Bandai 1/72 PG Millennium Falcon (also the Revell Germany rebox)

Re: Bandai 1/72 Millennium Falcon

Yeah I read the same thing... turpentine (not sure if turpenoid is exactly the same) plus stress on the parts leading to stress fractures.

With any snap-tight kits I've made, I've always drilled out the joint holes a lil wider because I test fit so much then just glue parts together like a regular kit. That should take care of the stress part. I've only made one Bandai kit before and it was primed with Tamiya spray can primer. I used all kids of nasty paints on it... Lacquer paints (decanted from spray cans) and Alclad to name a couple. There was heaps of stressed placed all over the kit during assembly as I modded it a lot. No stress fractures at all so there's still a little hope. I'll make sure to practice on a couple of smaller (and much cheaper) Bandai kits before trying to tackle the big girl.

30585029901_58e538bc4a_b.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

That was my worry, too, that Bandai would use the same type of plastic as their 1/144. Mine suffered from enamel wash cracks on the edges of the overhangs of the hull and I know how nasty they look -- like hairline cracks on eggs. You can't fill them properly with putty because the cracks are so thin. The technique that worked for me was fusing the plastic back together by dabbing with Tamiya thin glue, letting it seep in through the cracks and sanding lightly and repainting over it. On some of the cracks I tried to bend the hull to widen the crack gap and let the Tamiya glue in. The melted plastic will then bulge slightly when you let go -- and I wiped off the excess melted plastic with my finger, then sanded it down This is how I dealt with it -- just to reassure you that there's a way to fix it should it happen to you. The other good thing about the Falcon is that the hull comes in "sections" because of the armor plating so a repainted area camouflages easily. Just make sure that the crack is fixed well because any wash will enhance it -- just like highlighting panel lines with wash would.

I read the cracks happen when stresses are created on the joint during assembly -- then using an enamel wash during painting. That seems to be true with mine -- because I would constantly assemble and disassemble the hull to test-fit the sidewalls. And with Bandai's press-fit assembly (almost requiring no use of glue), stresses are created when you press down on areas and try to detach them as had happened to me when trying to pry the hull-halves open. So try not to stress the plastic during assembly -- and avoid prying off parts after assembly.

I read a good primer coat after assembly and before painting will prevent the cracks. This I haven't tried. I used the Tamiya AS-20 straight on as a base --- I was worried primer would hide detail. I then tried using an enamel wash over the AS-20. The cracks didn't come instantly -- they appeared after a day or two.

I've tried the 50-50 mix of Floquil Grime and Reefer White before but it turned out too yellow for me. And it's still solvent-based so I'm going for DOA's water-based paints. They've got the proper shade for the 5-footer hull. I ordered these sometime back for the 1/144 Falcon but never tried it after seeing kokarri's, Astroboy's and John's paintjobs (those guys never seemed to use fancy paints but still manage to turn out eye-popping, ILM-like paintjobs). I'll give the DOA a try this time anyway and maybe a layer of clearcoat before applying wash would keep the Falcon hull from cracking.

http://i.imgur.com/s5sP9UJ.jpg

http://www.starwars-doa.co.uk/doa-starwars-millennium-falcon-sets-2-c.asp
Just picked these up as well! Can't wait to try them.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Just picked these up as well! Can't wait to try them.

Speaking of falcon base coats, does anyone have any opinions about the two different falcons? The d.o.a. paints seem to be mixed for the 32" falcon. But as-20 perfect for the 5'footer.

Are they basically the same thing? Thoughts? The d.o.a. and the 32" look more grey than the as-20, but that may just be me.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Now you guys are seriously scaring me. I used an automotive black primer with Tamiya AS-20 as a base coat and used oils on top of that for my 1/144 and did not have that problem.I wonder if I just got lucky.

Now you guys are seriously scaring me. I used an automotive black primer with Tamiya AS-20 as a base coat and used oils on top of that for my 1/144 and did not have that problem.I wonder if I just got lucky.
That is exactly what I did.

No problems

I'm in the middle of doing a commission of the Bandai 1/144,....converting it into a ANH 3 gear,....just like my own.....I'm using the kit plastic as my reference colour.....I trust Bandai,....the plastic looks just the right shade for the colour

J

Good paint discussion here.

I've used Tamiya acrylics airbrushing them exclusively on my Bandai kits, no issues. I usually also clear coat with Johnson's Future (used to just be called Future but labeling has changed). This creates a thin protective coat. I can now use oil or enamel based washes with no problems.

I also glue (Tamiya extra thin cement ) most my joints and this might help reduce stresses.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I'm in the middle of doing a commission of the Bandai 1/144,....converting it into a ANH 3 gear,....just like my own.....I'm using the kit plastic as my reference colour.....I trust Bandai,....the plastic looks just the right shade for the colour

J
Do you see a difference in base colours between the 5 footer and the 32"?

Because the d.o.a. colour doesn't look like as-20 to me.

It's been said before, but the vagaries of cameras, sensors, monitors, lighting, white balance etc make accurate colour assessment from online photos impossible. With physical photos the printers, inks and paper stock also have their effect. Frequently studio models were (are) painted to look as intended under filming conditions, rather than as exhibits. Sometimes multiple models of different sizes are painted (slightly) different colours due to the "scale effect".
If you painted your model exactly matching paint chips from the original model, the shades will have faded/aged over the decades. . .
Of course, what you saw on the biggish screen in 1977 or your HDR TV last night, will be different again.
You can choose your references and do your best to match them, but for most people the elusive "it looks right to me" approach will do.
The more info and references the better, but don't lose the enjoyment factor, remember that Charlie Chaplin came third in a Charlie Chaplin look-a-like competition! (Maybe his gait lacked the "toe in").

Here is a shot I took of the 5ft Falcon when it was in LA a few years ago and in my opinion is as close to accurate as you are going to get as far as color reference. The flash was daylight balanced, so the color temperature is correct and is not blown out by the flash either. The flash overpowers their display lights, but the camera exposure is set for the flash. You can see a little of the display lights yellowish hue on top of the cockpit tunnel where it makes it turn. Of course how your eye sees this also depends on your monitor when you view it also.
DSC_0022.JPG

Really? Cool!

When I bought the set I knew they were intended for the ESB DeAgostini, but noticed that it came with something called NH Shade which they say is designed for panel highlights...but I was watching Bashing Kits video on his 1/144 and thought I saw that it was a shade that's based on the ANH ship...I'll see soon when I get mine in. :)

Do you see a difference in base colours between the 5 footer and the 32"?

Because the d.o.a. colour doesn't look like as-20 to me.

I saw the 32in Falcon in 1986 in an exhibit of Hollywood artifacts at the Smithsonian Museum of American History. It looked very much like the grime color that has been described, close to the beige color of the MPC kit. Funny though that the pics I took all look white/gray.

I also saw the 5ft at the Air and Space Museum in the first Star Wars exhibit in the mid 90s. It was in a spot that got a lot of sunlight from the skylights, and it looked very white/gray, much like the pics in the Archives book you mentioned. There were panels that were painted in tan and creamy beige colors, but the overall color was white/gray.

A very noob question but Bandai's kits are pre painted and easy-ish to assemble correct? I'd love to own an almost studio scale Falcon.

A very noob question but Bandai's kits are pre painted and easy-ish to assemble correct? I'd love to own an almost studio scale Falcon.

They're not pre-painted, but they are very easy to assemble and it should be mentioned the detail in their kits is amazing :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You could make a very nice falcon without properly painting it. Just use the decals, chip some of them, put on a clearcom and then weather away!

One suggestion...don't darken panel lines. It always looks terrible on star wars models

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back