Bandai 1/72 PG Millennium Falcon (also the Revell Germany rebox)

Re: Bandai 1/72 Millennium Falcon

A very noob question but Bandai's kits are pre painted and easy-ish to assemble correct? I'd love to own an almost studio scale Falcon.
The parts for most of the ships come molded in the correct color. For example an X-Wing kit has mostly greyish parts with some red parts for the side stripes and decals and stickers for the rest of the markings. You could assemble those with no paint in a short period of time and have a decent looking ship. It would not look weathered though. For a TIE fighter that may not be bad, but it probably wouldn't look right for an x-wing. I suggest watching some review videos on YouTube for whichever kit you are interested in.

The 1/72 Falcon will most likely be a more serious model and require quite a bit more assembly and painting.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

They're not pre-painted, but they are very easy to assemble and it should be mentioned the detail in their kits is amazing :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You could make a very nice falcon without properly painting it. Just use the decals, chip some of them, put on a clearcom and then weather away!

One suggestion...don't darken panel lines. It always looks terrible on star wars models

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

The parts for most of the ships come molded in the correct color. For example an X-Wing kit has mostly greyish parts with some red parts for the side stripes and decals and stickers for the rest of the markings. You could assemble those with no paint in a short period of time and have a decent looking ship. It would not look weathered though. For a TIE fighter that may not be bad, but it probably wouldn't look right for an x-wing. I suggest watching some review videos on YouTube for whichever kit you are interested in.

The 1/72 Falcon will most likely be a more serious model and require quite a bit more assembly and painting.

Thanks for the input ! I have zero model making skills so I doubt I could put this together successfully

Thanks for the input ! I have zero model making skills so I doubt I could put this together successfully
I don't think the 1/72 Falcon would be a good first kit to build. Although there hasn't been much as far as details of the kit released yet.

Bandai has a 1/144 Falcon kit. Watch some videos for that. Odds are the 1/72 will be a much more involved build than the 1/144.

If you do try this as your first model, here are my tips.

#1 spend a year on it.
#2 don't look at anyone elses work as your source material. Look at them for inspiration and tips, but spend your nights looking at pics of the studio model. (Pinnousse did an amazing falcon without painting it. It was just decals and weathering. Be inspired by his process)
#3 plan out your steps. I would be happy to help you with that.
#4 the most important thing, at the end of the day is the weather. People remember your streaking. Practice and use tape as a guideline.
#5 no panel lines!!!!

If you do try this as your first model, here are my tips.

#1 spend a year on it.
#2 don't look at anyone elses work as your source material. Look at them for inspiration and tips, but spend your nights looking at pics of the studio model. (Pinnousse did an amazing falcon without painting it. It was just decals and weathering. Be inspired by his process)
#3 plan out your steps. I would be happy to help you with that.
#4 the most important thing, at the end of the day is the weather. People remember your streaking. Practice and use tape as a guideline.
#5 no panel lines!!!!

I am an old - and I do mean old - model builder. I built perhaps hundreds of kits when I was young - and I do mean young - and so once had some skills; can't really remember what they were, but _something_ must have been working... Reading the discussion of paint-work alone makes me realize I'd need to retire, comfortably, in order to have any chance of working at the level people have achieved here.

Nevertheless, I have always longed to get back into it, and the idea of building a truly great Falcon just might be the inspiration I needed to make that happen. The Diagostini first captured my imagination. But it seemed like the end, not the beginning. I would need to practice up, a lot, before attempting that. Then the Bandai 1/77 came up. Still, from reading discussions of people's 1/44 builds, even that seems a bit much. I see myself subscribing to the Diag, and building some lesser kits until I get all the parts, and my skills together. Then maybe the Bandai will be out and Incan take a stab at that. And then, someday, after all the parts are in; the Diag. Assuming I don't do like that SNL skit and just leave all the parts untouched in the boxes; displayed lovingly on a shelving unit much to the disgust of my teenage son... ;-)

Anyway, gotta start somewhere. And that somewhere is always research. So, any references you guys could share to help me get educated BEFORE I start spending money like water would be much appreciated. What do I read, what do I watch, to learn how to do all the magic I'm reading discussed on these boards? Building, painting, weathering?

Thanks in advance.

I can't wait to build the Bandai 1/72nd scale kit. It's the one I've been waiting for because it's the original version and I'm more excited about it than the DeAgo. I like trying to replicate the look of the ILM filming models so I tend to stick to the techniques they used. My solution to the Bandai-solvent-cracking issue is to not use solvents. It is my understanding that they didn't use oils for washes and weathering at ILM. They stuck with acrylics for speed. They didn't have time to wait for oils to dry. And when you look at the models up close they don't have the fine gradations you get with oils. They're actually pretty crude. I tried to replicate that on a recent FM 1/48th scale Snowspeeder. The acrylic washes leave tidemarks just like the studio model.
MRX Speeder Final-9.jpg

As for the color of the 5 footer, I have a question for kokkari, in that great shot of the 5 footer did you compensate for the green tint of the display case glass? I found that to be the trickiest part of color correcting my 5 footer shots. I also used a flash which over-powers the terrible display lighting, but had to figure out a way to remove the green of the glass. I used a correction based on a photo of a different object in the exhibit where I knew the subject was a clean white (the photo of a snowy landscape in the miniature Taun Taun exhibit) and applied that correction to the Falcon pix, making the assumption that the glass was the same for both cases. I feel pretty good about my photos being as neutral as possible.

Front Top Left 04.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Someone needs to photograph the 5 footer with a colour reference chart next to the glass, then shoot the chart through two layers of whatever glass they use for the display cabinets. :)

Of course it'd be awesome to see the two main ILM Falcons photographed side by side, ideally with studio lighting conditions and flash units of a known colour temperature. I suspect we all agree that the 32" seems grungier and yellower than the 5 footer, and that it's not entirely an artefact of the optical processes used in Star Wars versus Empire.

As for the color of the 5 footer, I have a question for @kokkari, in that great shot of the 5 footer did you compensate for the green tint of the display case glass? I found that to be the trickiest part of color correcting my 5 footer shots. I also used a flash which over-powers the terrible display lighting, but had to figure out a way to remove the green of the glass. I used a correction based on a photo of a different object in the exhibit where I knew the subject was a clean white (the photo of a snowy landscape in the miniature Taun Taun exhibit) and applied that correction to the Falcon pix, making the assumption that the glass was the same for both cases. I feel pretty good about my photos being as neutral as possible.

View attachment 735817
It's been a while since I took the photo, but I do remember doing a slight correction when I edited the photo. There was a plaque inside the case that had a white backing that I used as my white balance and went from there. That being said I think your photo looks better

So is the 5-footer the one that has all the autographs hidden on it? Think they'll be included in the decal sheet if so?

So is the 5-footer the one that has all the autographs hidden on it? Think they'll be included in the decal sheet if so?
Nah. It's the 32" with the signatures

Last edited:

Hm. I've spent an inordinate amount of time poring over 5 footer reference photos, and I don't recall any signatures. There are some pencil notes, mainly on the right mandible sidewalls, but that's mostly it. Where are these signatures?

- nkg

I can't wait to build the Bandai 1/72nd scale kit. It's the one I've been waiting for because it's the original version and I'm more excited about it than the DeAgo. I like trying to replicate the look of the ILM filming models so I tend to stick to the techniques they used. My solution to the Bandai-solvent-cracking issue is to not use solvents. It is my understanding that they didn't use oils for washes and weathering at ILM. They stuck with acrylics for speed. They didn't have time to wait for oils to dry. And when you look at the models up close they don't have the fine gradations you get with oils. They're actually pretty crude. I tried to replicate that on a recent FM 1/48th scale Snowspeeder. The acrylic washes leave tidemarks just like the studio model.
View attachment 735816

WIP thread, plz. :thumbsup

SB

Hm. I've spent an inordinate amount of time poring over 5 footer reference photos, and I don't recall any signatures. There are some pencil notes, mainly on the right mandible sidewalls, but that's mostly it. Where are these signatures?

- nkg

If you can't see the names, then your ref isn't detailed enough!. The new Chronicles has a few shots with some names clearly seen. The names are more stenciled than written by looks, but clearly there, some very faint.

Stu

If you can't see the names, then your ref isn't detailed enough!. The new Chronicles has a few shots with some names clearly seen. The names are more stenciled than written by looks, but clearly there, some very faint.

Hm. Do you have any examples?

Hm. Do you have any examples?

I can't post the ref I have as it's not mine & cannot share publicly I'm afraid, but some examples of the names found on the underside in various places are of Lorne Peterson, Mary Lind, Joe Johnston & Paul Huston to name a few.

I'm looking for the best vendor to order this from (I'm in the US). I've had several people suggest USA Gundam Store but I'm not familiar with them. For this price point I don't want to screw this up. Suggestions welcome.

I'm looking for the best vendor to order this from (I'm in the US). I've had several people suggest USA Gundam Store but I'm not familiar with them. For this price point I don't want to screw this up. Suggestions welcome.

The Gundam Store is the only purchase option to preorder in the US at this point. I have not heard of anywhere else.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back