Bandai 1/72 PG Millennium Falcon (also the Revell Germany rebox)

Re: Bandai 1/72 Millennium Falcon

Colors look good, which rattle cans/brands?

Primer: Tamiya AS-7 (Neutral Gray (USAAF))
Base Coat: Tamiya AS-20 (Insignia White (USN))
Near white panels: Add thin layers of Tamiya TS-27 (Matte White)
Cool Light grey panels: Add thin layers of Tamiya Fine Surface Primer (Light Gray)
Warm Light grey panels: Add thin layers of Tamiya AS-16 (Light Gray (USAF))
Darker grey panels: Add thin layers of Tamiya AS-7 (Neutral Gray (USAAF)), plus Tamiya AS-2 (Light Gray (IJN)) for brownish tint
Red panels: Tamiya TS-33 (Dull Red)
Yellow panels: Gianotes GSS-06 (Cream Yellow) plus thin overcoats of Tamiya TS-68 Wooden Deck Tan and Tamiya AS-20 (Insignia White (USN))

Although I used Insignia White as base coat, I made quite a lot of panels whiter than that by adding thin layers of matte white.

Well done Joe. Love this method and looks like the best way (for me) to do the streaks. I've been considering different approaches but this seems the best to control both the colours and the width and length of the streaks.

I'd definitely recommend using dark gray for the streaks and not black. I was just doing this as a test but probably should have considered trying to get the color more accurate.

Great work, Lab! I think we're on the right track. :cheers
Yours:
LAB.jpg
Mine:
HOJ.jpg
ILM:
ILM 5-footer.jpg

I'd definitely recommend using dark gray for the streaks and not black. I was just doing this as a test but probably should have considered trying to get the color more accurate.

Im gonna try to match the Archive x Lark Grey for the streaks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for that Joe. I'd probably do a couple of passes with Tamiya smoke to get the desired effect, but I'll test my theory before putting it into action :)

With the March release of the PG (Standard) version, and the idiotic omission of decals in said version, I am now on the fence about whether to up the ante and stump up the extra cash for the initial release (which Amazon has in stock), or just go with the standard and not fret over missing decals! I'm OK with LED lighting, I think I could suss my own thing out for that. I'm more than happy to paint the panels, was going to anyway. I will miss the photoetch but maybe someone will release aftermarkets of those? My biggest concern would be the loss of the teeny tiny decals.
I have a FM Falcon kit unstarted, with some TonyRR upgrade parts and Paragrafix set that I am looking to flog to help pay for this, so I gotta make sure I maximise my buck, as it were!
Anybody have any sage advice? Its only about $60 USD difference based on my conversions from Amazon USA and Amazon JP where the Standard Edition is listed. Thats still $80-odd in New Zealand dollars, which means the first release version will be $700 by the time I land it here. :(

I'm doing a couple of commission builds & was gonna wait till the money comes in......but with the prospect of a lesser quality vision coming later in the year, I bit the bullet & used the credit card,...so hopefully mine will be flying in first week in Feb

J

Anybody have any sage advice?

Technically they didn't omit the decals, they're just sticker decals and not waterslides, so Bandai really didn't omit anything, from a certain point of view.

Still, the initial release provides the most bang for your buck, as it saves you time: instead of you figuring out the wiring and finding aftermarket photetch parts, you can simply just use what the kit came with. It's also more accurate to the theatrical version outside of the cockpit and other minor details.

However, do note some people do prefer the blue sublight engines over the white, so that's something.

So to summarise:

P-BANDAI MILLENNIUM FALCON
+ Lighting kit
+ Photoetch
+ Waterslide decals
+ White sublight engines

MILLENNIUM FALCON (STANDARD EDITION
+ Blue sublight engines
+ Sticker decals
+ Cheaper-ish

Last edited:

So to summarise:

P-BANDAI MILLENNIUM FALCON
+ Lighting kit
+ Photoetch
+ Waterslide decals
+ White sublight engines

MILLENNIUM FALCON (STANDARD EDITION
+ A better stand
+ Blue sublight engines
+ Sticker decals
+ Cheaper-ish

The standard edition has a better stand? I was under the impression it was the same one.

The P-Bandai stand has the Falcon on an angle, the Standard stand has it flying level to the ground.

im yet to have a proper look at my PG Falcon (still finishing off 3 other kits), but I was under the impression you could adjust the base to be at an angle or to be level. My mistake if I’m wrong.

BTW, what did you do for this staining?

Liquid masks.
Apply liquid mask to the lightest areas, spray thin stroke of grey, on top of that apply liquid mask to the second lightest areas, spray another thin stroke of grey, and repeat.

With the March release of the PG (Standard) version, and the idiotic omission of decals in said version, I am now on the fence about whether to up the ante and stump up the extra cash for the initial release (which Amazon has in stock), or just go with the standard and not fret over missing decals! I'm OK with LED lighting, I think I could suss my own thing out for that. I'm more than happy to paint the panels, was going to anyway. I will miss the photoetch but maybe someone will release aftermarkets of those? My biggest concern would be the loss of the teeny tiny decals.

Well, I guess the way to look at it is:

- The lighting is easily replaced with any LEDs and batteries. No big deal.
- The blue plastic diffuser pieces are kind of annoying if you're going for an ANH look, since the blue light is more TFA. They're not hard to replace, but a minor hassle. You could easily replace them with a curved strip of translucent plastic and be done with it.
- Most people shelling out to buy this expensive thing as also going to the trouble of painting it, as that's the only way to make it look good. The stickers might actually be useful in this regard - you could use the negatives of the stickers as paint masks to paint your panels!
- However, you'd be missing all the fiddly tiny detail decals. There is a third party decal set or two, scaled to the 1/72 Fine Molds Falcon. This is a smaller model, but pretty close. JBOT is one maker. However, I don't know if they include all the decals that Bandai do.
- The cockpit tunnel neck etching is a shame, but to be honest the plastic parts really aren't too bad. They're pretty detailed, simulate the weaving of the Koolshade which the etched parts don't do, and include the holes.
- However, the engine deck fans look kinda lousy as solid panels, rather than open grilles, IMO. This is one area that's too bad at the moment. I don't know if the two main makers of Star Wars etched metal components - Paragrafix and Green Strawberry - plan on making fan grille replacements. One would think it's a reasonable third party opportunity, but you'd have to wait for them to release the products.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back