw in the original trilogy. But to add these boxes to a prequel only to see them gone in ANH is ridiculous. Maybe they’ll provide an explanation…yeah, just like the explanation we got for the rotatable gun turret in TFA which would rupture something internally.

Sorry about the rant. This probably belongs in a different thread, but I saw others discussing the disturbing Falcon elements from the trailer, so I put it here.

Mark

Well, if the Falcon is supposed to be new in this movie, then it goes against Lucas’s original concept that the Falcon is 100 years old, to say nothing about the novel written about the Falcon to fit Lucas’s age intent. But of course, the extended universe is now considered garbage.

Mark
Who is this Lucas guy anyway? What does he even know about starwars?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Apparently so, and I’m nor one of them either. Actually, the only eu story I didn’t really care for was the killing off of Chewie. But the story lines of the Disney movies has no problem killing off characters right and left. Heck, they even killed off darn near everyone in R1.

It’s bad enough that they extended the mandibles and jaws to make the ship look goofy, with no apparent logical advantage other than an extremely obvious nod to Lando’s comment “Hey, what have you done to my ship?“, but when I saw the trailer showing pristine white corridor padding inside what I assumed was the Falcon, I became nauseated. Maybe there’s going to be a scene where Han puts a $#!+ load of UV lamps aimed at all the padding to give them that 100 year old, distressed look. And I’m sure that in true Disney fashion, they will never explain why Han would do such a thing.

The extra front landing gear boxes is another thing. Personally, I thought they should have been there all along, given what I have determined as a structurally unsound single front landing leg, but O.K., that is not the evolution we saw in the original trilogy. But to add these boxes to a prequel only to see them gone in ANH is ridiculous. Maybe they’ll provide an explanation…yeah, just like the explanation we got for the rotatable gun turret in TFA which would rupture something internally.

Sorry about the rant. This probably belongs in a different thread, but I saw others discussing the disturbing Falcon elements from the trailer, so I put it here.

Mark

But Landon says that in response to,Han saying they need repairs- he hasn't even seen the ship right? Just that his baby might have been damaged. I don't know...

Apparently so, and I’m nor one of them either. Actually, the only eu story I didn’t really care for was the killing off of Chewie

Against my better judgement, I will say that Lucas didn’t really consider the EU to be part of his universe’s canon.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back