Bandai 1/72 PG Millennium Falcon (also the Revell Germany rebox)

Re: Bandai 1/72 Millennium Falcon

But, I see dark panels. Im seeing them, and I see them in other models from ILM too. You know why, I think, the panels kind of wash out on the screen? I think is do to the incredible harsh lights they use during filming. On the screen they are not that prominent BUT, they where enhanced with the process of detailing and weathering. I want the most realistic model possible, I imagine the battles they would have endure in the SW Universe, not only what I see in the few seconds of screen appearance. I want to CREATE not to IMITATE. I could imitate the look but I would become VERY, VERY bored in the process of doing it. The two remaining AT-ATs in my diorama would have battle damage. Damage not seen in the movies (blasphemy according to the ILM worshippers, LOL!).

I dont care how you build them, and I admire the final look of some of these. But I draw the line when someone starts to throw around all this crap about how terrible, etc, etc. I could find another examples where the same attitude has been exposed but dont see the need. I think a lot here know what I am talking about. Its disrespectful, plain and simple. And I felt I needed to say something about it.

Sorry, ive seen some of the ILM models in person and have excellent photos from several sources in good lighting. i dont see panel lines on them.
There might be some areas that may have it but its not a key element among the line of ships.

Its one thing to say you want to take artistic license and to create your ships with panel lines.
Its another to say that the original ships had them when they didnt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This sounds similar to arguments about costumes and props. Stormtroopers are a good example. Some people want as close as possible to what the actual props were including bumps, rough finishing, etc. Others want something else that may be more idealized, refined, or just closer to what they envision the item actually looking like.

It's a little more difficult with models that are a different scale than the original models. I can understand arguments for finishing them differently to accommodate the different scale.

Another thing to possibly take into account is what we saw on screen wasn't always exactly how the model itself appears. Sometimes lighting and color correction changes the appearance.

In the end it's your model. Try to make it how you think it should look. It would be pretty boring if every x-wing looked almost identical.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Sorry, ive seen some of the ILM models in person and have excellent photos from several sources in good lighting. i dont see panel lines on them.
There might be some areas that may have it but its not a key element among the line of ships.

Its one thing to say you want to take artistic license and to create your ships with panel lines.
Its another to say that the original ships had them when they didnt.

The image above is from the original prop, friend. I see dark panels. You are again bringing the attitude I talk about. This belief of soemhow owning the absolute truth. Again.....do you see them or not. Mine looks very similar....not exactly of course but quite close.

Here is an image I took in the process of building:

20170603_152325 by Oscar Baez Soria, on Flickr

Am I crazy or does it look close to the original? Im not that far from it I think.

You see dark panels on the image of the original prop or not? Its an easy question. Why should I let it go when some here talk for hours on how ILM did that and that, and the rest here just keep silence? Ive only dedicated a few posts regarding what I think and provided examples. What is it that now I need to shut up? Am i been disrespectful? Some monopolize a discussion with all their "knowledge" and now that I post an opinion about it....it bothers you?

No i dont see darkened panel lines.
I see the shadows cast by the raised panels.
Those shadows disappear as soon as they get to an lighted area.
If they were darkened panel lines they would be consistently dark all around the panels, like your AT-AT.

These are the same type of shadows that the previous poster thought were panel lines on my Falcon model...yet they werent.

This sounds similar to arguments about costumes and props. Stormtroopers are a good example. Some people want as close as possible to what the actual props were including bumps, rough finishing, etc. Others want something else that may be more idealized, refined, or just closer to what they envision the item actually looking like.

It's a little more difficult with models that are a different scale than the original models. I can understand arguments for finishing them differently to accommodate the different scale.

Another thing to possibly take into account is what we saw on screen wasn't always exactly how the model itself appears. Sometimes lighting and color correction changes the appearance.

In the end it's your model. Try to make it how you think it should look. It would be pretty boring if every x-wing looked almost identical.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

My point exactly. Some spend HOURS trying to make their model as close to the original, every greeblie, every drop of paint.... Sadly you will never get the exact same looking prop you saw on the screen since during filming a lot of details fell from the model, broke, got stains, etc.... Unless you build dozens of the same model with minimal variations for each scene you will never get it exact. But if that is what you want....go for it!! I will never seriously critique that! But, refrain from disrespecting others and thinking you own the absolute wisdom.

No i dont see darkened panel lines.
I see the shadows cast by the raised panels.
Those shadows disappear as soon as they get to an lighted area.
If they were darkened panel lines they would be consistently dark all around the panels, like your AT-AT.

These are the same type of shadows that the previous poster thought were panel lines on my Falcon model...yet they werent.

I see both. Dark panels and shadows, but whatever. I will never categorize your building efforts as terrible, though, which is why I decided to express my opinion. I will try to continue my model building creating, not imitating ( I always thought artists create, at least for the most part, instead of just imitating). But, of course, I must be wrong. Am not even an artist! LOL!

Bandai 1/72 Millennium Falcon

I see both. Dark panels and shadows, but whatever. I will never categorize your building efforts as terrible, though, which is why I decided to express my opinion. I will try to continue my model building creating, not imitating ( I always thought artists create, at least for the most part, instead of just imitating). But, of course, I must be wrong.

I never called your building efforts as terrible.
It seems that if anyone expresses their opinion its an "attitude", but its not an "attitude" when you express yours?

Last edited:

I never called your building efforts as terrible.
It seems that is anyone expresses their opinion its an "attitude", but its nit an "attitude" when you express yours?

Did I said it was you? Dont think so. Of course anyone is entitled to an opinion but when that opinion is expressed using terms as "terrible" kind of it seems like some attitude. As I told you before there have been other instances when this same attitude comes forward. Going back and looking for each one would be quite the task and I will not invest the time on it. Its funny you say this because just a while ago you told me to let it go! I was expressing my opinion! Funny how thinks work. When some here spend hours talking about how ILM did whatever, Ive never seen anyone saying to "let it go". But now I post a few different opinions and Im told to let it go! Why should I? It would be interesting to know why, really curious about it.

Did I said it was you? Dont think so. Of course anyone is entitled to an opinion but when that opinion is expressed using terms as "terrible" kind of it seems like some attitude. As I told you before there have been other instances when this same attitude comes forward. Going back and looking for each one would be quite the task and I will not invest the time on it. Its funny you say this because just a while ago you told me to let it go! I was expressing my opinion! Funny how thinks work. When some here spend hours talking about how ILM did whatever, Ive never seen anyone saying to "let it go". But now I post a few different opinions and Im told to let it go! Why should I? It would be interesting to know why, really curious about it.

No, you didn't say it was me, so why are you bringing it up in a discussion about panel lines with me?

56000692.jpg
:angel

my thoughts:

If you are making a replica replica of the original filming model, then there is no discussion, but even those who make replicas sometimes they super detail cockpits and other areas so even here the cannon is broken many times.

If you want to make a model that looks cool... take the filming models as inspiration and make your own, with the risk that involves... sometimes it will go cool sometimes it will go wrong.

I think if many of you had no access to photos of the original models you would have painted your models in a different way, for me i think ILM where really lazy at the hour of adding details when painting them, probably because two reasons, first, they were doing them for filming and they came from a non digital era with many new and experimental techniques, and second, because production times and chain production, no time to get into fine detail if they are not visible or important.

Any one has noticed the real scale models they built for filming with actors have much more detail? in dirtiness and grebbling? that's because if they made a copy of the smaller model it would never look real, when i see the way many modelers paint , for example, their big deagostini falcons, some of the oil droplets are so big and surrounded by areas with greebles without any tone variation that they look out of scale to me, it looks good at the distance (original purpose of ILM) but as soon as i get closer... i demand more variation and detail.

My point is , i don't think there is right or wrong in doing washes, like any technique it's the way you apply it, and if you want to apply it, taking what ILM made as a religion is your choice, but correct me if i'm wrong, i bet that even actual digital 3D models of new star wars models add more detail into the texture and paint because no supervisor would admit the ILM style as a "final" just giving an example, see the rogue one deleted shot when the tie is facing Jyn, i don't see there the plain plastic gray that i see in many ties (model kits or original models).

cheers

Last edited:

my thoughts:

If you are making a replica replica of the original filming model, then there is no discussion, but even those who make replicas sometimes they super detail cockpits and other areas so even here the cannon is broken many times.

If you want to make a model that looks cool... take the filming models as inspiration and make your own, with the risk that involves... sometimes it will go cool sometimes it will go wrong.

I think if many of you had no access to photos of the original models you would have painted your models in a different way, for me i think ILM where really lazy at the hour of adding details when painting them, probably because two reasons, first, they were doing them for filming and they came from a non digital era with many new and experimental techniques, and second, because production times and chain production, no time to get into fine detail if they are not visible or important.

Any one has noticed the real scale models they built for filming with actors have much more detail? in dirtiness and grebbling? that's because if they made a copy of the smaller model it would never look real, when i see the way many modelers paint , for example, their big deagostini falcons, some of the oil droplets are so big and surrounded by areas with greebles without any tone variation that they look out of scale to me, it looks good at the distance (original purpose of ILM) but as soon as i get closer... i demand more variation and detail.

My point is , i don't think there is right or wrong in doing washes, like any technique it's the way you apply it, and if you want to apply it, taking what ILM made as a religion is your choice, but correct me if i'm wrong, i bet that even actual digital 3D models of new star wars models add more detail into the texture and paint because no supervisor would admit the ILM style as a "final" just giving an example, see the rogue one deleted shot when the tie is facing Jyn, i don't see there the plain plastic gray that i see in many ties (model kits or original models).

cheers

I agree as well.

Not sure what all the fuss was about. Lol

The "fuss" was about what ANOTHER person.....not you, said about what other modelers do, and how that made them look "terrible", friend. Its not the first time that another member expressed that way either. You can ignore it a few times but at some point someone, somewhere will have to say something! LOL! That same person, among others, also said that, regarding Bandai models, leaving them with the original plastic color was wrong because they ALL look like plastic in the final product. Well, nope. That AT-AT, that you classified as amazing, was done leaving it its bare plastic color! I sealed it with matte clear and added the weathering. Finally it was sealed again. It dont look like plastic to me! One should never act and behave like the ultimate authority of ANYTHING, specially when you can be proven wrong.

And now....Im out, please continue with the Falcon discussion. I will be getting one also and dont think Bandai will limit these. It would be dumb and they have shown they are not.

ILM used washes extensively.. but not for the purpose of picking out panel lines... it was more to add subtle variations in the paint coloration so that it (insert model here) didn't look like a gray blob... that something else was happening there. Heck for the SD models the panel lines are in pencil

I also agree that the original screen used models are often slightly disappointing when examined closely... Their paint is almost universally rough and sloppy... but its part of the sloppy that fools the eye into thinking its real... if it were pristine it would register as fake. its all the illusion of a real thing, as its moving (usually fast) across the screen. in short the imperfections sell it..

Jedi Dade

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back