Bandai 1/72 PG Millennium Falcon (also the Revell Germany rebox)

Re: Bandai 1/72 Millennium Falcon

The five foot Falcon used to film ANH in 1976/77 had nine-bladed fans with circular central discs. The digital model used for TFA had octagonal central discs, but again with 9 blades.

9918b840908583.57918119f108f.jpg

This is a photo of the five foot model taken by a fan. Fans shot by a fan.

Screen Shot 2016-09-28 at 21.36.47.jpg

This is a screen shot from a "making of" promo documentary on TFA. It shows the digital hard surface model during the Jakku escape sequence, without the paint layer applied.

StevetheSwede is doing an amazing job on my Falcon build. We've experimented with lots of different options for the rear wall and have ended up with this. ANH style decal, sculpted details removed from the rear wall kit part so the decal can be attached flat. Light bars cut out of the decal and tiny individual lights drilled to make them appear brighter than the rest of the rear wall decal. Light box enclosure facing the rear wall was cut out to allow light to illuminate the whole back wall. Two additional LED's incorporated to light up the lower light bars. Really happy with how this looks. Thanks Steve!

33-Falcon-Construction-311217.jpg

repeated... any new extras to be had... and do you all think that the paragrafix etched cockpit can be used in the Bandai kit??

ANH style decal, sculpted details removed from the rear wall kit part so the decal can be attached flat. Light bars cut out of the decal and tiny individual lights drilled to make them appear brighter than the rest of the rear wall decal. Light box enclosure facing the rear wall was cut out to allow light to illuminate the whole back wall. Two additional LED's incorporated to light up the lower light bars.

hily heck YES!!! i had this thought too, but have been so scared about it i’ve avoided the cockpit for now!! thank you and the swede!!!!!

is there any chance at getting a look at how the light box looks too??? please?!?!?

Gluing in the PE grills on the rear deck. Using Gorilla glue applied with a toorhpick.
2d878931741c704cfba0419c046eec81.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Fixed up this part a little. I don't have any tiny drill bits, so I'm just going to leave those little holes how they are. I did however poke them with a needle just so they are a little deeper and less one dimensional.

sidewallmod.jpg

Fixed up this part a little. I don't have any tiny drill bits, so I'm just going to leave those little holes how they are. I did however poke them with a needle just so they are a little deeper and less one dimensional.

View attachment 784063

Looks good! I designed a 3D part for fun, though it’s not hard to drill. You know you can buy tiny drill bits with coloured plastic rings or cuffs and thicker shafts? You can simply hold those in your fingers and drill out the tiny holes. And they cost almost nothing!

Looks good! I designed a 3D part for fun, though it’s not hard to drill. You know you can buy tiny drill bits with coloured plastic rings or cuffs and thicker shafts? You can simply hold those in your fingers and drill out the tiny holes. And they cost almost nothing!
Got a link?

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Happy New Year, Falconers! Got some of my bigger items sorted over the holidays. As you may recall, I'm modifying my PG Falcon to represent the ILM 5-footer during the specific shot where the Falcon is backing out of the Death Star hangar bay.
star-wars4-movie-screencaps.com-10929 copy.jpgBlue pole copy.pngc2e77b7cb7d06265270a8532b3836fc0 copy.jpg
The 5-footer was mounted through the lower gunport for this shot, which required modifying the lower gunport assembly and window area. This is the ILM original...
5-Footer gunport mount.png
And here's my modification...
HOJ lower gunport 1.jpg
I created a mount using a brass tube that fits over the converted lamp base I'm using to replicate ILM's filming mount.
HOJ base mount 1.jpgHOJ base mount 2.jpgHOJ base mount 3.jpgHOJ base mount 4.jpg
Eventually, I'll paint the support rod a bluescreen blue color. I know some of you likely think I'm crazy for modifying the gunport to remove the Bandai gunport, but I will be able to display the model with the lower gun in place. Like on the 5-footer, I added brass pegs to the gun mount that correspond to the holes in the lower hull. The lower gun now snaps into position nicely.
HOJ lower gunport 3.jpgHOJ lower gunport 2.jpgHOJ lower gunport 4.jpg
Next, I scratch built the "random" detail inside the upper gunport to match the 5-footer in these reference photos...
6d7cfd40908583.57918119df38a-1 copy.jpg8daebb40908583.57918119dd27f copy.jpge5fb207deae6f09736e12e39b4587ef4--millennium-falcon-millenium copy.jpg
And came up with this...
HOJ Upper gunport 1.jpgHOJ Upper gunport 2.jpgHOJ gunport 3.jpgHOJ Upper gunport 4.jpg
I also finalized the "milk glass" engines using a new strip of white acrylic bent using a heat gun. After cutting it to the right length and width, I cut notches on either end so some of the acrylic is sitting behind the sidewalls to act as a light leak stop.
HOJ Engine diffuser.jpg
I now have the top hull attached and most of the final detail pieces in place. I gave the entire thing a coat of Reefer White, but still need to go back for a few touch-ups before I start the detail painting.
IMG_8837.jpgIMG_8839.jpgIMG_8835.jpgIMG_8840.jpg
Today I'm ordering JoeCS's original cockpit off Shapeways. Thanks for looking!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back